Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2022, 11:08 AM   #1

Storing with 20 amps

Hi all and thanks in advance for your insights. I plan on storing my "new to me" 2019 New Aire at a place that has 20 amps available. My primary goal is to keep House and Chassis batteries charged. I don't plan on running any related appliances while storing. Will this work and if so what is the best state that the coach should be put in? What should be on and what should be turned off or adjusted to?
sjgreenawalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 12:24 PM   #2

Couple thoughts.
1) Ensure you understand what remains connected to the battery when the battery switch is 'off' (which it should be when stored). Battery switches are meant to disconnect most optional sources of power draw but not things like propane and smoke detectors. The converter should also remain connected to charge batteries and compensate for the minor draw of the sensors.
2) Assuming your batteries are LA, keeping the converter powered to charge them is required and should only consume minimal power. If your batteries are lithium, you only want them to be stored at about 50% SOC (discharge them yourself before putting them in storage) and not connected to a charger at all.
3) If you have solar, it is usually not disabled by the battery switch. Even if stored indoors, if the area has windows, the solar will charge a little. This may be enough to keep LA batteries charged and may also be enough to top off Lithium (which is a bad thing).
4) Be cognizant of the receptacle you plug into. Is it GFCI? Leaving a long-term load on a GFCI can result in the GFCI tripping from power line transients and leaving your RV un-powered for long periods, possibly resulting in dead or destroyed batteries. If you have a choice, use a non-GFCI outlet (or check it freequently).
5) Typically speaking, most converters are separated from the starter battery by the split charge relay (when the engine is off). Your converter WILL keep your house batteries charged but will not do anything for your starter battery. Self-discharge of LA batteries is around 10%/month so depending on how long it will be stored, you may need to connect a small trickle charger to the starter battery.

Not trying to be all-inclusive....Lots to consider when storing....likely lots of 'news' articles written by well-underqualified 'influencers' online.....make sure you 1) consider the source (their true knowledge) and 2) consider their motivation (are they trying to scare you/sell you something) before you take their 'advice'. Get a well-reasoned justification before taking advice. If they tell you to do something and can't explain why, it's probably wrong. If what I wrote above is not well enough justified, ask questions.
MechEngrSGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:30 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Over the last 17 years my three DP's have been stored in my side yard, running on 20 amps. This includes charging and the residential refer running.

The only issue.....how trusted is that power. Many report that while in storage, the power went out for a couple of days, and they didn't know it. If the facility has WiFi or they'll let you log on to theirs, you can set up a device that notifies you if the power goes out.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:54 PM   #4

I have a tablet connected to my cell phone plan, it stays in the NA with Alfred Camera running (free app). I can look in on it anytime, and it will alert me on any motion. Also, I have plugged into a socket that is only powered while the coach is plugged in. If the coach ever loses power, I get a notification that the tablet is not charging and then I need to go see what’s going on. I also use the tablet to watch dogs while traveling and use it’s data plan to stream to my TV. Also no GCFI- guaranteed to trip!
Old 09-26-2022, 03:44 PM   #5

I have stored my coaches on a 20 amp circuit for the past 22 years and no problems at all.

Like has been said power outages can be an unexpected problem. Say for instance another stored RV owner decides to turn on a air conditioner heat pump, and it pops the circuit breaker. You may not know it for days.

Quote:
5) Typically speaking, most converters are separated from the starter battery by the split charge relay (when the engine is off). Your converter WILL keep your house batteries charged but will not do anything for your starter battery. Self-discharge of LA batteries is around 10%/month so depending on how long it will be stored, you may need to connect a small trickle charger to the starter battery.
Not true in all cases. You have to know your system. My previous 1997 coach and my current 2006 coach do keep the starting as well as the house batteries charged. Even if you do have a system that does not charge the starting batteries, you can install a relatively inexpensive device that will keep them charged.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:45 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
We store with 20amp service and keep the front AC set to 81 degrees to help keep the humidity and temperature controlled.. tripped the breaker once when I forgot to turn off the Oasis electric heating element.
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:46 AM   #7

We have done this for years. We use the 20 amp shore to keep the batteries topped up and to keep the residential fridge/freeze cold. This keeps us from having to unpack it after every trip.

(We keep things like drinks, condiments, sometimes ice cream, etc in during the season), works like a champ.

We also do the quarter trick to know if it lower power for any significant amount of time while we were away.

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 08:50 AM   #8

20 AMP

My 40' DP is plugged in to the same and also parked on pavement and under cover. I keep 2 of the electronic rodent repellent devices pugged in 24/7, (not making and argument for them but they seem to work) I keep one in the kitchen and 1 in the basement. I also set 1 of the 2 A/C units on and set to 88 degrees. It keeps the coach dry and prevents it from getting to hot. I alternate units each month or so when I go by and check.
BeaverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:06 AM   #9

OK, I'm curious to know what the "quarter trick" is all about. Pls share.
sjgreenawalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjgreenawalt View Post
OK, I'm curious to know what the "quarter trick" is all about. Pls share.

Take a plastic drinking cup or small Tupperware and freeze a few inches of water into solid ice. Put it into your freezer standing upright and then place a quarter, dime, washer, anything metal on top of the ice. If your freezer looses power and the ice melts, the metal object will sink to the bottom and remain there even if the power comes back on and the water refreezes. Tells you at a glance if you lost power long enough to matter.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:16 AM   #11

Quarter Trick:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	quarter trick.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	377439  
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechEngrSGH View Post
Couple thoughts.
1) Ensure you understand what remains connected to the battery when the battery switch is 'off' (which it should be when stored).

Battery switches are meant to disconnect most optional sources of power draw but not things like propane and smoke detectors.

The converter should also remain connected to charge batteries and compensate for the minor draw of the sensors.
My battery disconnect switch turns off everything, including detectors. Stock setup from Thor. Nothing is left on, I checked it myself.

Converter is also isolated from the battery with the battery disconnect switch in the OFF position. Almost all converter/charger equipped gas MH are built this way.

Yes it's the switch near the door often referenced as the salesman switch.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Couple thoughts.
1) Ensure you understand what remains connected to the battery when the battery switch is 'off' (which it should be when stored). Battery switches are meant to disconnect most optional sources of power draw but not things like propane and smoke detectors. The converter should also remain connected to charge batteries and compensate for the minor draw of the sensors.
2) Assuming your batteries are LA, keeping the converter powered to charge them is required and should only consume minimal power. If your batteries are lithium, you only want them to be stored at about 50% SOC (discharge them yourself before putting them in storage) and not connected to a charger at all.
3) If you have solar, it is usually not disabled by the battery switch. Even if stored indoors, if the area has windows, the solar will charge a little. This may be enough to keep LA batteries charged and may also be enough to top off Lithium (which is a bad thing).
4) Be cognizant of the receptacle you plug into. Is it GFCI? Leaving a long-term load on a GFCI can result in the GFCI tripping from power line transients and leaving your RV un-powered for long periods, possibly resulting in dead or destroyed batteries. If you have a choice, use a non-GFCI outlet (or check it freequently).

Not trying to be all-inclusive....Lots to consider when storing....likely lots of 'news' articles written by well-underqualified 'influencers' online.....make sure you 1) consider the source (their true knowledge) and 2) consider their motivation (are they trying to scare you/sell you something) before you take their 'advice'. Get a well-reasoned justification before taking advice. If they tell you to do something and can't explain why, it's probably wrong. If what I wrote above is not well enough justified, ask questions.
Quote:
Couple thoughts.

1) consider the source (their true knowledge)
Bi-directional charging have been being used on motorhomes for many years and is almost common place now, since 2010.

Read up on BIRD or BIM ### systems.
Even as far back as the mid 90s the Lambert LE-415 was common in diesel pushers. It kept the chassis batteries charged while house batteries are charging.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Take a plastic drinking cup or small Tupperware and freeze a few inches of water into solid ice. Put it into your freezer standing upright and then place a quarter, dime, washer, anything metal on top of the ice. If your freezer looses power and the ice melts, the metal object will sink to the bottom and remain there even if the power comes back on and the water refreezes. Tells you at a glance if you lost power long enough to matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
Quarter Trick:
Yup, they got it.

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amps