RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
surround sound

I've upgraded the front tv in our 05 DSDP with the factory installed SONY surround sound to a SAMSUNG 32" flat screen.
I am not sure how to connect the tv to the receiver to get the system working correctly.
Any ideas?

CHUCK05DSDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #2

You should have found some RCA plugs in the bay where the old TV was. Plug them into the proper colored connection on the new TV and it should work, might have to set up the new TV for audio out in the menu guide??
YMMV

Old 01-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #3

Surround sound

When I changed over to a front LCD TV I had the same problem. Another member suggested to plug in the RCA cables as noted and then set the in-dash radio to Aux 1, I believe. I think it was Max Hubrich that came up with the suggestion.

Anyway if you cycle through the selections on the radio you will find it. Mine works great using that technique.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #4

I also have a 2005 DSDP and I changed my front TV out a couple of years ago. You have a Sony Home Theater System factory installed by Newmar and it has an optical audio in port. If your TV has optical audio out you simply run an optical cable between the two. If your TV has coaxial audio out or some other aduio out you need to buy an adapter to go between the two.

Then you turn on your TV and turn its sound down. Turn on the Sony and select LPT 1 (I believe) and the TV will play through the Surround Sound System. It is awesome to watch TV and listen to sound through the 5.1 surround sound system and subwoofer. Most of the networks transmit in 3.1 or 5.1 sound and most of the satellite TV transmits in 3.1 sound.

Forget trying to send sound through the radio speakers - your 2005 DSDP has a built-in sound system that is far superior.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are TWO ways surround sound gets from the TV to the Amplifier/decoder, and 3 ways sound gets from one to the other total

Mehod one is standard Stereo, not surround, and that's two cables, RCA jacks, normally Red and White color codes (Red is Right, white left) This is NOT surround sound though

You may have a 3rd RCA jack labeled "Digital" or "SP/DIF" or "Dolby" or anything but Left,Right or Video.. This is a digital audio link and carries surround sound

More common is a small black "knob" usually square, you pull it out and behind it is a red light (LED) and a "D" shaped hole with a round hole behidn it.

This is a Toss-Link connector.. there will be another just like it on the back of the Audio Processor/amplifier/receiver. ANd that's how it's done.. Any good audio store will ahve the fiber-optic cable to match.. Even Wall-Mart I suspect