Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 AM   #1

Surge Guard or Progressive Industries Surge Protector ?

I think it would not be a bad idea to install Surge protection. From what I have read the SURGE GUARD and the one from Progressive Industries are good. I would like opinions before I place an order. Now I know most will recommend the one they own, but I would still like to hear some feed back before I order.. Thanks in advance.. VACMAN
VACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Think you are smart to add this protection. Progressive Industries has a higher joules protection rating than Surge Guard, which is why I picked PI. I have the hard-wired EMS-LCHW30 installed on my present coach and have already ordered the EMS-LCHW50C for my new coach. Think either brand is good, but the higher spike protection sold me.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:38 AM   #3

The one I own is the Progressive direct wire (50A). It does work as advertised. Our last trip to WV the pedestal/utility had a voltage issue. I typically run a seperate cord (120v) from the pedestal around to where we set up some of the cooking stuff along with plugging in a seperate fluorescent light to the same cord.

The first night (while spleeping) I heard the contactor click out on the Progressive unit. A few minutes later I heard it click back in. The wife asked what that noise was (it is in the outside compartment under the bed) and I said the Progressive EMS. I then said we must have lost power in the campground. She said the fluorescent light outside never went off. Although it did not wake me up, the wife said she heard it do the same thing a couple more times during the night.

The next morning the fluorescent light would not come on (smelled burnt inside) and the Progressive unit was flashing a high voltage code. After we returned home I purchased a new fluorescent bulb from Home Depot and as soon as I plugged it in it blew that bulb as well. So, the high voltage messed up the light but the EMS saved the MH.

Your choice as to which to buy but I do think you need one!
Wingman02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We have the 50 amp portable Surge Guard and have had no problems with it. And more than once it has saved our electrics from brown-outs.

Rarely, if the power pedestal is too close to the ground it is very difficult to plug in.

I prefer a plug-in to the hard-wired protector in that if it is does fail (we had an RV across from us turn right around to head home as he had no power when his hard-wired protector failed) you aren't dead in the water.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have this surge guard that is hard wired between shore line, Gen to load center. Has worked well for me a few times there was a problem.

The newer ones seam more popular and for good reason will do more and have displays for current conditions and fault display.
If I were to do again would get the PI setup.
You have alot to choose from SURGE GUARDS.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I have the same as '007' and I wish I had it on my Essex before I had a power surge and lost my inverter, ice box, in wall vacuum and stuff I'm still finding. You would think a half million dollar coach would have a $300 surge protector.My friends ALFA comes standard with one.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by a k View Post
I have the same as '007' and I wish I had it on my Essex before I had a power surge and lost my inverter, ice box, in wall vacuum and stuff I'm still finding. You would think a half million dollar coach would have a $300 surge protector.My friends ALFA comes standard with one.
I was surprised that Newmar, who furnishes a lot of nice features as standard, did not include one. But in my experience, they are a necessity and I agree all RV's should come with one.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
We have the 50 amp portable Surge Guard and have had no problems with it. And more than once it has saved our electrics from brown-outs.

Rarely, if the power pedestal is too close to the ground it is very difficult to plug in.

I prefer a plug-in to the hard-wired protector in that if it is does fail (we had an RV across from us turn right around to head home as he had no power when his hard-wired protector failed) you aren't dead in the water.

Mark
My hardwired surge guard has a jumper wire you attach to bypass it if anything goes bad.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the 50 amp Surge Guard. It saved my bacon at a Life on Wheels seminar in 2007. They had the portable generator's voltage turned up too high with the thinking that when everyone arrived the voltage would be pulled back down by the load. I was getting about 138 volts! This caused the Surge Guard to turn off the power to the RV so that I did not burn out any appliances, etc. The resistors in the Surge Guard took the hit and I had to send the unit back to the factory. They repaired it and sent it back quickly and for free. I was glad that I had it. My opinion is that you need a surge guard of some sort on every RV. The brand is more like Chevy vs Ford issue and their extra features.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #10

I have the EMS-LCHW50C but have yet to install it. I have seen one member's installation where both the genset and SP are run through the EMS. I have also seen another member's installation with a pigtail between the SP cord, EMS and exterior so that if/when the EMS frys, he can bypass with a hardwired cord until the EMS can be repaired/replaced.

I just can't decide which one I want to do. The latter only protects the coach from the pedestal but is infinitely easier for me to accomplish as I can mount the EMS in the SP compartment. The former would require some major investigation and trial & error as all of the electronics (TS, LC etc) are under the master bed in a very thin space. This area would also require a lot more work to re-wire in order to get both the genset and SP cord to run through the EMS.

Decisions...decisions...
Old 07-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have mine wired prior to the switch. Granted, I don't have protection from my Genny, but Progressive states it's not necessary and I agree. The chances of a problem with your genny's power would be much, much less than a pedestal in a park and I don't run the genny much anyway.

That's not a bad thought, however, on providing an alternate plug-in if you fry the unit. Think I'll look at that.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #12

"All indications are problems with generator power are very rare so protecting the Transfer Switch is more important."

Apparently, this just made my decision for me. Perhaps I will find the time this weekend to install it...
Old 07-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I did this some time back and posted my install in this thread LCHW50 Surge Protector

Old 07-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have the hard wired SurgeGuard -- got it after we had damage to the ac from low voltage the first year we had the coach. The SurgeGuard has tripped many times for various problems, normally low voltage that I can confirm with a digital line meter in the galley. A few times I couldn't tell what the problem was until I put a multimeter on the power outlet and found one leg of the 50a low and the other quite high -- a bad circuit. I think a SurgeGuard or comparable protection ought to be the very FIRST thing a new RVer buys -- you will need it before you need even a sewer hose!!

About 18 months ago, the RV park we were in took a direct lightning hit to the catv input to the park. The surge crossed through the ground system into the park power. Many shore power boxes simply exploded. We had a blown radio, slightly damaged television, blown GFCI outlet, blown power supply on printer, burned up transfer switch, badly damaged inverter, and damaged power cord. Also, the SurgeGuard was burned up. TRC replaced the SurgeGuard free of charge. Insurance paid the majority of the other $3k damage. Even though it burned up, and even though I wouldn't expect any surge guard device to protect against a lightning strike, our damage was significantly less than other coaches around us -- I believe due to the SurgeGuard.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote