RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Gonna_Wander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 463
Strategies for winter storage in unheated garage.

I have an unheated garage I will be storing our New Aire in when it arrives. We live in southern New Jersey and I would like to avoid winterizing the RV so it can be used easily throughout the winter. I am trying to educate myself on the options to do this - short of heating the entire garage which would be very expensive. At times during the winter the temps drop into the teens and sometimes into the single digits, but usually not for very long. I have a 50amp outlet in the garage, but cannot run the Oasis boiler due to ventilation.

Here are some things I am considering, but donít know how effective they would be.

Turn the heated floors to high when the temps drop.
Put electric space heaters in the RV.
Put electric space heaters in the basement of the RV.
Hang a lightbulb in the wet-bay. I think I read that one on the forum somewhere a while ago.
Position electric heaters with blowers outside the RV, blowing heat under the RV.

Can anyone with experience with this give me some input on these ideas working, and any other thoughts on how to accomplish what I am after. Or, am I just chasing a dream?

Thanks,
Ken
__________________

__________________
New Aire 3343
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
fegans02's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 163
Congrats on the New Aire. We have London Aire in VA. We never winterize. This past winter we turned on the heated floors opened the cabinet doors turned off water pump and drained the lines. We had no problem when temps dipped below freezing
__________________

__________________
Adrienne Fegans
2015 Newmar London Aire
Richmond, VA
fegans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AB
Posts: 7,586
Ceramic electric heaters are a good option. Two in the coach, one in the basement in an area where it has room and not too close to any flammable things. With temps as you describe, I would think two in the coach and one in the basement on low should do the trick.
I'm not a big fan of the light build idea. Too many things to go wrong.
Have you thought of a Vent for your Oasis? In my opinion, that would be your best option but I'm not familiar with your facility.
__________________
2019 Unity LTV CB, pushed by a 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
DrPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 969
Why not run the oasis electrically on 'AC I & II?'
__________________
Phil and Laura (and Sam too!)
2017 DSDP 4369 on Spartan K2
2017 Unltd Rhino Rubi Recon Toad
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Gonna_Wander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by fegans02 View Post
Congrats on the New Aire. We have London Aire in VA. We never winterize. This past winter we turned on the heated floors opened the cabinet doors turned off water pump and drained the lines. We had no problem when temps dipped below freezing
Did you have the LAPD in a garage? The temps in NJ tend to be lower and lower longer than in Richmond - okay I'm jealous.

Did you leave the heated floors on all winter?

What was the purpose of opening the cabinet doors?
__________________
New Aire 3343
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Gonna_Wander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Have you thought of a Vent for your Oasis? In my opinion, that would be your best option but I'm not familiar with your facility.
Can you give some more info on how I would "Vent for your Oasis?"

The garage is pretty tight and the New Aire will only have about 2 inches of clearance from the roof of the garage.
__________________
New Aire 3343
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Gonna_Wander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Why not run the oasis electrically on 'AC I & II?'
This will be my first RV with the Oasis system and I'm not very familiar with it. My understanding was the electrical 'AC I & II were for moderately cold temps and you needed the diesel furnace to run for below freezing temps.

Do you think the electric side of things would keep the plumping from freezing with temps in the teens or below? Also, would I be able to use this with the RV in a fairly tight garage?
__________________
New Aire 3343
Gonna_Wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
NEWMARDS3724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Shelbyville, Ky
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
I have an unheated garage I will be storing our New Aire in when it arrives. We live in southern New Jersey and I would like to avoid winterizing the RV so it can be used easily throughout the winter. I am trying to educate myself on the options to do this - short of heating the entire garage which would be very expensive. At times during the winter the temps drop into the teens and sometimes into the single digits, but usually not for very long. I have a 50amp outlet in the garage, but cannot run the Oasis boiler due to ventilation.

Here are some things I am considering, but donít know how effective they would be.

Turn the heated floors to high when the temps drop.
Put electric space heaters in the RV.
Put electric space heaters in the basement of the RV.
Hang a lightbulb in the wet-bay. I think I read that one on the forum somewhere a while ago.
Position electric heaters with blowers outside the RV, blowing heat under the RV.

Can anyone with experience with this give me some input on these ideas working, and any other thoughts on how to accomplish what I am after. Or, am I just chasing a dream?

Thanks,
Ken
Congrats Ken on the upcoming purchase I am sure you will enjoy it...I pretty much followed all of your recommendations this past winter on our coach ... Some nights I got concerned others I did not however I rarely operated the Oasis and the lines were always drained when in storage... I did use a kerosine blower heater aka football sideline heaters on cold nights and ran it in to the coach in the basement for at least 2 hours a night but I got lucky it was a mild winter in Kentucky...Newmar builds a very well insulated coach and I think you will be surprised what you can get away with without winterizing.. Hope this helps a good luck my friend...

David
NEWMARDS3724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
DrPhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
This will be my first RV with the Oasis system and I'm not very familiar with it. My understanding was the electrical 'AC I & II were for moderately cold temps and you needed the diesel furnace to run for below freezing temps.



Do you think the electric side of things would keep the plumping from freezing with temps in the teens or below? Also, would I be able to use this with the RV in a fairly tight garage?


No personal experience yet, but I've been told this setting would have no trouble maintaining temperatures above freezing in a tightly enclosed garage. Add in heated floors and you'll have it roasting. These Newmars are very well insulated. Good thing you have a 50 amp outlet!
__________________
Phil and Laura (and Sam too!)
2017 DSDP 4369 on Spartan K2
2017 Unltd Rhino Rubi Recon Toad
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:40 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
fegans02's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
Did you have the LAPD in a garage? The temps in NJ tend to be lower and lower longer than in Richmond - okay I'm jealous.

Did you leave the heated floors on all winter?

What was the purpose of opening the cabinet doors?
No ladp is not in garage so it's out in strong winds and cold. Left the floors on all winter, except when we were traveling. I leave bathroom and kitchen cabinet doors open so heat can get in the area were the pipes are inside
__________________

__________________
Adrienne Fegans
2015 Newmar London Aire
Richmond, VA
fegans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heat, storage, winter



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Fiscal Cliff - Portfolio Strategies RustyJC Just Conversation 41 12-12-2012 04:28 PM
Dampness problem in unheated bedroom slide Magumba Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 5 01-30-2011 07:26 PM
Mountain Driving Strategies and Braking Techniques ... DriVer Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 44 08-15-2007 03:35 AM
Mountain Driving Strategies and Braking Techniques DriVer Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 0 08-10-2007 01:19 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×