Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2015, 04:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Suggestions on new radio system

2003 Mountain Aire still has original radio in dash. Wanting to replace with a new unit. Don't to rewire the system so do you guys have suggestions about a new system. We like that the system plays through out the coach. Want to be able to plug in my phone or other items to play music. CD etc. Also the original speakers are getting a little crackily sounding. What is involved in replacing these as well. Thanks for help.
revrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 07:22 PM   #2

I made these kind of changes to my 2006 Essex

I replaced the pioneer radio with a new Kenwood system. You have to rewire the connector that attaches to the radio. Not too bad a task.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2006...de-264075.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/2006...de-264078.html
Old 12-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #3

Check these guys out, Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV, call or use the filters to get what you want, Don't know if your into Pandora or any of the other stuff. They or knowledgeable and helpful I wanted front Usb, and rear inputs for Tv and remote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
While we haven't done it yet, we bought an Alpine system that has bluetooth and XM capability to replace the Sony that is original to our (new to us) 2001 Dutch Star. One of our son's in law has the ability to handle it and will do it while we are visiting this week.

Plugging in our phone wasn't an issue but having bluetooth capabilities WERE important. And having XM was a nice ability but not a deal breaker in our choice of getting the Alpine.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:26 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
stereo install

I just finished a stereo upgrade in my 2000 Dutch Star. I put in a JVC touch screen receiver with Navigation, Pandora. Sirius, CD, Ipad/ USB. I upgraded all 4 ceiling speakers to 3 way Jensens cable of handling a 600 watt amp and the 2 front cabinet speakers to 4 X 7. I put a 4 channel Amplifier for the speakers. I also used a power amp/ subwoofer mounted in the woodwork on front of dinette booth.
Since my battery bank is located in the rear compartment curb side., I used 0 gauge audio cable 50 foot roll. I ran cable from house battery, using a 80 amp fuse close to battery. ran cable though frame rail up the drivers side A post to the cabinet where I put the Amp. I ran quality RCA cables from Dash mounted receiver up to amp. I ran 4 gauge wire from 0 gauge cable distribution block to amp.
Stereo system sound great. Nice and crisp and no distortion at any volume. Speakers and good amps make a great stereo. Bedroom and kitchen are wired as rear speaker and cabinet speakers are wired for front. The subwoofer has its own mono amp and is independently controlled via receiver.
Since I took the JVC receiver from my old MH. I just had to upgrade my system I spent $150 on all speakers, $140 on amp for stereo speakers and $160 for power amp/subwoofer. After installing system I found out that the coach battery disconnect cut off stereo during storage. The problem I had was when plugged into shore power the radio would receive shore power, keeping screen of receiver lit. To remedy this problem I installed a rocker switch in the dash to disconnect power to the screen, when radio wasn't needed. The amps would also be off with switch in the off position.
Not sure if this will help you for your needs but if I can answer any question or help you in anyway, let me know.
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
WOW, you guys are great. I don't think I can go to the extent that you have on my own. Little too complicated for my old mind. You have an awesome system. Keep giving me info though as I am going to upgrade in the near future. We don't have surround sound on tv and would like to look at adding this as well.
revrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #7

I don't have surround system either, that's why I went with the rear input on the radio as an input from the Tv, and use the existing speakers and not have to add more and wiring, the radio has ample power, I did add a subwoofer. For me, it was easier than adding Surround.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #8

I went to a local shop that works with automobile radios. I talked to them about my options. You will need to tell them the size of your current radio. When I figured out what I wanted, I brought the coach to them and they did the installation. I was pleased with the result. I got a radio with the aux port so I could listen to books on the iPod while traveling.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:22 PM   #9

If you do not want to do the work yourself any audio shop can help. You can bring the RV to them and they can give you a idea on what it will cost.

If you do want to do it yourself you can pull the radio and bring the plug to your local shop, they should have the connecter that's needed.

Many newer radios have Bluetooth however not all do. When you are there they should ask if that's something you want... If your present radio is single or double din you have the option of different type of nav decks.... Depends on the $$$$ you want to spend.

Speakers are easy to swap....

I wood suggest not ordering online and buying locally. Try a few different brands, some are easier to use vs other brands. Depending on where your radio sits vs where you sit..... A remote control might make changing the stations easier. M
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio