Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2022, 08:18 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Test the cord

One simple thing that I have not seen mentioned is to test the cord and plug. you could have a break in the cable which does happen or the molded connector could have a bad connection.
Disconnect your plug and turn off all power. Open the transfer switch and where the cord is connected to the contactor, test with your multimeter set to continuity. Place one end on one of the prongs of the plug and the other on the corresponding contact in the transfer switch. The round is ground (green), the flat pron on the opposite end is the neutral (white) and the two sides prongs are the hots (red and black). If all shows a good connection, it is not the cord or plug.
Good luck.
jdavis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2022, 10:58 PM   #44

Update: Problem solved

First, thanks for all of the input and advice over the last week or so. Even those suggestions that did not yield a fix served to better educate me on this very complicated piece of machinery.

Long story short, it was likely a self-inflicted injury. Several days ago I moved to a new park and initially had the same issues with shore power, so that told me that the problem was likely my issue and not the CG's. I eventually got power to connect and was able to run my ACs, but the next day shore power disconnected once again. That's when it occurred to me that early this year, when the rig was in for service, I had them replace the original but damaged shore power plug with a new plug. I wondered if that was the issue. Clearly it was (see pic).

It was self-inflicted because I realized that my practice has been to keep the power cord connected to the external Surge Guard when reeling in and storing the power cord. The result of that practice, given the tight quarters in the power reel compartment, was that the cord going into that aftermarket plug was bent at an extreme angle and thereby stretched and pulled over time such that it likely pulled those wires loose. Mystery solved....and practice changed. Again, thanks for all of the input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7310.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	368756  
Old 06-20-2022, 07:36 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
I would sodder & crimp on eyes to each wire then attach them to each appropriate terminal. I would also pot the inside of that plug with silicone to make it weather-proof.

Also make sure that the strain relief is tightly securing the cord against the plug opening such that if any pulling is done on the plug/cord that it cannot affect the cord or connections.
Surf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:35 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to MarkandJodie Send a message via MSN to MarkandJodie Send a message via Yahoo to MarkandJodie
My Takeaways

1. I enjoyed reading this post and all of the responses. I learned a few things that I hope I never have to use but you can never know too much about this stuff.

2. Thanks for posting your 'problem solved'. Too many times the OP will fix the problem and just disappear from the forum leaving everyone to wonder what the issue actually was.

3. As it turned out, your a/c shutdown and electric plug-in procedure was not the culprit, but I did attend an Onan generator seminar a couple of years ago and the factory rep said that while a gennie can operate while on shore power, the two don't really love working together at the same time. When I come into a campground with a/c's and gennie running, I shut down the a/c's, then turn off the generator, then hook up shore power. Maybe it's overkill, but it makes me feel better. Plus, without the noise from the gen, I can hear that "clunk" of the electric control box solenoids kick in. Then I check my power display on my spyder unit, and if all looks well I turn the a/c's back on.

4. It looks from your photo that the white wire was not even close to being screwed into its terminal. If that was the case all along, I am surprised your onboard electrical worked at all, at least without starting a fire!

Happy trails!
MarkandJodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:48 PM   #47

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Jayco Owners Club
Power issues.

This is exactly what this forum is great for. Just a pile of good information back and forth. You guys are super. Happy camping.
Marshalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepoland5 View Post
First, thanks for all of the input and advice over the last week or so. Even those suggestions that did not yield a fix served to better educate me on this very complicated piece of machinery.

Long story short, it was likely a self-inflicted injury. Several days ago I moved to a new park and initially had the same issues with shore power, so that told me that the problem was likely my issue and not the CG's. I eventually got power to connect and was able to run my ACs, but the next day shore power disconnected once again. That's when it occurred to me that early this year, when the rig was in for service, I had them replace the original but damaged shore power plug with a new plug. I wondered if that was the issue. Clearly it was (see pic).

It was self-inflicted because I realized that my practice has been to keep the power cord connected to the external Surge Guard when reeling in and storing the power cord. The result of that practice, given the tight quarters in the power reel compartment, was that the cord going into that aftermarket plug was bent at an extreme angle and thereby stretched and pulled over time such that it likely pulled those wires loose. Mystery solved....and practice changed. Again, thanks for all of the input!
That plug was poorly done, I just did one yesterday, notice how I carefully curved the wires in loops to allow slack, and I trimmed them the exact length to fit the lugs after orienting the cord so each wire would naturally and gently line up with it's terminal. Then tighten the lower clamp snug enough so that the cable will not move or pull out. (The loops have enough slack that they are not pressed against adjacent terminals and they are down in the recess below the pressure plates with plastic on both sides)
I do not recommend solder or terminals as they will interfere with the intended design of the pressure plates. Just trim the conductor to the exact length of the pressure plate, twist and insert into the v shaped trough making sure all the strands are captured.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	368844  
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:21 PM   #49

My example is a 30 amp but still applies to your 50 which I didn't notice at first glance.
bigb56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:04 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
My example is a 30 amp but still applies to your 50 which I didn't notice at first glance.
It's still a good example of a neat though out job.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:30 PM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
It's still a good example of a neat though out job.
Agreed. Nice install!

Those Camco connectors are not to be trusted. I had one get resistance in the blades and then melt. Was not pretty. Please use electrical grease and keep the blades clean and shiny.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:34 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf Fisher View Post
I would sodder & crimp on eyes to each wire then attach them to each appropriate terminal. I would also pot the inside of that plug with silicone to make it weather-proof.

Also make sure that the strain relief is tightly securing the cord against the plug opening such that if any pulling is done on the plug/cord that it cannot affect the cord or connections.
Only solder and add terminals if recommended for the connectors - I would bet soldering and ring terminals are not advised by the mfg of these connectors.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:07 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
When using RV products, I have done lots of modifications that have gone against manufacturing recommendations over the years. Nt one of them have failed! However, my common sense trumps any manufacturers recommendations especially when it comes to creating a very secure electrical connection.

How many times have you come across RV manufacturers using Wire Nuts for electrical connections in a vehicle that is an "earthquake moving down the road"? Absolutely no common sense at all. Wire Nuts are great for home electrical connections but not in a vehicle where there is constant movement and vibrations.
Surf Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 04:37 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=jepoland5;6212280]We drove about 4 hours this afternoon back to our "regular" CG in the Texas heat. We ran the generator the whole time in order to run the ACs and not pass out.

If a surge guard works like a GFIC breaker running one into another will not work. They actually work against each other.
Axeman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 06:04 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepoland5 View Post
We drove about 4 hours this afternoon back to our "regular" CG in the Texas heat. We ran the generator the whole time in order to run the ACs and not pass out. That was the first time I have done that (run the generator while driving), or at least the first time I've done it for that length of time. We pulled into the CG and I went through my normal set-up routine. I made sure the pedestal breaker was off, I plugged my Surge Guard 34950 into the pedestal, adjusted the cord length, then I turned on the pedestal breaker. The SG did its thing and indicated normal power at the pedestal. I went back inside the coach, where the generator was still running along with all three AC units, and I turned off the generator. As I was doing so, a voice in my head asked, "should you have turned off the AC units before transferring to shore power?" Unfortunately, I didn't react to that voice until after the generator was off for a few moments, but I did turn them all off. However, the Power Control System panel said "no service." I turned the generator and the AC back on so that we could get some air in the coach (it was 104*) and ran it for 10-15 minutes while I double checked the pedestal, the surge guard, and every circuit breaker I could find. Then I shut off the AC units, shut off the generator, waited a few minutes, and turned the pedestal back on. Viola, shore power!.....until I turned on the AC units (yes, all 3) and we lost power again. Haven't been able to get it back. Any suggestions? Have I fried something? Have had zero issues with power and the transfer switch up until now. The ONLY thing different between this set-up and every other one over the last six months is that I had both the generator and the ACs running when I plugged into shore. One last observation: there is a red led light on the transfer switch case. It was solid red when the generator was running, but it is flashing with the generator off and plugged into shore. Thanks for any help.
--------------------------------------------------
Hi. I have a 2022 Baystar so maybe some difference but if this helps, a review of things on the shore power side. If you know all this apologies.

