Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2021, 01:34 AM   #1

Super Star Log

I figured I'd start a thread to keep track of all the things I do on my Super Star. Fixes, upgrades, additions, etc. "Discoveries" as to how things were done. Even planned work. Maybe someone might find it useful when they're shopping for or having one built, even on a different year or floor plan. Maybe someone at Newmar might find it and do some quality-of-product improvements.

This might be a little disjointed or rough starting out, since I'm recapping past modifications as well as current thoughts.

So as far as past changes-

• I ditched the Rand McNally GPS in favor of wireless HDMI-fed navigation system to the XSG3NA dash screen.
  • I added a Pepwave Max Transit to replace the WifiRanger/Winegard cellular system.
  • I uprated the 8.9L Cummins powerplant to 380hp/1250tq
  • I added a Tekonsha Prodigy 3 trailer brake controller. Freightliner only provides the 4 wires tied above the accelerator pedal, no connector, splicing required. Save yourself $30 on any harnesses.
  • I ran a new dedicated CB antenna cable to the firewall behind gas pedal to bypass Freightliner's multiplex system. I have not yet installed the radio.
  • I made an expensive 100' 7200 watt (10AWG/4) extension cord. Now 4 prong dryer outlets are in play from great distances.

So my change for today was self-diagnosing the HWH cascading steps. Mine would only come out 3 inches and stop unless overridden. I also had random leveling issues and the air suspension would randomly refill and lift me off the jacks. While diagnosing the steps, the HWH manual (it's all in one and confused me for a while before I found out) mentioned that the suspension systems, jack system and steps are all connected. If the steps hit something while leveling, the leveling system stops and pours air back into the airbags. This was a lightbulb moment because I was having to use the HWH master reset to get the leveling system to run after manually dumping the air suspension.

So some quick googling and numerous IRV2 threads tells me this is not a new problem, in fact, it dates back many years. The sensors in the steps go bad when rained on and it rained and blew mightily only a week ago. I was able to multimeter the curb sensors and found they were fine, but I couldn't get to the shin sensor connector. So I did what everyone else has done and pulled out the wire cutters. One snip, one removal of the shin sensor and ALL my random weird issues were fixed. The leveling jacks stay on the ground and the steps come out as intended. Ok, they might cut through a leg or two but that's what hospitals are for, right?
  • Cut shin sensor on HWH steps 9/7/21
In the process of working on the steps, I removed another major annoyance related to the steps. Every time they opened, there was a loud crunching noise as the side panel impacted something behind it. That something was a large debris shield that was poorly custom cut and even worse mounted to the bottom of the steps with two self drilling screws. I removed it for now until I can correctly trim and remount with real screws. Did Newmar get a trunk slammer special on some Chinesium self drillers? They're broken off everywhere I look.
  • Removed cascading steps underbody shield 9/7/21
  • Beginning work to correct shield 9/7/21
Speaking of the Chinesium self drillers broken off everywhere... I had to rehang BOTH rear fenders. They were both holding on by 1 screw... 1. The coach is built like a fortress on the inside, why is the exterior so bad?
  • Remounted BOTH rear fenders with real self drilling screws 9/7/21
Speaking of the inside, the HVAC ducting needs to be reconsidered. Each unit needs a transverse front/rear balance duct run to keep the AC loads relatively balanced. The rear unit currently has too little load while the front unit has too much load. Not only that, but the front HVAC ceiling plate needs to be fully foam insulated to keep condensation from forming when the door is opened for more than a moment.

• Sourcing begun for adhesive foam insulation
Other interior modification- the entertainment system. Newmar put 3 4K TVs into the coach then used the rinky dink 1080p(maybe)30 Riverpark HDMI distribution over CAT. In case you happened to wonder who the OEM is, it's Trinet, but this system is their previously discontinued version from 2014. The video will get jerky when the transmitters begin to overheat (they're glued together in an insulated cabinet) and the receivers were the best you could buy for $20. Newmar didn't even provide a 4K capable Bluray player.
  • Upgraded HDMI distribution to 4K60 with OREI Extender Splitter UHD14-EX115-K. System uses POC receivers so no power needed at TVs. You will need to supply at least 2 12" HDMI cables. 9/7/21
  • Added Oppo BDP-103D to media cabinet. Provides quality 4K upscaling with Darbee processing and 2 additional switchable HDMI inputs. 9/7/21
I am currently looking into adding an additional wireless HDMI feed from the front Xite to bring a "security camera" view to the bedroom TV. I haven't yet determined if the other outputs on the back of the Xite are really functional, though.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2021, 07:34 AM   #2

Great information, thanks for the write up. Pics would be helpful if you could post them. We won't pick ours up until next spring but this is very helpful in what to look for.

Thank you,

Pete
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:08 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
This is great stuff!! I had an issue with my steps doing the same thing and it was a faulty hydraulic cylinder on the steps..

I replaced all the self tapping screws with all threads, properly sized nuts and fender washers. they used probably 4 different kinds of self tapping screws on the fenders, which all tend to back out over time..

really like the HDMI upgrade and will have to look into that..

We did the bypass on the CB cable and installed a President McKinley CB (until I get the time to install my Yaesu 991A ham setup) and the only other thing I had to do was put a better quality antenna. even Freightliner is clueless on that FM/CB splitter installation..

I will be adding a second screen to my Xite and was told by river park that the other ports are active.. the one thing they didnt do in this Xite load is offer a lock on the cameras so you can disable the turn signal triggers.. I much prefer to keep the rear camera on at all times, so I will install a switch on the trigger lines so it can either trigger or not when the turn signal is initiated..
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
GUS2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 01:54 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Any "quality-of-product improvement" will drive the cost up to the point where people will buy something else. Products are designed for a specific market. Newmar knows the market and what people will pay. The improvements you think they should include cost money and companies are in business to make money not products. Products are just the means to do that. Try finding another RV with the "quality" you want in the price range you paid. It's not out there.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:19 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
Any "quality-of-product improvement" will drive the cost up to the point where people will buy something else. Products are designed for a specific market. Newmar knows the market and what people will pay. The improvements you think they should include cost money and companies are in business to make money not products. Products are just the means to do that. Try finding another RV with the "quality" you want in the price range you paid. It's not out there.
Rev Roy, do you recall the old commercial tag line "pay me now or pay me later"? In some if not the majority of quality improvements in the production line will reduce/eliminate warranty cost as well as inconvenience to the owner. While I understand your point, there are ALOT of opportunities for improvement that do not cost the manufacturer but would actually reduce total cost of support of a product over its lifetime.
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
Old 09-10-2021, 10:15 PM   #6

Today I made a slight safety improvement on the M2 front lights. The OEM lights are from 2002 and definitely not visible enough during the daytime. With the running lights on they're even less distinct when flashing. It's amazing that they put in LED headlamps but not signals.

Old lamps' brightest flash:

So I went with my staple and refitted with VLEDS Triton V6 Extreme Amber (3157) in the signals and Amber High Output 26 chip (194) in the fender markers, making the whole rig LED now. I would not recommend using the 26 chip versions of the 194 though, they don't really fit inside the marker light housings, but the 16 chip version should fit OK.

Running lights:

I will get a daylight shot of the turn signals as they are too hard to do at night. The turn signals are MUCH more distinct now being instant on/off (no hyperflash though!) and MUCH brighter than the incandescent bulbs. The lamp color also matches all the rest of the yellow LED marker lamps, a minor annoyance because the LED lamps are yellower than the incandescent ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_220100.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	342662   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_185141.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	342663  

Name:	20210910_220131.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	342664  
Old 09-11-2021, 01:56 AM   #7

Added a Roku Ultra to the distro cabinet.

Not sure where I'm going to find 4k60 HDR10 content to stream, though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210911_024620.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	342669  
Old 09-11-2021, 05:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I need to drive to Baton Rouge and have you help me with some of these!! great stuff!!
HAM - K5OJT - Yaesu 991A
Old 09-11-2021, 03:03 PM   #9

Full sunlight demo:

[youtube]
Old 09-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #10

A new addition was left at my door today. Courtesy of Lloyd Stegemann at Air Safe. Got a sweet discount on a demo unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210913_212016.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	295.5 KB
ID:	343005   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210913_213538.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	343006  

Old 09-13-2021, 09:03 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you get to 350 fixes and improvements like I have, let us know. Many columns on a spread sheet.
Latest one is replace the crappy pleather couch with studio recliners.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #12

Time for a full update on the Super Star. The good the bad and the ugly. I know you have been on a big trip so you should be able to give us some good info..
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Renegade View Post
Time for a full update on the Super Star. The good the bad and the ugly. I know you have been on a big trip so you should be able to give us some good info..
Did you order the new Renegade Explorer? We went by the factory earlier this week but didn't see any Explorer's on the lot. Meeting at Newmar next week to go over our build.
Fishrsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrsafe View Post
Did you order the new Renegade Explorer? We went by the factory earlier this week but didn't see any Explorer's on the lot. Meeting at Newmar next week to go over our build.
The answer to this question would require an entire new thread but the short answer to this is still waiting on the dealer I chose to deal with to figure out how they are going to handle a situation. Hopefully a full answer will come in the next few days.
The Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote