Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #15

Many of these answers seem to ignore the stated facts that it only happens at one faucet, op has no anode rod, and happens on city water as well as tank water.
We have the same symptom but fro bathroom sink. Would love to know an answer.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 09:20 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Many of these answers seem to ignore the stated facts that it only happens at one faucet, op has no anode rod, and happens on city water as well as tank water.
We have the same symptom but fro bathroom sink. Would love to know an answer.
We experienced the sulphur smell from just the kitchen faucet as well. Have to believe it has something to do with the aeration of the water, seems to be far more aerated at the kitchen sink than the bathrooms and that could be releasing the smell from the water.

We clearly had no more sulphur smell when we left that park.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
The sulfur smell comes from Aromatic DMS dimethylsulfide, which is made from another chemical that algae use as protection from the saltiness of their ocean home. Without this precursor chemical, water would rush out of the poor phytoplankton, leading to its salty death. The algae convert some of this protective chemical into the smelly stuff that reaches our noses when we visit a saltwater shore line. Releasing it into the water when they die is when we get the full benefit of the sulfur smell. So, they die of old age, starvation, being cooked by too much heat (any old hot water system will do that) and of course chemical poisoning (chlorine) Since Florida is mostly shore line, there is a very good likelihood that DMS is in the water table. Algae can also just form naturally in your (fresh) water tank. (The smell is enhanced by aerating and warming of the water.) The solution to the former problem is to live with it or move inland. To the later, sanitize.
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:58 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
We experienced the sulphur smell from just the kitchen faucet as well. Have to believe it has something to do with the aeration of the water, seems to be far more aerated at the kitchen sink than the bathrooms and that could be releasing the smell from the water.

We clearly had no more sulphur smell when we left that park.
See I told you it was a West Coast problem. It's the reclaimed water they are using to cut the water bill.

Seriously there has to be a filter that will fix that. Maybe a water softener.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:34 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Oh, yes. I see many folks are in Florida. This smell is a common problem there. I think iron is the problem or the water is coming from a sulfur source.

About sanitizing... I suggest looking into your own owners manual and see what your RV builder has to say about this topic.

I'm curious. How much power (amps) do you typically pull on your all electric rigs? Can you survive on 30A service, like at a repair shop? (I know. But do I really need to start a new thread for this question? )
Old 03-17-2016, 07:43 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So glad to find this thread. We have same similar issue, bathroom cold water stinks, using camp water not holding tank. First couple seconds ok, than a few seconds of BAD smell, than it is ok. If I turn on Hot water side of faucet only it is ok until I add some cold water, than the bad smell comes for a few seconds.Never get it from shower or kitchen. I have done the bleach flush and that clears it up, but a couple days later it is back. Water heater diode issue may be culprit (2002 rig) but odd the smell only comes from cold water side of the faucet.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:41 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Brief Update / Easy Sanitizing Instructions from Newmar

Consulting the owner's manual to sanitize was not entirely helpful, especially as to the confusing procedure we all know about where we mix the bleach solution in water and get it into the fresh water tank via the clear plastic tubing that we use to winterize.

So I decided to call Newmar Customer Service and got a pretty good learning experience from them this morning. FYI -- Here is what they said to do:

Shut off city water at spigot and put fresh water fill valve on panel into "Fill" position. Valve to fill will remain in "Fill" position until entire procedure is completed.

After city water is shut off and water pressure is out of city water hose (and thus the whole house water filter canister is no longer under pressure), remove the water filter canister and remove and set aside the water filter. Next, put two cups of bleach into canister and screw it back onto the canister fitting. Then re-open the city water spigot and fill the fresh water tank completely (again with valve on panel in "Fill" position).

The bleach will go immediately and thoroughly from the canister into the fresh water tank.

When the fresh water tank is full, leaving the valve on the panel in the Fill position, turn off the city water spigot, turn on the Water Pump and run the bleach water solution which is in the now full fresh water tank throughout all coach faucets, including the shower, in both hot and cold faucet positions. If necessary after running the faucets, due the amount of water used, top off the fresh water tank again.

Allow the bleach solution in full fresh water tank to sit for at least 5-6 hours (overnight is better) and then drain the fresh water tank completely. Remove the filter canister again, re-install the water filter (this is a perfect time to install a new one if a replacement is in order), re-open the city water spigot, fill the fresh water tank again and you are back in business.

For those of us truly fussy, dump the second, non-bleach fill, and wait to install the water filter with a third complete fill.

All of this, again, according to Newmar Customer Service.

So ... I am in the process of doing this and will report back to the thread tomorrow after I have completely sanitized the fresh water tank per the above.

My strong suspicion is what Swag and others have suggested (many thanks) -- it is the water supply here in Florida, rather than the coach, which has delivered the sulphur smelling water to our coach, and the reason we are getting it out of the kitchen sink and not the others is because of the higher mixing force aerator in the kitchen sink which is not present in the other smaller sinks.

Time will tell ...

Stay tuned for further developments and thanks to all who have responded.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
An additional benefit of the Clorox is disinfecting your sink drains. Leaving the concentrations in the P-traps should be very beneficial also.

Another consideration may be the installation of a Whole House RO system. Many of us have found this system very beneficial. However, system sanitation is still necessary from time to time.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Deek ... thanks for posted what Newmar said. This will be so much easier than trying to use the plastic hose. I did that once and found out there was a check valve behind the panel that did not let that procedure work as stated and had to come up with a work around (after consulting with Redbaron73). In fact I am going to do this tonight before heading out this weekend. Thanks again for passing it on.

Steve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Deek,

We had the same sulphur smell during our January stay at RiverBend. As soon as we left the park the smell was gone. Not sure what is in the water there but you may want to send a sample out for testing.
Sounds to me like a class-action lawsuit by the River Bend owners against the developer...Do you know any good lawyers?
jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:04 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsup View Post
Sounds to me like a class-action lawsuit by the River Bend owners against the developer...Do you know any good lawyers?
I'm working on it right now, Jigs.

Actually, I am now done with my experiment. Looks like it is the water as suggested by several, not the coach. Water in fresh water is fine; water from kitchen faucet when not run for a while still has sulphur smell.

At least I learned the easy procedure for sanitizing the fresh water tank with Newmar's help. That was definitely a find.

Maybe a second filter would help? Anyone think so and have any suggestions?

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 03-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Deek

Check out the thread "RO Filter System Install". At the end of the thread is a great picture of an RO system.

As we traveled around the country the drinking water quality varied tremendously. Some areas had heavy Iron and as you discovered some have significant Sulfur. And some areas simply have awful water. We are from the San Antonio Hill County and we are blessed with awesome water. I found once I installed the RO system that I got a consistent quality water regardless of where I was. The cost isn't extreme ($300+/-) and the install was pretty straight forward.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:59 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
Deek

Check out the thread "RO Filter System Install". At the end of the thread is a great picture of an RO system.

As we traveled around the country the drinking water quality varied tremendously. Some areas had heavy Iron and as you discovered some have significant Sulfur. And some areas simply have awful water. We are from the San Antonio Hill County and we are blessed with awesome water. I found once I installed the RO system that I got a consistent quality water regardless of where I was. The cost isn't extreme ($300+/-) and the install was pretty straight forward.
Thanks, Dan. I'll look into this. Seems like a great idea.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
What a Hoot!
Old 03-26-2016, 03:59 PM   #28

Had the same problem on our 2015 DSDP 4369. Occurred only when running the kitchen faucet. This is the fix that worked for us. Removed the water filter canister, took filter out, filled canister with bleach solution, and put canister back on. Turned shore water back on. Ran kitchen faucet (only) until smelled bleach. Let water system sit for about an hour without use. Problem solved. Put water filter back into the canister.
WiseGuys2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell