Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2018, 06:03 AM   #1

Surge Fault

New owner of 2018 LA in CG, plugs into pedestal and two red lights come on in the transfer/surge protector box, Silverleaf screen shows a "surge fault " message at top of screen. Power comes in on both legs and everything seems to work ok. Any one know what this "surge fault" is?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2018, 06:16 AM   #2

Just guessing and this might be a stretch but maybe you had some arcing at the pedestal? Were the prongs tight or loose? If loose I always worry about this and contact the campground office. I’ve had one continue to arc and then smoke m/melt. If not, maybe it was a fluke?
Old 04-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #3

Would suggest another site. See if it repeats.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Would suggest another site. See if it repeats.
X 2 ....
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have a fairly new coach have you ever checked your transfer switch for loose wiring?
You may have some indication of a problem building that needs attention.

Information for Newmar Owners---- Newmar search engine --- TRANSFER SWITCH RECALL
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:18 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
If you get "surge fault" the next time you plug in, the surge protection part of your surge protector or transfer switch may have failed. If it has, you're not protected against surges. Fortunately surges are much rarer than over and undervoltages, however I'd still call Newmar and get it looked at.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 04:17 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok there are Surge Guards and there are SURGE GUARDS!!! What is in that combination devie (Surge/Transfer) i likely the former MOV's (Metal Oxcide Varistors) And I'm guessing they need replacement.

Now a SURGEGUARD like the Progressiv Industries HW-50c it also has those devices, which by the way clip spikes but do nothing if you say plug in to a mis-wired 240 volt outlet using an adapter.

The HW-50c protects you if that happens.

Second possibility (if the lights go out) is the initial inruse as your A/C's and everything kick on may cause a Surge .
Old 04-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #8
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Here's another possibility: were the pedestal breakers turned off when you plugged into it? If there were not off, it is possible that you had momentary arcing before the plug prongs got seated into the receptacle. The first thing I check when approaching the pedestal for hookup is whether the breaker is off.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:39 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Here's another possibility: were the pedestal breakers turned off when you plugged into it? If there were not off, it is possible that you had momentary arcing before the plug prongs got seated into the receptacle. The first thing I check when approaching the pedestal for hookup is whether the breaker is off.

TJ
YUP! The very FIRST thing I check on a "new site" pedestal is the breaker ... and make sure it is off.... IF there is no breaker... I find one that DOES have a breaker...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote