Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Surprise

Owning an older coach has its issues, but i keep finding surprises from the previous owners. Today I found a poor repair under the sewer vent. If you see 2" of DICOR on a patch watch out.
What surprises have found on your rig?
webbman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
^^ Theres not enough bandwidth on this server.

I can't think of any bungled repairs, mine are more toward the lack of any repair...

In a way, this is probably better and easier to find/fix problems.

Toilet replacement.

The PO had problems with the toilet so they installed a new one right before they sold it. Only problem was, they installed a full height toilet on a pedestal.. This was really neat for doing #1 while standing, but you needed a step ladder to climb up on the toilet if you did your business sitting down.

By the way, I have a almost brand new full height toilet for sale, cheep.

To tall toilet to tall for the tush – 1999 Southwind 35S

One item on my Southwind, a PO had drilled a hole in the floor behind the passenger seat and run two battery cables with big jumper cable style alligator clips on the end. The other end was wired to the coach batteries under the step.

Maybe they were charging another battery inside.. don't know...

I removed the cables and plugged the hole.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #3

webbman57, it would be nice to know what your working on " Newmar " does cover a lot of ground.

2 POs. some nice surprises .
Front tire size was changed due to a Newmar recall . PO had the rears changed to match.
Fridge cooling unit changed. About 18 months before I purchased the coach.
ALL the original paperwork for every system and appliance was still in the coach .
TV's both ungraded to flat screens.
The not so nice.
BOMB ( Box Of Many Buttons ) replaced and the antenna power booster switch by-passed and moved to the new BOMB and NONE of the cables marked.
Fuel filters relocated to a very easy place to access, under the battery tray; BUT; mounted so low that the bottom of the filters get gravel rash from the dual wheels.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
2002 dutch star 3872
Old 07-14-2017, 07:05 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbman57 View Post
2002 dutch star 3872
We had a 2002 DS - - our first RV........we knew "NOTHING" about motor coaches/motor homes/RVs. The blind , leading the blind!

Was 12 years old when we got it - 12K on the speedo.

Looked good - we thought we got an old, unused motor coach.

We it was unused but as things age - they need repairing - updating - and yes - there were many surprises!!

We finally gave in and bought a new one - for us - it was cheaper in the long run!!! LOL

BTW - - I have a brand new set of Magna Shades (windshield, side windows and door) for a 2002 DSDP I'd would let go for a couple hundred bucks + shipping. Never used........it is for an automatic drivers window tho but I'd imagine could be made to fit a non-auto window. It will help the AC units on the hot days of summer........

PM me if interested.

And - good luck - - that model is a beautiful coach...

g
Old 07-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, the floor plan is what sold us. Very rare bath area. She only has 20kmiles, so we jumped on it.
Learning things everyday while plan foe going full-time in a year.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbman57 View Post
2002 dutch star 3872
Thanks for including that , webbman57, you could consider setting up a signature line so you don't have to type it in every time.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
We it was unused but as things age - they need repairing - updating - and yes - there were many surprises!!

We finally gave in and bought a new one - for us - it was cheaper in the long run!!! LOL
I don't want to start some kind of new vs used debate...really I don't...but this is why we decided on new. We could have saved a few bucks on a gently used coach and I'm pretty handy. But I don't want to spend my time fixing other people's problems. It's a crap shoot buying used. It's a crap shoot buying new too but I think I like the odds better.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote