Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #1

Surge Guard Question

I have moved from an '07 Dutch Star to a '13 Mountain Aire (All Electric) and I had installed a hard-wired 50 Amp Surge Guard in the Dutch Star for peace of mind.

The electrical closet in the Mountain Aire really doesn't have the room for the permanent mount and I'm thinking of installing the Surge Guard 50 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch w/ATS.

Has anyone done this and have any feedback on the quality of the product? Also, I'm thinking the following needs to be done during the install:

1. Disconnect from shore power
2. Trip the circuit breaker on the Gen Set and turn off AGS
3. Turn off the Inverter.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks,
Joe

2013 Mountain Aire
PoetryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:05 PM   #2

There is only one device I would use ..... the Progressive Industries EMS .... either hard wired or portable. Do a forum search to read the positive comments about the device.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi PoetryJoe,
I have not done what you want to do. Consider contacting Newmar service before turning everything off. The Aire line of coaches are complex when it comes to the electric and the whistles and bells that go along with a luxury coach. There may be a specific order of events that should be followed before turning off the electric to ensure the coach "re-boots" itself properly. Newmar customer service is at 800-731-8300.

I suggest this because in another thread an Essex owner provided advice on a specific procedure for shutting down an Essex for long term storage. If the procedure was not followed, some of the coaches features would be lost (like the cockpit monitor forgetting all the different things it monitors).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote