RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #1

Strategies for winter storage in unheated garage.

I have an unheated garage I will be storing our New Aire in when it arrives. We live in southern New Jersey and I would like to avoid winterizing the RV so it can be used easily throughout the winter. I am trying to educate myself on the options to do this - short of heating the entire garage which would be very expensive. At times during the winter the temps drop into the teens and sometimes into the single digits, but usually not for very long. I have a 50amp outlet in the garage, but cannot run the Oasis boiler due to ventilation.

Here are some things I am considering, but donít know how effective they would be.

Turn the heated floors to high when the temps drop.
Put electric space heaters in the RV.
Put electric space heaters in the basement of the RV.
Hang a lightbulb in the wet-bay. I think I read that one on the forum somewhere a while ago.
Position electric heaters with blowers outside the RV, blowing heat under the RV.

Can anyone with experience with this give me some input on these ideas working, and any other thoughts on how to accomplish what I am after. Or, am I just chasing a dream?

Thanks,
Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #2

Congrats on the New Aire. We have London Aire in VA. We never winterize. This past winter we turned on the heated floors opened the cabinet doors turned off water pump and drained the lines. We had no problem when temps dipped below freezing

fegans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #3

Ceramic electric heaters are a good option. Two in the coach, one in the basement in an area where it has room and not too close to any flammable things. With temps as you describe, I would think two in the coach and one in the basement on low should do the trick.
I'm not a big fan of the light build idea. Too many things to go wrong.
Have you thought of a Vent for your Oasis? In my opinion, that would be your best option but I'm not familiar with your facility.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #4

Why not run the oasis electrically on 'AC I & II?'
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 05:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fegans02 View Post
Congrats on the New Aire. We have London Aire in VA. We never winterize. This past winter we turned on the heated floors opened the cabinet doors turned off water pump and drained the lines. We had no problem when temps dipped below freezing
Did you have the LAPD in a garage? The temps in NJ tend to be lower and lower longer than in Richmond - okay I'm jealous.

Did you leave the heated floors on all winter?

What was the purpose of opening the cabinet doors?
Old 06-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Have you thought of a Vent for your Oasis? In my opinion, that would be your best option but I'm not familiar with your facility.
Can you give some more info on how I would "Vent for your Oasis?"

The garage is pretty tight and the New Aire will only have about 2 inches of clearance from the roof of the garage.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Why not run the oasis electrically on 'AC I & II?'
This will be my first RV with the Oasis system and I'm not very familiar with it. My understanding was the electrical 'AC I & II were for moderately cold temps and you needed the diesel furnace to run for below freezing temps.

Do you think the electric side of things would keep the plumping from freezing with temps in the teens or below? Also, would I be able to use this with the RV in a fairly tight garage?
Old 06-13-2017, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
I have an unheated garage I will be storing our New Aire in when it arrives. We live in southern New Jersey and I would like to avoid winterizing the RV so it can be used easily throughout the winter. I am trying to educate myself on the options to do this - short of heating the entire garage which would be very expensive. At times during the winter the temps drop into the teens and sometimes into the single digits, but usually not for very long. I have a 50amp outlet in the garage, but cannot run the Oasis boiler due to ventilation.

Here are some things I am considering, but donít know how effective they would be.

Turn the heated floors to high when the temps drop.
Put electric space heaters in the RV.
Put electric space heaters in the basement of the RV.
Hang a lightbulb in the wet-bay. I think I read that one on the forum somewhere a while ago.
Position electric heaters with blowers outside the RV, blowing heat under the RV.

Can anyone with experience with this give me some input on these ideas working, and any other thoughts on how to accomplish what I am after. Or, am I just chasing a dream?

Thanks,
Ken
Congrats Ken on the upcoming purchase I am sure you will enjoy it...I pretty much followed all of your recommendations this past winter on our coach ... Some nights I got concerned others I did not however I rarely operated the Oasis and the lines were always drained when in storage... I did use a kerosine blower heater aka football sideline heaters on cold nights and ran it in to the coach in the basement for at least 2 hours a night but I got lucky it was a mild winter in Kentucky...Newmar builds a very well insulated coach and I think you will be surprised what you can get away with without winterizing.. Hope this helps a good luck my friend...

David
NEWMARDS3724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #9

Quote:
This will be my first RV with the Oasis system and I'm not very familiar with it. My understanding was the electrical 'AC I & II were for moderately cold temps and you needed the diesel furnace to run for below freezing temps.

Do you think the electric side of things would keep the plumping from freezing with temps in the teens or below? Also, would I be able to use this with the RV in a fairly tight garage?

No personal experience yet, but I've been told this setting would have no trouble maintaining temperatures above freezing in a tightly enclosed garage. Add in heated floors and you'll have it roasting. These Newmars are very well insulated. Good thing you have a 50 amp outlet!
DrPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Did you have the LAPD in a garage? The temps in NJ tend to be lower and lower longer than in Richmond - okay I'm jealous.

Did you leave the heated floors on all winter?

What was the purpose of opening the cabinet doors?
No ladp is not in garage so it's out in strong winds and cold. Left the floors on all winter, except when we were traveling. I leave bathroom and kitchen cabinet doors open so heat can get in the area were the pipes are inside

fegans02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, storage, winter