I installed the fixed Surge guard in my rear shore power bay and it has had issues, not thought the surge guards fault (see later).

Post power on a 50A supply is split L1 and L2. Both separately are suppose to deliver just over 120V each line. L1 30A limit, L2, 20A limit. Across L1 and L2 you get 240v.

So with the Generator on, the SG will ignore any incoming shore power but should detect it and have L1 and L2 red lights on and power good, green light on. As you know after first plugging in the SG takes 120 seconds to engage its contactors and let power though. This is a Period of shore power assessment for over, under and surge and when happy it let's power through.

If you have a multimeter and are electrically confident. Open your main breaker panel inside the RV and with shore power on and all lights in the SG good, check both legs of your supply, L1 and L2 against Neutral. Do you get 120V approxiatmety on L1 and then L2. If you are not confident, please don't attempt this. L1 will likely split off via a breaker and feed your charge/inverter but also feed one of your ACs. L2 in my case feeds AC2. so may be useful to know what your ACs are powered from in this arrangement. L1, L2, which AC's?

This L1 goes as a rule to your charger inverter, then the inverters output goes to a second panel in your RV which feeds non AC loads, for example your domestic fridge, TV sockets, wall sockets).

If your L1 and L2 at the initial panel is good and your inverter is working fine and its outputting either 12V or 24 V on the low voltage side and charging batter y bank (depending on your DS low voltage set up), test if your ACs on the roof have 120V. Caution when opening up the AC covers on the roof.

If all other 120V sockets, GFCI sockets etc have good power and not just supported by the inverter, then so far all seems good.

Your AC wall control (well in my case its Dometic and Penguin II ACs) this also needs a low voltage supply, in my case 12V. Does the AC control panel light up and turn on and show any error codes? If not the issue could be the low voltage side that runs the wall control. If you are touch panel, is there a resettable low voltage breaker or fuse or has a fuse blown on the low voltage side?

If shore power is OK and Generator is working fine and all other low voltage systems seem ok, it could be an issue with your AC low voltage control, but for all 3 to go seems unlikely.

Camp power posts are not what they seem.Each post generally is in a line with the feed to a row of RVs. If your down that row and other RVs are pulling power, its often the case that those further down when on load, have a lower voltage. I think surge guard relays cut off at an under voltage of 108V on any line.

In this recent summer heat, power posts are often providing below volts and this can trip your SG off. It will reset, wait 120 seconds and try again. If not happy it will cut out again. Parks just test volts at the post and don't run tests on load. There are also cases recently of power gen companies struggling in the heat and distribution volts, even on HV lines are reduced to reduce losses.

If you hear regular clicking from your surge guard, its not happy with power and is cycling. Mine being RV mounted makes it easy to hear it clunk off and then later back on and off again.

Something else to have checked. ACs when the motor kicks in demand a large, short term current called Locked Rotor Amps (LRA), If 2 ACs demand at the same time you could be demanding well above what the camp post can provide. it last a second or less but can be an issue.

If all seems good power wise apart from the ACs, and low voltage DC side is good, have the AC power supply capacitors checked. If these are gone you will not have 120V supplied inside the AC.

Hope thats gives some considerations. I run softart on my ACs to reduce the initial LRA demand and replaced my factory charger inverter for Victron. Its saved me a few times but you may have a much larger inverter.

One caution to all. Just after your battery house bank output will be a fuse, its usually a Class T fuse, at least 250A. These fuses protect the battery connection to the inverter and any low voltage busbar. They are absolute gold dust and at present, every supplier I have tried is out of stock until September. If it goes you may have an issue with no low voltage DC.

For obvious reasons I must say this is my personal view and opinion and nothing in the above should be taken as advice. Please consult a professional.

Hope there is something in the above that may help.
BigMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 05:59 AM   #56

We always drive with the generator running even if not using AC at least a couple hours. Generator needs exercised so we take that time to do it..
Mle75749 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, surge guard