RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

Strongly suggest tire presure monitors

We just discovered one more reason we are glad we have a Tireminder TPMS system on our motorhome and our toad (Jeep Wrangler)! About 5 minutes into our trip from one National Park area to another in beautiful Utah, we checked the tire readings, and saw that the temperatures on the two front tires on the Jeep were quite a bit higher than expected. The psi for both tires was exactly as it had been. But a couple minutes later, the temperatures were higher still, and, about the time we were deciding to pull off the road and take a look, the alarm went off for the tire temperatures exceeding the 185 degree limit we had set.
Turns out the Air Force I braking cylinder on the brake pedal of the Jeep had come loose and slipped down so that it would not allow the brake pedal to release when we released the brake on the motorhome. The effect was like someone riding the brake for several miles, overheating the brakes, which overheated the tires on the Jeep.
We shudder to think how close we came to a dangerous disaster which could have resulted in a vehicle fire or even caused a fire for the surrounding dry brush near a National Park.
We have a new appreciation for our Tireminder system, and strongly encourage the use of a system like this for all the tires that are rolling when you travel.

jshute is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you for posting your story. I believe most RVers are using TPMS on their rigs, but it's always good to hear another good story about using one.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:11 AM   #3

Yes, thanks for sharing this. Iím a big fan of TPMS having had two flats with a travel trailer (first was without TPMS, if you donít count smoke coming from your tire as a ďmonitorĒ). Second time I was able to stop before the tire was completely flat.

As we also have an Air Force One, Iím going to give the actuator a check before our next trip. Iím also going to pay attention to the tire temperature more as well!
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:07 AM   #4

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Glad that a disaster didnít occur. It is a great reminder to all.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:18 AM   #5

Thanks for the reminder as I have not installed/programmed the sensors for our toad yet this year.....
Old 09-29-2019, 08:15 AM   #6

That is just another example of why I always tell others that a TPMS is one of my top pieces of safety equipment and I never travel without it.

I would like to think TonyDi is correct when he stated that most RVers are using one. However in our travels it would be my estimation that overall maybe 1/4 are using them.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #7

We had a similar incident when our TPMS alerted me to an overheated front tire. It turned out to be caused by a stuck brake caliper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGary View Post
.... Iím also going to pay attention to the tire temperature more as well!
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:57 AM   #8

This posting is an example to the need of putting the monitor one the toad as well. I have seen several people who don't and I knew one guy who dragged his toad with a flat till someone flagged him. Thanks for sharing.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #9

Pilots like to say "trust your instruments". When they indicate something is wrong they're probably right. Of course, you have to have the instruments first.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #10

My TireMinder about gave me a heart attack last weekend when it started beeping and showed my front driver-side tire at 22 lbs! I have the normal cold pressure set at 120 pounds. I immediately began to move to the shoulder and it quit beeping. It was back to the correct current pressure, I assume at the refresh interval when it received a new reading.

Never had this happen before and I hope it doesn't do it again.

That said, I have them on the coach and toad and wouldn't be without a monitoring system.
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:28 PM   #11

I use the EEZE TPMS, we recently got a ďno readingĒ on one of the sensors on our trip en route.
When we stopped for a break, I inspected the tire, listened, and determined it to be an error in the sensor. Removed the battery and replaced. Just removing and replacing must have allowed a reset. Works fine but it can give one pause....
2017 Jeep JKU
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:32 PM   #12

Cannot imagine being without a TPMS. I have been RVing since 1974 and have seen lots of tire problems that could have been prevented or at least the resulting damage could have been minimized or eliminated.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #13

Add on Tpms on a toad is a must imo. Also iRV2 replies.
My r/f toad tire was hotter than the rest. Even tripped the alarm. Another member pointed out the RV exhaust right in front of it would probably be the culprit and sure enough it was!

Tags
monitor