Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2022, 08:50 AM   #1

Strange wiring from relays and fuses back to 7 blade receiver

On our 2007 Newmar Baystar the 7 blade receiver housing broke so I purchased a new unit and went to install only to find that whomever pulled the wiring from the engine area to the rear of the coach used 6 white wires and 1 blue, not colored wiring that would have alerted you to which function the wiring supported. All of the wiring and cabling appeared original so I wondered is this standard practice for Newmar or was this actually replacement wiring from our coach's previous owner?

How would you recommend tracing each of the 7 non-color coordinated wires back to their respective fuses or relays to insure I wire the new 7 blade receiver correctly? I would normally just reattach the wires as they were on the original 7 blade but, my mistake, I was not careful enough removing the old unit and broke several of the small gauge wire all of the way back to the WHITE plastic wire coating, now all wires look the same.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2022, 09:14 AM   #2

I would use an DVM. If you take your black lead from the DVM and clip it to ground, just someplace on the frame or metal screw. Turn your tail lights on and then with the red lead of the DVM simply touch each of the wires until you get a reading. Label that wire. Turn the tail lights off and make sure you do not get a reading on that wire any longer. If you do change your wire label to battery from tail lights. Do the same for Left/right turn signals, brake lights, (have someone step on the pedal for you) and finally back up lights. You will need to switch your DVM to Ohm reading and then touch each of the wires until you get a reading. Label that wire ground. If everything goes right it will be the only wire remaining. Below is a diagram for how the 7 pin plug should be wired. Lastly there are other ways to do this, but this way is fast and easy. You can get a $5 DVM from Harbor Freight if you don't have one. It is something you might want to keep in the coach for trouble shooting anyway. Spend a little more and get one that has an audio Ohm alert to make it easy on yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Wireing.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	364950  
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #3

I would re-engineer it by using a multimeter and see which wires get voltage while someone exercises the blinkers, lights, brakes, ...
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:22 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The above posts are the solution. I keep multiple colors of electrical tape in my garage. Once you identify the wires, wrap an inch or so around each wire the correct color.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #5

Perfect explanation and exactly what I needed.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
Old 05-10-2022, 01:59 PM   #6

I want to thank everyone for their advice, which I utilized today, and was able to not only track the wiring but successfully install a new 7 blade receiver.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:47 AM   #7

Good job, thanks for the update. Isn't great when things go a plan.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, fuses, relay, relays, wiring