RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2013, 05:42 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Surge protectors

I've got a couple of questions for y'all. I don't have a surge protector yet and wanted to get some opinions for what to buy. I think I'd like to get a hardwired one if it's not too difficult to wire. Here are my choices either Progressive Industries or Surge Guard, then hardwired or portable. What are your thoughts?

NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I vote for PI and hardwired. You might be interested in this thread:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/surg...tor-55354.html

DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #3

Well...I've had several. The progressive is the best. As far as hard wire. I prefer that if one were to burn or get hot, I prefer it to happen at the post, not in my camper. Just my opinion. Plus, I've had several people tell me they've had to send the in for service. The portable ones would be easiest. I've made a peace of plastic that covers mine. I don't like the idea that water runs into the electrical plug, not a good thing in my book!
Ocletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychief View Post
I've got a couple of questions for y'all. I don't have a surge protector yet and wanted to get some opinions for what to buy. I think I'd like to get a hardwired one if it's not too difficult to wire. Here are my choices either Progressive Industries or Surge Guard, then hardwired or portable. What are your thoughts?
The instructions are easy. I did the hard wire PI 50 amp last week. The hard part is working with the thick #4 wires in such a small place. Wish PI made the housing a little bigger. On the back of the top of my transfer switch box had a diagram of the wiring so you can be confident you wired it correctly. Here's a pic of the transfer box. Mine was under the close draws.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4047971566.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	517.5 KB
ID:	39331
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #5

Oh I forgot, go to home depot a get some #4 wire with correct # of wires for 50 amp or 30 amp. I got 2 feet because of the why I had to position the box.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:09 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
I hard wired a P.I. in my MADP 4528 last year. Was not that hard. Had to relocate the light a little higher on the left side and move the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) a few inches. Take pictures as you dissemble. Just feed out all your 50 amp cable, reach inside the cable drum and unscrew it, slide out the drum along the cable and you then have plenty of room to work. De-power shore, flip generator breakers and turn inverter off at front interior control panel. Test wiring for voltage before proceeding. If your ATS is iffy now is the time to replace it. Take your time and enjoy your work when done.
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #7

The PI PT50C portable can be installed in a bay using a pigtail cable. Out of the weather and out of site, and easy to remove/send in for wty work. Details on this thread.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/prog...pc-100817.html

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi harleychief,
Both companies have great products. You can't go wrong with either Brand. PI and Surge Guard do have different design points. Because of this the specs that are important to one may not apply to the other brand. Comparing the spec sheets without understanding the design is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Consider calling each company and understand how their product is designed and why they chose that design for their product. Choose what you feel the most comfortable with.

For me, I have the Surge Guard Brand. I would buy the product(s) again. I have the portable product. I've had Surge Guard since 05. I am pleased with the performance. It has activated a few times (with merit) and worked as advertised.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #9

Hello HarleyChief,

I just went thru the same set of questions on my 2013 Dutch Star. I went around and around on what to do based on the following:

From the research I did everything I found about the PI and Surge Guard was positive

PI has a few advantages that included support to those who had to deal with the company. If you type in surge protector reviews, or something similar into goggle you will find some good info.

I really liked the idea of the portable unit, but went with the hardwired one instead for the following reasons:

1 - I wanted the power reel for the cord which takes up alot of space in the bay. This did not leave much room for the portable unit in the bay.

2 - The portable unit does not come with the digital display which I preffered.

3 - Not having another item to mess with during hook up is a plus.

4 - These units are not cheap, and I felt to have the portable unit at the hook up point I would need to figure out how to secure it somehow so as someone did not steal it. Another thing to mess with at each camp ground.

In the end, I wanted it to be simple. For 6 years I had no surge protecter in my first RV and never had any problems. So I figured the likelyhood of having the hardwired one get fryed is low, meaning I shouldn't have to replace it. It would not be that big of thing to remove the unit if it ever fails.

Attached are some pictures as follows:

This PI unit mounted in my Star (under the TV cable bundle)
A portable PI unit
A portable PI unit inside a bay
The hardwired PI unit I bought with the digital read out

Ma Snart
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01093.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	39336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1444.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	39337  

Name:	Picture133.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	39338  
Attached Images

Ma Snart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
PI 50 hardwired with remote display for the following reasons,
Will not walk off.
Less hassle/time to hook up at the campsite.
Lifetime warranty.
Has override pass thru switch in remote if board fries due to a spike.
Has readouts for amps, volts, Hz, and maintains fault codes if/when needed upon return.
If removal is required I simply move the power cord ends back to the transfer sw - 5min done. Haven't had to yet after 2 yrs.
Wiring diagram is on line at PI. , clearly stated, and not hard.

What I have is a pc. of mind and protection of hi $ components.

Name:	DSCN9195.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	999.3 KB
ID:	39339
Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't have any viable way to install the hard wired 50 amp PI so I installed a portable one in the bay.

Name:	image-4127210701.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	39340

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Clifftall,

Now the Surge Protector is outside with a lock (plastic !!) sold by surgeguard.....It is my 2nd unit since 2010 - LCD display reading and nice stuff I like and works as promised
Thanks !!
And there is room in my electrical bay for this portable+ wire for 50 Amp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	50 amp SGuard.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	39359  
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #13

We found that the Surge Guard functioned very well when required in a couple of older RV parks. Will certainly install some form of protection in our next coach.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Hi,

If your rv is 50 amp there is some value in getting a PI unit. If you are 30 amp and are worried about surges a dollar store unit before items such as the fridge and converter may meet your needs.

Even with such a device it is still best to check the outlet before plugging in. It may be better to look at surge protected autoformers, before using something that cripples the use of the electrical system by cutting off the power at what may be too low a voltage to prevent damage to electric motors. My comfort level is 109 volts or above.

kill-a-watt

watt meter

Outlet tester.

outlet tester