Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2021, 12:19 AM   #1

Suggestions on an RV Vacuum

We have rented previously, but recently purchased a 2021 Newmar Bay Star. Any suggestions on a vacum that works well with the tight spaces and both flat surfaces and carpet?
Gracie2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 01:19 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe there was a discussion on this very subject a year or so ago. The general consensus seemed to be a cordless Dyson other similar type was best.

We have one of those cordless Dysons and I made a charging mount for it in a corner of our Minnie Winnie's bedroom.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:51 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I use either a Roomba or a Neato (I repair and resell these, so it differs which I have available for my own use, but I prefer a Neato) for the day to day stuff while camping. Set it to run when we leave the RV and come back to a clean floor. Then bring in the 'big' vacuum from the house for a deep clean in between times.
I also keep a handheld rechargeable vacuum in the RV for clean up of a small mess, of the type usually made when I'm working on something.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:32 AM   #4

Suggestions on an RV Vacum

Love the Shark stick vacuum, we went with the corded version.
Floor head with beater bar or just suction, multiple attachments.
Breaks down easily for compact storage. Very reasonably priced.
Works terrific!
Granite17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:52 AM   #5

We bought a Moosoo cordless vac through Amazon, and we were so happy with it that we bought one for the S&B home. Right now, they are not available on Amazon, but are available through their own web site:

https://imoosoo.com/collections/cord...ltra-quiet-k17

For the MH, we have one that has the accessories so it can be used to vacuum the towed or storage compartments or wherever you need a hand vac. Since they come apart, it's easily stored in a overhead storage compartment. The motor section is small enough that I have the charger mounted next to a small cabinet. When parked, the vacuum easily stores behind one of the captain's chairs as our MH is on the smaller side and we don't have a good place to store it fully assembled. The floor nozzle if very good on both carpeting and hard flooring.

Extra filters are available, and the filter is washable. You do have to monitor the filter. If you have good ears, you can tell by the sound of the motor when it's getting dirty and needs cleaning. You can also tell by the air flow venting from the motor.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 04:57 AM   #6

I originally carried a Ryobi cordless vac that wored very well for quick clean up. I then decided to install the Dirt Devil RV Central Vac system.

https://www.dirtdevilcentral.com/WBA...at-central-vac

It works great. I have a 35' Super C and I can reach from the cab to the rear of the coach with it.
Judge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 06:34 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
The Dyson doesn't need a long hose, and is easy to install its charging station. Works great, plenty of suction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dyson in Coach.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	336401  
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 08:37 AM   #8
D20

There are a lot out there to choose from. I purchased a cordless Dyson kit that came with the floor and carpet heads along with all the other attachments, hose, and DC and AC chargers.
Old 07-18-2021, 09:34 AM   #9

We've been full timing for a year now, and tried several different vacuums. One thing I discovered about the small stick vacuums is; their filters are small, and can quickly load up, killing the suction, especially in areas where there's a lot of fine dust-like-dirt like the Southwest. I looked over quite a few cordless vacuums and found the Shark Rocket's filter system to look like it would be more resistant to clogging, and indeed it is. Instead of a pleated filter, it has a two stage filter, the first is a large, thick, foam pad that is washable, and behind that a finer felt pad.

I want to emphasize, the problems with the other vacuums wasn't that they worked well at first, it was the extremely fine talc-like dirt that quickly plugged the pores of the filter. When you look at reviews, there is ZERO mention on how resistant to this kind of dirt the vacuums are. To try to determine which vacuum might be resistant to this dirt, I went to each manufacturer's website, and looked at the manuals to read about the filters. If it has a small pleated filter, it was crossed off the list.

The Shark model I have does not have a charging station. The motor section is removed and stored on a hook on the lower front of the wand making it self standing, and compact. We just have it in the corner of the kitchen behind the dinette. It has plenty of battery life to do our whole rig and being able to use just the vacuum with just a part of the wand to get edges, corners and cobwebs is great.

After purchasing this vacuum, I was amazed at how much fine dirt it was pulling out of our rug, that was left behind by the other vacuums, and. . . . it did not plug with fine powdery dirt! Yay!

The only tiny "nit" is: I wish it had a setting where the vacuum motor runs, but not the beater bar. As is, it is difficult to vacuum small rubber backed mats that we use in the entry and the bathroom. It can be done, but if you don't do it right, it sucks the mat into the head and stalls the beater bar. If you don't free it fast enough the beater bar motor shuts off, and you need to turn the vacuum off and on to reset the beater head. Even with that "nit" I still absolutely love the vacuum, and I'm pretty picky having spent quite a few years using expensive commercial vacuums.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 12:27 AM   #10

Smile Vacuum Question

We just wanted today thank you for your help with our vacuum question. As a couple of newbie motor home owners, we are grateful for all the assistance and the information we gather on this forum.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:55 AM   #11

I have a stick vacuum for use while on the road. Does an ok job on the floors, carpet. Small filter, short battery life, good for a quick clean. When we get home I pullout the Dyson and do a complete job.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
We've been full timing for a year now, and tried several different vacuums. One thing I discovered about the small stick vacuums is; their filters are small, and can quickly load up, killing the suction, especially in areas where there's a lot of fine dust-like-dirt like the Southwest. I looked over quite a few cordless vacuums and found the Shark Rocket's filter system to look like it would be more resistant to clogging, and indeed it is. Instead of a pleated filter, it has a two stage filter, the first is a large, thick, foam pad that is washable, and behind that a finer felt pad.

I want to emphasize, the problems with the other vacuums wasn't that they worked well at first, it was the extremely fine talc-like dirt that quickly plugged the pores of the filter. When you look at reviews, there is ZERO mention on how resistant to this kind of dirt the vacuums are. To try to determine which vacuum might be resistant to this dirt, I went to each manufacturer's website, and looked at the manuals to read about the filters. If it has a small pleated filter, it was crossed off the list.

The Shark model I have does not have a charging station. The motor section is removed and stored on a hook on the lower front of the wand making it self standing, and compact. We just have it in the corner of the kitchen behind the dinette. It has plenty of battery life to do our whole rig and being able to use just the vacuum with just a part of the wand to get edges, corners and cobwebs is great.

After purchasing this vacuum, I was amazed at how much fine dirt it was pulling out of our rug, that was left behind by the other vacuums, and. . . . it did not plug with fine powdery dirt! Yay!

The only tiny "nit" is: I wish it had a setting where the vacuum motor runs, but not the beater bar. As is, it is difficult to vacuum small rubber backed mats that we use in the entry and the bathroom. It can be done, but if you don't do it right, it sucks the mat into the head and stalls the beater bar. If you don't free it fast enough the beater bar motor shuts off, and you need to turn the vacuum off and on to reset the beater head. Even with that "nit" I still absolutely love the vacuum, and I'm pretty picky having spent quite a few years using expensive commercial vacuums.
I notice there are multiple version of Shark Rockets, which one do you use?
Old 07-19-2021, 04:14 PM   #13

Shark Rocket for us. As for the model, I have no idea.
Old 07-19-2021, 05:28 PM   #14

Thank you, they all seem like good choices, I can check the manuals. Thank you for the quick reply.