Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #1

Strange cooling issue

Hello all,

I have run in to a strange cooling issue with my 2007 AllStar.

We do allot of trips in lower temps over the winter, mostly transiting out of denver west for the holidays. During the last trip anytime the outside temp was between 24 and 40 the engine temp bounced between 150 and 235, every 2 minutes or so. What it looks like is happening is the thermostat is closing, the engine temp then starts to rise over the 2 minutes in which case it opens and the temp drops in about a second. And does this over and over again regardless of load. Above 40 and below 24 the temp stays steady.

Any ideas would be great... Thanks.
Bryantclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If all wire connections to the temp sensor and dash gauge are clean and it's working properly, I'd say a new thermostat is the solution. It should close at 150, that's still 'cold' and open at 235, that's a bit above normal. The drastic change could be from the colder radiator coolant then flowing into the engine. If the thermostat is partially blocked or sticking, it could create the issue you described.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #3

I think I would first verify that the gauge is operating correctly. Do a gauge check on the diagnose menu. It will cycle all the gauges. Watch the heat one closely and compare how it reacts compared to the others. The 235 is way too hot.
Thermostat, possible, heat sender may be, fan control also possible.

Peter
Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #4

I am seeing the same thing happen on the VMSpc so I am reasonable sure it is a good read.

Would a sticking thermostat happy work outside of a region of temperatures?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #5

It certainly is strange, given the narrow window it only occurs in. Any chance your coolant level is low? Thermostat is a cheap relatively easy fix, if that solves it.

Peter
Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Do a gauge check on the diagnose menu. It will cycle all the gauges.

Peter
Peter, can you tell me how this guage test is done?
Old 01-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #7

The newer coaches have an information bar that allows this to be done within the light bar, but your, a 2000, probably has the gauge check immediately upon turning on the ignition key. It will light all warnings under each gauge and may cycle all readings to full scale and back to zero scale.
The light bar information center can be ran in manual mode or automatic. The poster's '07 probably has the info bar.

Peter
Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Yes you are correct about my setup Peter, Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #9

To follow up on this, went by cummins today, it seems that when I had the thermostat replaced last year the service tech decided he did not like the ECU settings for the cooling system and made some changes..
Old 01-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Did they tell you just what he did, your coolant temp. should not fluxulate that much, the engine should get to thermostat temp and hold close to that temp. kinda sounds like you thermostat is not working right ( maintaining proper coolant temp.) What did they change in the ECM that would cause these temp. swings?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The guage gets its information from the ECM as does vmspec, so unless the guage itself it is something else. I had a similiar issue turned out to be a bad thermostat gasket that allowed coolant to bypass the thermostat.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote