Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2018, 08:49 PM   #1

Sumo Springs

I have a ‘16 BSS and I just picked it up from the shop after having front and rear sumo springs installed. All I can say is wow. The difference was immediate as soon as I pulled out of the driveway. Small bumps are all but ironed out, and large ones that used to make you wince are greatly reduced as well. I know there are a bunch of threads on these, but I would highly recommend them to anyone.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2018, 07:02 AM   #2

Thanks for posting! Always appreciate hearing experiences on different coaches to evaluate if it might be good for us!
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #3

On our last gas coach (37') I did front end alignment, weighed and adjusted tire pressures, and had a Safe-T Plus installed. However, nothing made as much of a difference in handling as having the Sumos installed. For that coach it really helped "stiffen" the sway and roll, thus made it easier to drive in windy conditions.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #4

I got it aligned as soon as I picked it up. That helped greatly as well.

I just finished a trip from Richmond to Rodanthe and heading down here today the crosswinds were brutal. It handled so much better than it did before. It was much easier to control, especially crossing the Bonner Bridge.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #5

sumo

which part number springs did you get?
Old 05-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #6

I got these for the front https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/SuperSprings/SSF-170-40-2.html

And these for the rear https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/SuperSprings/SSR-187-54-1.html
Old 05-06-2018, 11:54 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I added the Sumo max to both axles and they raised the Bay Star 1.5" to where it was when new with a light load. Now loaded and rolling at the GVWR +/- 150 lbs, the ride is much smoother over the smaller bumps. There is sort of a 2 stage feel when going over the Calif roads with chunks of pavement missing. Soft to start and quickly firming up. I attribute it to the Sumo's carrying a little above 1,000 lbs on the front axle so the leaf springs are not bent as much as before with the same load on the axle.

The Sumo's and additional suspension improvements listed in my signature made traveling in the Bay Star much more pleasant and relaxing. It is a shame Newmar does not offer suspension improvements as options on a new gas RV order. I guess they do not want the gas RVs to be too desirable compared to the diesels.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
I added the Sumo max to both axles and they raised the Bay Star 1.5" to where it was when new with a light load. Now loaded and rolling at the GVWR +/- 150 lbs, the ride is much smoother over the smaller bumps. There is sort of a 2 stage feel when going over the Calif roads with chunks of pavement missing. Soft to start and quickly firming up. I attribute it to the Sumo's carrying a little above 1,000 lbs on the front axle so the leaf springs are not bent as much as before with the same load on the axle.

The Sumo's and additional suspension improvements listed in my signature made traveling in the Bay Star much more pleasant and relaxing. It is a shame Newmar does not offer suspension improvements as options on a new gas RV order. I guess they do not want the gas RVs to be too desirable compared to the diesels.
I also gained at least an inch of ride height both front and rear on mine. I agree, they should offer these as an option from the factory like Tiffin is now doing. I was contemplating doing the road master sway bars but these have made so much of an improvement I’m not sure I want to.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
Wow, those are pricey. Thanks for the info, Im gonna order a set.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:47 PM   #10

Quote:
I have a ‘16 BSS and I just picked it up from the shop after having front and rear sumo springs installed. All I can say is wow. The difference was immediate as soon as I pulled out of the driveway. Small bumps are all but ironed out, and large ones that used to make you wince are greatly reduced as well. I know there are a bunch of threads on these, but I would highly recommend them to anyone.

I drive a '17 BSS and have considered installing Sumo Springs too. I believe there aren't any obstructions with the front installation but I believe there is a LP line obstruction to install the sumo springs on the back and I didn't see any good location to reroute the line to the furnace except inside the wheel well but that doesn't seem wise. Do you know if you had to relocate a LP line and how you resolved this obstruction? Thanks. Ranger John at jruzich25@earthlink.net or 407-955-0949
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger John View Post
I drive a '17 BSS and have considered installing Sumo Springs too. I believe there aren't any obstructions with the front installation but I believe there is a LP line obstruction to install the sumo springs on the back and I didn't see any good location to reroute the line to the furnace except inside the wheel well but that doesn't seem wise. Do you know if you had to relocate a LP line and how you resolved this obstruction? Thanks. Ranger John at jruzich25@earthlink.net or 407-955-0949
I didn’t have any issues with LP lines. There isn’t any LP appliances on my coach other than the fridge, water heater, and range and they are all well ahead of the rear axle.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:30 PM   #12

Quote:
I didn’t have any issues with LP lines. There isn’t any LP appliances on my coach other than the fridge, water heater, and range and they are all well ahead of the rear axle.

Where is your furnace located? Mine is located in the bedroom behind the rear axle and has a LP line to it. Do you have a similar setup on your BSS model?
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
My LP appliances are all around the galley which is on the passenger side just aft of the entry door which is aft of the passenger seat. Hot water heater and furnace under, cooktop on top, and refrig along side.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #14

Quote:
My BayStar 3124 drove really bad when I first got it specially not been used to drive a RV this size, however I got tired of the white knuckles moments and trying to keep a Happy face for the DW haha, so I had the front end alignment done with some improvement there but not great, had blue ox rear track bar, Safe-t-plus and Koni FSD front and rear installed that made things a lot better but not perfect, just had Sumo springs front and rear installed now that made a world of difference it was a wow! It kind of tied all those items together, I can actually feel the Safe-t plus working, and pumps are a lot more tolerable even the annoying door noise it’s gone, the notice that it’s a lot quieter ride. Too late to know if sumo springs should have been my first mod however it’s all good now that’s what matters.

Zzotte
zzotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bay star, bay star sport, sumo springs