Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtommysr View Post
I was thinking of getting a new model surge guard for my new 2017 ventana le motorhome when someone told me that most new motorhomes have them built in already and they are not needed. I can't seem to find any information confirming or denying this. Does anyone have a definitive answer. I would like to know before I spend another $400.00. Thanks
Whatever you have built in, whatever it has for capabilities, it does not provide as extensive protection as a Progressive Industries full EMS unit. The Progressive Industries fully qualifies the power before gating through to the coach, to include over and under voltage. Additionally it can be configured to provide a two minute delay - thus protects against those rapid on/off cycles that can be very damaging.

I would recommend to add the Progressive Industries full EMS, either hard wired or portable. Some if the best money you can spend on you coach, imho.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #16

Thanks

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:47 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I asked Newmar why my DSDP did not come with surge protection. They answered that they leave that choice up to the customer.

I have the same question for water regulators. Why are those not standard on a new DSDP? Perhaps this is more of a liability decision the manufacturer makes?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:25 AM   #18

Carolina Campers
I see everyone talking about a Progressive Industries full EMS unit. Has anyone used the Hughs autoformer with built in surge protection. It increases low voltage by 10% so you never lose power on low voltage. It is almost double the price of the Progressive model. For what I paid for my Newmar $620.00 is a small price to pay for that protection. Any help in my decision would be greatly appreciated. I would like to buy and install befor I go to Sedalia Mo. Rally. If they are telling us to bring an extra 50 Amp extension I am sure there will be low power and or spikes. Thanks All
djtommysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Hugh's Autoformer is an excellent piece of equipment. I would like to have one for those occation where a power boost is needed. I would still have the Progressive Industries full EMS in the coach, adding in the Hugh's when needed - as most often it is not.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As for power extension cable, definitely a good thing to carry. Not needed often, but when needed it will be a very good thing to have. I carry a 30a extension (less money than a 50a).
Old 08-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #21

Please do not place a surge protector on your power cord if you have a hard wired surge protector, you will not add protection you will greatly increase the chances of a fire! Surge protectors look for a spike and clamp the power by utilizing a MOV (Metal Oxide Varisistors). If you daisy chain two surge protectors together it will desensitize the ability for the protectors to recognize the spike which will cause them both to overheat to the point of melting, thus starting a fire. This is very dangerous and includes power strips with surge protectors inside you home or coach as well.

For inside the house you can connect a non-surge power strip to a surge power strip to add more outlets as long as you are not overloading the circuit with the connected devices.[/QUOTE]

I submitted the above statement to Tech Support at Progressive Industries to get their take on this issue and this is their response.

" The situation you describe is not correct. You do not reduce the effectiveness of surge protection when you put them in series. The fire hazard is caused by the overloading the outlets. If they are not thermally protected ( By a circuit breaker or fuse, like our SSP and EMS units ) , there is a danger of fire from overloading, not from surges. This is a problem with power strips used in your home or business, not in RV applications with properly designed units."
Bud1129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surge guard