Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #1

Surround Sound help

I replaced the original 16 year old dash stereo in my '99 DS with a newer unit with remote control. 2 reasons for doing this: 1) LED display on old unit was basically non-existent. 2) I wanted a remote to control the TV surround sound that was available by using the aux output on the stereo.

The only problem is the new stereo didn't have the same connection for the aux as the original. I thought it was an s-video cable, but it isn't. The new stereo works, but I lost the surround sound for the TV. I kept the old stereo and manual after removing it...in case I needed it for some reason. I even put it in a place I wouldn't lose it....only I can't remember where that is.

Anyway, does anyone know what the connection/cable type is called for the cable in the picture below? And does anyone know if a dash stereo unit can be purchased with this type of connection. I've done dozens of web searches, but can't seem to find anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cable.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	112386  
Roscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #2

Surround sound

Do you have a aux plug on the front of the radio? I went to auto stereo shop bought a cord that plugged into the front of the radio that had the RCA connectors on the other end. Also need two barrel plugs to be able to plug the RCA cables together
tom9615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom9615 View Post
Do you have a aux plug on the front of the radio? I went to auto stereo shop bought a cord that plugged into the front of the radio that had the RCA connectors on the other end. Also need two barrel plugs to be able to plug the RCA cables together
Yes Tom, I do have an aux plug on the radio. But I need an adapter or something that fits the cable end in the picture above. That is the cable, I assume, that goes to the TV. I suppose I could use RCA cables, but I really don't want to have to run anything all the way up to the TV (above the dash).
Old 11-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #4

Surround sound

Go to an auto stereo shop and show them the picture, I'm sure the have a cable that will plug into your radio with the fitting you need on the other end. Let me know how it goes
tom9615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:59 PM   #5

I think I'll do that. I live out in the boonies, so I'll have to wait until I go into the 'big city' to find a stereo shop.