Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2018, 05:57 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Success Removing Slide Roller Tile Marks

Anyone have any success removing these tile marks? Have used protectors since day one but still have roller marks. Nothing we've tried has worked.

Thanks for replies...
cstar5634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2018, 06:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstar5634 View Post
Anyone have any success removing these tile marks? Have used protectors since day one but still have roller marks. Nothing we've tried has worked.

Thanks for replies...

Ceramic tile?

Is the tile damaged (can you feel a groove)?

Pictures?
Old 07-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I actually called Newmar on this yesterday, I was told that in production they buff the floors, I’m waiting for an email on what compounds they use. I will share the information when I get it.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:29 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Ok just got an email from Newmar, the answer is they do not recommend polishing the tiles, when they have tried it got worse. Back to square one
Old 07-24-2018, 06:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Ok just got an email from Newmar, the answer is they do not recommend polishing the tiles, when they have tried it got worse. Back to square one

Not surprised ... I'm sure there are liability issues as well as effectiveness issues.

In my case (13 year old coach with high gloss ceramic tiles) it's actually surface wear. I can't fix the wear but I try to prevent additional wear. Mine is wear under the roller where the roller contacts the floor during travel. For the last 3 years I have been taping the area, prior to bringing in the slides, with 3M/Scotch No Residue tape. 1 short piece of tape on floor directly under each roller. Pretty much stopped additional wear. After you reach your destination, deploy the slide, and look at the tape, you can see the wear pattern. The vehicle motion is grinding the rollers back and forth on the tiles.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:09 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Not surprised ... I'm sure there are liability issues as well as effectiveness issues.

In my case (13 year old coach with high gloss ceramic tiles) it's actually surface wear. I can't fix the wear but I try to prevent additional wear. Mine is wear under the roller where the roller contacts the floor during travel. For the last 3 years I have been taping the area, prior to bringing in the slides, with 3M/Scotch No Residue tape. 1 short piece of tape on floor directly under each roller. Pretty much stopped additional wear. After you reach your destination, deploy the slide, and look at the tape, you can see the wear pattern. The vehicle motion is grinding the rollers back and forth on the tiles.

Got to be kidding? Our slide must have 10 protectors. I’ll be on my knees for an hour every time laying tape. I don’t doubt you. Just lots of work. I’m getting good at bending these floor protectors [emoji23]
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
Got to be kidding? Our slide must have 10 protectors. I’ll be on my knees for an hour every time laying tape. I don’t doubt you. Just lots of work. I’m getting good at bending these floor protectors [emoji23]

nope ... not kidding ... takes maybe 3 minutes for the one flat floor slide (5 rollers). The others slides are either on carpet (bedroom) or not flat floor. I only tape where the roller rests when underway .... maybe 12" each x 5. On our Essex it's the pinch point that's an issue .... not the rolling.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting....so even with the black floor “pads”, you are still seeing wear marks? We have only had ours a bit more than a year, but so far so good. We do clean our pads to remove grit which seems to stick to them...

Our only issue is the first and last pads tend to get pushed by the slide when pulling the FWS in.

Will be watching this thread for hints to prevent wear.
richpatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:15 PM   #9

Has anyone tried a Magic Eraser?
Old 07-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpatty View Post
Interesting....so even with the black floor “pads”, you are still seeing wear marks? We have only had ours a bit more than a year, but so far so good. We do clean our pads to remove grit which seems to stick to them...

Our only issue is the first and last pads tend to get pushed by the slide when pulling the FWS in.

Will be watching this thread for hints to prevent wear.

Our slide rollers behind the driver are really bad. They destroy the floor guard just about every time. I’m suspecting the rollers are not rolling, but pushing / sliding. We are starting to get wear marks even with protectors. Scheduled for service at Newmar for September.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Has anyone tried a Magic Eraser?

The ceramic tiles are glazed in high temperature. Basically it is glass surface. When it is scratched, it is all over. It is like scratching glass window. Can not be buffed or polished. Me thinks[emoji848]
Old 07-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buly View Post
The ceramic tiles are glazed in high temperature. Basically it is glass surface. When it is scratched, it is all over. It is like scratching glass window. Can not be buffed or polished. Me thinks[emoji848]

True but I guess it's a matter of "much better" vs. "looks like new". In my case (13 years of slides going in and out) wax isn't gonna' fix it
Old 07-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Minor imperfections can be buffed from glass, the rule of thumb is if your fingernail catch’s in the mark it’s two deep.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Since we're talking about "repairing floors" I want to share a MISTAKE I made! There is a product on the market called Rejuvenate which makes claims to repair "micro scratches and abrasions" on tile floors... My recommendation is DO NOT USE IT!! I tried it before our last trip. First, you do not get a surface finish any where near the original tile finish (gloss & clarity)! When the slides are deployed the rollers leave huge marks in the finish which are worse than the marks left on the untreated tile. THEN, when you realize your mistake you have to remove the Rejuvenate from the tile... After much research I found the manufacturers suggestion is to use a cup of vinegar in a gallon of water... Good Luck With That!! I finally filled a spray bottle with pure vinegar and attacked the floor with a "pot scrubber" sponge! After two days on my hands and knees all of the Rejuvenate has been removed from our floors!! Don't make my mistake, stay away from this product!!

Tags
slide