Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #15

Praise be.... The Essex ceiling cow can be conquered...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #16

I would have never thought it looked like a cow until you said it, that is pretty darn funny looking now that I see it

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #17

Just to clarify, the standard EX ceiling uses a black accent in the narrow areas. Looks like a Gateway Computer box - no offense to those with one. The pic above shows the "all white" ceiling special. You can sort of see the standard EX "cow" ceiling below..
Old 09-11-2007, 04:19 PM   #18

Actually, It was Bob Gregory's family that identified it as the "Cow Ceiling". What a great observation and fitting. If you lay in bed and look at the ceiling, you can almost hear the mooooing.

Peter
Old 09-12-2007, 04:24 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Aridon:
Well stupid question and observation.
Tile - Anyone tiled their slide out section? Not the main living area obviously that can be tiled but the part which actually slides out. Every coach I see has carpet there and thats probably because with all the movement tile will crack easily but anyone tile theirs with any success? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Airdon, as you have suggested, the slide out floor is probably too flimsy to be tiled.
I have noticed that the slide out floor in our 2007 Allstar has a hump in the corner just above the outermost rollers on the inner edge. The plywood floor is failing because the roller cannot support the weight of the walls. The weight of the walls is taken by the plywood floor 2" beyond the roller support. This cantilevered load far exceeds the strength of the plywood.

The floor has a permanent hump and when the slide out is extended and the roller has run down the ramp the wall now sits lower and is supported by the fascia where it crushes the carpet. On the exterior the slide out is damaging the hole in the body.

The floor at the rear slide out wall has not suffered as much damage because when the slide is retracted there is little or no weight on the rearward rollers as they are rolling over linoleum. The rollers on the carpet have taken all the weight as the slide moves in and out.

The roller on the carpet in the front corner takes an additional load when the lock arm is engaged. This can be measured by putting your toes under the fascia while engaging the lock arm (careful). Or by simply observing how deep the divots are in the carpet.
The floor is flimsy and that's ok but the rollers should not take the weight of the walls when the lock arm is engaged, but they do. Especially the corner roller on the carpet.
I have a busted floor and the Allstar is still under warranty.
I wonder what Newmar will do?
After the damaged floor is fixed, I will seriously consider ripping out the carpet in favor of linoleum.

2007 Allstar,
jjbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #20
cwg

quote "[Looks like a Gateway Computer box - no offense to those with one. The pic above shows the "all white" ceiling special. You can sort of see the standard EX "cow" ceiling below.."

I must be one of the odd ones because I like the "cow ceiling". When I first went into an '07 Essex in Charlotte at the FMCA rally, I slso thought of the Gateway computer scheme, and I was not too sure about it. After choosing a very light interior with a dark flooring pattern, we get a bunch of favorable comments. So, once again, they are making Fords other than in black. Really do like the all white ceiling too, however.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:12 PM   #21
Administrator Emeritus

Peter, thanks for the credit given to Lori for naming the cow ceiling...It didn't matter what you called the ceiling, as she was pretty much done riding in the BBT after the third "event"...

While I do think the all white ceiling looks really clean, I certainly don't mind my cow in the LADB....

Getting ready to leave here and head to SC,GA and then Nappanee over the next few weeks, so I'm hoping those cars will mooooove over.

I was supposed to be in GA at the State Rally,but thanks to issues beyond my control I was forced to miss my first chance of seeing Tybee Island.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #22

How about a "cow" exterior?
Old 09-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #23

I think I'd die if I saw a class A with a true black and white cow spot paint scheme

I'd have to find out who it was and eat some steaks with them one night

2008 Saturn Vue
Aridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #24

Wow - not sure what to call that paint job.... I can't place that make of coach...

Anyhow, as for the cow or non-cow ceilings, they are both really quite nice. The cow, as cwg points out, is positively superb with some dark accents (like his floor). The all white looks superb in interiors w/o dark accents. Flavors of ice cream as one on this board would say! And they are all great!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVDude:
Wow - not sure what to call that paint job.... I can't place that make of coach... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you spell NEWELL???????
TaxedtoDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:25 AM   #26
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How do you spell NEWELL??????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The grill vent under the copilot window is the giveaway.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:23 AM   #27

I didn't even notice that front vent... I guess I thought it was part of the picnic table... Better wear my glasses next time!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:08 AM   #28
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">How do you spell NEWELL??????? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummm...how about w-a-n-n-a-b-e-e ??

For my money, other than the LADB of course,it'd be a glitzed-less Marathon...

My old neighbor would kill me if I did anything but!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote