Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2022, 03:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Surburban Furnace Yearly Maintenance

I have a 2021 Baystar 3226 that has a Surburban (SF42Q) Furnace. I am trying hard to perform all of the maintenance items outlined in the Newmar owners manual as well as those specified by component manufacturers.

I am stumped a bit by the Surburban Furnace owners manual. They call for a yearly inspection and cleaning. Specifically clean the main burner and Blower assembly. Then inspect the venting and all gaskets. The issue I am struggling with is that is the manuanul says to "remove the furnace from the cabinet to perform these operations".

Looking at the furnace it does not seem to be an easy and straight forward process to remove the furnace.

What are other owners doing to perform these annual maintenance steps?

Thanks
KAR3226
KVSKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2022, 04:28 PM   #2

The best thing you can do for your furnace is buy bug screens for the outside. That will keep both bugs and leaves etc. out. Pulling the furnace requires disconnecting the propane which means turning everything off until you are n
done. Have all gaskets and possible replacement parts on hand before you start. I tend to just blow it out and put the screens back on unless the burner does not sound right. Get used to working on the water heater burners before you tackle the furnace and you will get a feel for tuning up a burner.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 06:39 PM   #3

I have a 2018 Bay Star and firmly believe in preventive maintenance. But I don't attempt to pull the furnace from it's compartment!! That's inviting more issues than it solves. Keep intakes/exhaust clean of bugs and debris. Check burner flame for blue color or adjust the slider to add/subtract air at the intake until you get the correct color. I also can access the recirculating air intake and make sure that is clean and clear of obstructions.

Otherwise, repair on condition and don't create an issue where none exists. Remember, the factory guidance all goes through lawyers (to protect the manufacturer) before we ever see it!

Safe travels & keep up the good work!

Tags
ace, furnace, maintenance