Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Storm update

We had severe thunderstorms Thursday evening that lasted for hours. Even a tornado warning was in effect. We hid in the basement but could hear the hail hitting the roof.

Thought about driving over to check on the motorhome today after a friend reported three roof vents shattered on their trailer. No vents broken on ours but I did find two quarter-size round cracks at the back of the MH: one on the bumper and one on the top of the end cap at the rear. Called the adjuster to come out and 'adjust'.

Also found standing water inside the clear lens covers on the backup lights. I removed the covers, dried the inside and replaced the covers. Noticed that one of the lights didn't have the rubber seal inside the cover and the other had the seal in crooked; probably why they leaked. Have emailed the dealer to send us a seal. Not such a big deal except when we brought the MH into the state we needed to get it inspected. The shop found one of those lights out so they "cleaned the corrosion and replaced the light bulb" at a cost of $160!

While on the roof, I noticed a small solar panel that I didn't know we had. I haven't seen anything in the literature about a solar panel. I'm guessing that it's used to charge the battery that operates the entry steps because they still go in and out even with the TWO battery shutoff switches off. Am I right this time?

Oh, and I also saw the gutters. The one on the driver's side stops before it gets to the driver's window; that's why the AC water runs down over the window and marks the paint down the side.

I'm sure learning a lot about this new MH!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The small solar panel charges the chassis/engine battery(s).

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds like what we went through the other day. Severe storms rolled through our area. When I looked up and saw rotation, we decided to ride out the tornado warning in the office.

A little while later another cell came through with 70-80 MPH winds. It managed to pull out one side of my awning and shook it up real well while pulling the sliding mechanism out of socket on the awning rail. It also pulled up our satellite dish that was staked down with three stakes on each foot. Dumped it over onto the concrete pad right on the LNB...busted it into pieces.
The awning was an easy fix, but I had to have Dish Network out to replace the LNB on the dish.
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, Route 66, for that info.

John_N_Terry, do you make it a habit of asking about emergency shelter when you check in a campground? I ask when the weather is iffy and I'm surprised how many campgrounds have nothing in the way of shelter. It came home to us last year when a bad storm blew up one evening and we rode it out sitting on the end of the bed near the doorway. Sounded like someone was beating on the sides and roof of the MH with baseball bats. Really scary.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its good to hear your OK jillie since the storms blew over.
When we were at the irv2 rally in Ohio we were at a dinner show and we were all moved to the kitchen area in a hall.
Others back at camp ground I believe were in a cellar under the reception building.
They were having tornado alerts during the evening.
It must be something when in tornado alley I guess its something to inquire about this year or during the season for them.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:06 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillie View Post
Thanks, Route 66, for that info.

John_N_Terry, do you make it a habit of asking about emergency shelter when you check in a campground? I ask when the weather is iffy and I'm surprised how many campgrounds have nothing in the way of shelter. It came home to us last year when a bad storm blew up one evening and we rode it out sitting on the end of the bed near the doorway. Sounded like someone was beating on the sides and roof of the MH with baseball bats. Really scary.
Jillie, I used to chase these storms...I make it my business to know where to go. Sometimes there isn't a place, so I always make sure I have a game plan at least. While gate guarding, my game plan was to get under the cattle guard. Just nothing else out there to provide protection from a tornado. I had some blankets by the door to cover us with and some boards stashed at the end of the guard to use in case of hail.
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote