Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Sulphur Smell from Kitchen Faucet '15 DS 4369

Need some collective wisdom from our Newmar Intelligensia:

We are getting a sulphur smell from our kitchen sink -- but, oddly enough, NOT from either our mid coach or rear bath sinks. Water supply is city water, not fresh water tank. The sulphur smell disspates after the water is run for 25-30 seconds and only seems to occur when the sink hasn't been used for a while (e.g., overnight), but during that first 25-30 seconds, the smell is very noticeable. There is, as we understand it, no separate water filter on the kitchen sink -- and I have changed out the full house water filter with a new one which did nothing to alleviate the smell.

A motor coach friend who ran a plumbing business before retirement advised that the front sink faucet could be aerating the water more forcefully than the mid coach and rear faucets and thus stirring up the smell in the higher volume mix in the kitchen sink. Not sure one way or the other but it sounds plausible. Just never had this with any other bus we have had and wonder why we are getting this smell and, more importantly, what can be done about it.

Not sure whether anyone else has noticed this -- whether it is a function of the water supply at our resort or perhaps just something peculiar to our bus.

Would sure appreciate anyone's feedback for ideas and suggestions on what we ended up with and how to improve what we are experiencing.

Many thanks!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2016, 05:24 PM   #2

Not sure why only the kitchen sink--could be aeration, but the smell you are describing is often associated with an anode rod in your hot water collecting "gunk" or going bad [ie consummed]......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Yep, most likely from the water heater. I fight this all the time living off of well water. Your plumber is right. The more it is aerated, the more noticeable. There are several remedies. This one is a little more environmentally friendly using hydrogen peroxide. I have done this a few times and it works.

How to Eliminate Water Heater Odors.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:35 PM   #4

Have you used the coach at a campground using well water and then let it sit idle from some time?

This is not an uncommon phenomenon in RVs with an Anode Rod in the hot water heater. It is a result a reaction between the Aluminum/Zinc Anode Rod and the Sulphur content in some Well Water in campgrounds.
It usually appears after using the water and then having the coach sit idle not being used allowing the water to react with the Anode Rod.

The fix is to drain the hot water tank, replace the Anode Rod with a new one and refill the tank with fresh water. After some use the smell will go away on its own. In severe cases, a Vinegar/Water solution needs to be pumped into the tank, left to sit for a couple hours and then flushed with fresh water.

Or, trade her off on a Yeller Dog, and shoot the dog.......
Old 03-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, all good answers if there was a hot water heater but alas I believe his coach does not have one. It has an Oasis system, no anode.

Probably that Ft Myers water. We don't have that problem on the East Coast. :>))
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:31 AM   #6

I get that smell anytime I use the cold water in my shower.

No anode or smell detectable in any other faucets.

The only thing I can figure is that it is not used much and has a galvanized pipe union in it.

Don't know if yours does, just a thought.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #7

The last time I had this problem, it was because the water storage tank had stale water in it from the last camp site we had visited.

It took a couple of water changes to get it all out. Yes it smells stronger from the kitchen sink first, but hen it gets worse and you'll notice it in the shower also.

The fact that you mentioned you are using city water only is confusing, but I know in my coach, if the water pump switch is still on, the tank water and city water will mix for a second. That may be the case your system.

Draining as suggested above is your first option, but also flush all your water lines, don't want that smell in your ice maker. I've never used peroxide, but I do use chlorine bleach at small amounts when I suspect my water supply has less treatment than I'm comfortable with. Don't forget to turn off your water heater before you drain it.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:49 AM   #8

Agree--local water systems along the gulf coast [even large cities] have this issue. If it is the anode rod in the W/H, the Oasis water is in-line before the W/H so wont help with the issue. If not by-passed, there is a filter under the sink in the kitchen but that is for the separate water tap.
PS--suggest you drain and flush WH, replace anode rod, and refill with fresh water, be sure to disable electric heat element BEFORE you start this process.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
This is a common problem even in stick & brick homes. A plumber friend told me, many years ago, that bacteria grows in the tank over time.

A sanitizing bleach solution through the entire water system of your coach will clean this up. You may have to repeat it in a few months to finish the job. And, again when your tank gets some growth reestablished in the future.

We all need to drain our tanks a few time a year. I am guilty of forgetting, so I am overdue.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 03-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Sanitizing Solution; Mix 1 Gal potable water with 1/4 cup Clorox Bleach concentrate (5.25% chlorine) which is readily available at any grocery store. Don't by the scented versions.

The generally accepted method of sanitizing your RV's fresh water system as outlined below involves filling the fresh water tank with a solution of household bleach and running the solution through each faucet. Then letting it stand for at least three hours. Finally, flush the system once or twice to remove the taste and smell.

Start with a nearly full fresh water tank.
Turn the water heater off and let the water cool.
Dilute 1/4 cup of household bleach for each 15 gallons of tank capacity in to a gallon of water. 60gal. tank would require 1 cup Clorox in the gal or 4 gal of 1/4 cup per gal if you like.

Add the chlorine/water solution to the water tank. (Never pour straight bleach into the RV fresh water tank.)
One faucet at a time, let the chlorinated water run through them for one or two minutes. You should be able to smell the chlorine. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply.)
Top off the RV fresh water tank and let stand for at least three hours over night is better.
Completely drain the system by flushing the faucets for several minutes each. Open the fresh water tank drain valve to speed up emptying the tank.and Open the hot water tank drain plug and drain until it is empty.
Close all valves and faucets and drain plugs.
Fill water tank with fresh water.
Flush each faucet for several minutes each repeating until the tank is again empty. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply.)
Fill the tank again. The water should now be safe to drink but if the chlorine odor is too strong you can repeat the fresh water flush.
Your RV fresh water system should now be safe for use. Turn your hot water back on and your good to go.
FixerCQI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #11

One other possibility is you could have an air admittance valve creating the odor on the drain line. My kitchen sink had a sour smell and thats what it ended up being.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Vinny is correct -- Oasis system on all electric bus so no hot water tank.

I have maintained a 3/4 full fresh water tank during our winter season in FL and have dumped it periodically and re-filled it with fresh water. I will do so again and cleanse the system with two flushes and the bleach formula suggested to see if that does anything to change things for the better.

This is all puzzling to me for two reasons: (1) we are only using city water and not the fresh water tank while hooked up; and (2) we get the smell only out of the kitchen sink and not out of either of the other two bathroom sinks (or the shower for that matter).

After flushing process, I will report back to the Forum.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:26 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I, like hondavalk (nice bike), wonder if it's from the drain rather than from the faucet. If you fill a glass with water does it stink there, or does it just stink while water is flowing into the drain?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Deek,

We had the same sulphur smell during our January stay at RiverBend. As soon as we left the park the smell was gone. Not sure what is in the water there but you may want to send a sample out for testing.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell