Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2020, 01:10 PM   #1

Supplemental Brake System

I own my rig a little over a year and have decided to add a supplemental braking system for the toad. I know there is a lot of discussion about whether a toad needs a braking system by law and some of the state law is ambiguous in the definition of a towed vehicle. That said the federal description is fairly clear. I guess all that does not matter to me. I am not willing to risk my assets or future on a slick attorney in a court of law if anything should ever happen. I also hear a braking system is mandatory in Canada.

Since I am fairly new to all this I would like some recommendations on a braking system. My main area of concern is “ease of use”. I am not getting any younger and want to make it as easy as possible to use. There is enough to do when setting up or tearing down. I am willing to spend a few bucks extra to make it reliable and simple. I am towing a 2014 CRV with a weight of 3540 lbs on a RoadMaster All-Terrain tow bar. I plan on having the system professionally installed.

Any help appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2020, 01:34 PM   #2

I have had various braking systems in different toads over the years. Got tired of paying a $1000 to $1500 every time I changed vehicles. I tow a 2014 Honda CRV and use the portable RVI Brake and have had no problems and it includes tire monitoring.
medpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:46 PM   #3

I also use and have the RVI 3 and have added the toad, battery charger / monitor, and the tire pressure monitoring systems that cover the coach and the toad.... but they are not included... there is an additional cost for these ad-on's... but they work seamlessly with the system. If something would happen I would definitely buy the RVI again.
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
SMI Stay-in-Play for Coach's without air. Plug in the lights and you are ready to go. Expect to pay up to $1500 installed depending on the labor rate where you live.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:05 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We use the NSA ReadyBrake system. It's simple, effective, and the lowest cost system out there. The lifetime warranty is another plus!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
SMI Stay-in-Play for Coach's without air. Plug in the lights and you are ready to go. Expect to pay up to $1500 installed depending on the labor rate where you live.
X2 on the Stay in Play. Just flip a switch any you’re good to go. No set up or unit to store between trips. It is an actual proportional system too which many are not. I did the installation myself and the instructions are very clear and easy to follow. It took me about three hours. I think I could remove it quickly if I ever need to move it to a different toad.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #7

I’m facing the same decision as you. After a lot of research I decided that the best system if I planned to keep the toad a while was the Air Force 1. If there was a chance I’ll trade in my current toad, I thought the RVI Brake 3 was the best choice. Since my toad is a 2013 Grand Cherokee, I opted for the RVI.
Good luck to you!
Bob
ExRiveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:46 PM   #8

Having had a few of the big name systems I have found the RVI system to be the best for me. Its nice because you can switch toads and its a non event.
zman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 03:56 PM   #9

We got an insanely good deal on a Brake Buddy, so that's what we use. It's not hard to set up or remove, particularly for a CR-V, which is what we've got. I leave it set on "not too sensitive" to save the toad battery but still provide emergency stop help and breakaway safety.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I use the RVI3, love the brake. Compact size and easy to setup. Not real fond of the tablet. Tablet does not really matter, brakes work with or without the tablet. It only notifies you of brake activity.

Regulations are not ambiguous. While the weight varies according to your home state in general if your toad is above 3,000 lbs a brake is required. See link for state by state regs.

https://rvibrake.com/pages/flat-towing-law
Old 06-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
We use the NSA ReadyBrake system. It's simple, effective, and the lowest cost system out there. The lifetime warranty is another plus!
just got this myself, haven't hooked it up yet. I have heard good things about it and a simple design.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:02 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
We use the RVI3.
2Newsomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #13
YC1

Used two different "electronic" ones in the past. Neither were satisfactory.

Ready Brake on the new toad. F150. Easy enough install and when hooking up it takes very little time. Works great and is smooth as heck. Does not run down the battery either.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
NSA ReadyBrake system, 10 years now. Keep it simple!!
Capt Richard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake