Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stove- propane or induction?

Wow thanks everyone for the informative responses on the fridge. We expect to have electric hookup more often once we move to the larger DSDP, so residential fridge it is.

Next decision point - do I want propane or induction stove? I've never had induction, but I've cooked with gas almost all of my 50+ years. I don't want to have to buy all new cookware... Our current propane stove boils water super FAST, but I have to use a simmer ring to cook rice without burning (poor low temp control). It's also messy to clean the propane stove.

Who loves or hates their stove top cooking options? Advice?

Thanks -

CC & Paul
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #2

I have no first hand operational experience but the wife loves the induction. She has one in our house as well. You will need pots and pans for use with induction. You will be amazed how fast water boils on induction. Having no propane is great.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #3
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
First induction range I have used is in my Newmar. Love it. Much better than my old propane stove.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #4

If you decide on propane make sure it is the high output Princess 3 burner.
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #5

If I put in an induction cook top the cook would cease cooking. Go with what you are used to.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DW loves induction, We have two singles that we use in the coach and one at home. The 2014 DSDP came with one of those electric stove tops and it sucks. I want to change it over to induction but it appears to be a bus job doing the countertop changes,
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That's "big" not "bus"
LongRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A portable induction cooktop is a good way to experiment. We have a built-in three-burner Atwood propane cooktop, and carry both a True Induction two-burner and NuWave single-burner induction units. On our last two week trip, the propane was shut off at the tank for the entire time. I will never go back to gas of my own choice. If we do replace the built-in Atwood with a True Induction cooktop, we can always carry a portable propane burner as a backup and for outdoor use.

I also replaced the gas range in our S&B with a GE induction range. The transition was painless. I don't miss the heat and fumes of the gas burners, and I no longer worry about my long-haired daughters (ages 9 and 12) catching their hair or clothing on fire as they learn to cook.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On the electrics - beware.

Remember very few if any RVs ever adopted 240VAC, so the cooktops are limited to 20A of 110VAC. Our 5th wheel manufacturer went to "electric" as an option and they were hated by most because they couldn't support two burners on high. One burner was fine, but if you turned on the second burner they would both go to medium and water boiling on the first one would stop.

Kind of like the clothes dryer thing. 110VAC is not a highly efficient method for heating anything using resistant as a means of heating.

We have never tried induction, so I can't say if it has the same issues or not, but based on folks saying they love them, probably not.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:47 PM   #10
YC1

For a long term emergency having propane in my RV is a must. We have not used the propane in several years.

We have two nu-wave units and can set them anywhere on the counter so can make the absolute most of the space available. We can set one on the table or even outside. Heck, in a pinch you could set one on the floor.

Yes you need pans that have some iron or whatever that is magnetic. Just grab a magnet and see if it stick. If it does, it will probably work.

The fine control with the induction is really nice. I just ordered a replacement for one that we literally wore out. The new one has been changed so I sent it back. When you lift a pan from the original one the plate beeps and shows an error. Put the pan back on and it starts cooking again. The new one has to have the start button pushed each time you lift a pan. That is just a pain if you are a pan flipper.

With the seperate cooking units I can use two different electrical circuits and not pop a breaker. With the new built in units I believe they share the available power and you cannot cook with both on high. That probably is ok.

The portable units give you tremendous options. If you want to cook outside, go for it. They clean very easily too.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:01 PM   #11

Wife and I dislike electric and induction. We prefer gas. We have induction in the house now and are getting rid of it and switching back to gas.

That being said, another consideration is the fuel. If you are always going to be in an RV park and plugged in than electric or induction if you prefer it should be okay. I can't see anyone that likes to boondock or go camping wanting electric or induction. Propane is not battery dependent when an electrical connection isn't available.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #12

I have had all three and really prefer the induction. Our 2014 came with an electric cook top and I changed it out to an induction and it was a really easy job.
hwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:23 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
love the True Induction

We love the True Induction cooktop in our 2015 Dutch Star. It boils water very fast but can also be set low enough for a real simmer or warm unlike most propane stoves. We got the cover which matches the countertop from Newmar and love it, too.
I found it pretty easy and not expensive to get good cookware to use with the induction and it's not like any of us have enough room to have a huge number of different pots.
I believe most, if not all, the new Dutch Stars are all electric which means the only choice is between a conventional electric cooktop, which wouldn't be as good, and the induction. We really like not having propane.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #14

We have a has stove but just purchased a one burner induction unit. We sit it on the counter. We really love cooking on it. It does not heat up the coach like the propane stove does. You will have to purchase new cookware.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane