Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Swap Rocker Recliners for Couch

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who swapped their rocker recliners for a hide a bed couch. How difficult is it and at what cost? I assume I need to head to Elkhart and deal with the local vendors there?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
Dom

We are looking to going the other way. Want to get rid of hide a bed a try to find recliners that turn in to a flat bed, kinda like a davenport. Trouble with a hide a bed is that it takes up so much space when opened. In our cas we have to climb around end of it to get outside.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #3

We took out 2 built in recliners (that were small & uncomfortable), the dinette booth and tablel and the 'filler' pieces in between. That was 14 feet of furniture that came out. It was really pretty simple. Had to do some manuevering in tight spaces to get to some of the screws holding everything together out but it really went pretty easily.

We replaced all of that with a 94" couch from rec pro. Has power recliners with cup holder & usb charging port on each end a a 36" fixed center piece which is Maya's seat.

The rest of the space is for her specialized (and LARGE) crate and a couple of TV tables. That particular space will become a stand alone table and chairs once we don't need the crate.

But the bottom line is that is was NOT that difficult to remove original seating and install replacements
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, I understand it isn't too difficult to get them out of there. Question is the procedure for obtaining a new couch and fitment through the frt. door.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
We are looking to going the other way. Want to get rid of hide a bed a try to find recliners that turn in to a flat bed, kinda like a davenport. Trouble with a hide a bed is that it takes up so much space when opened. In our cas we have to climb around end of it to get outside.
In my current coach, I had this dinette/bed/sofa that had to have been designed by the Spanish Inquisition...I wanted to swap it for recliners that made into a bed. Long story short, I could not find anything aftermarket that would fit into my space. I ended up buying a product made for Forest River that was basically a loveseat with leg rests. It’s also a jackknife bed, but very comfortable for short folks.

I disassembled the dinette, and took it out through the door in pieces. Getting the loveseat in was another story. It fits through the door, but must weigh at least 200lbs. Myself and a stout guy managed to shoe horn it in. I built a custom cabinet to fill in the extra space, and to contain the electrical panel, furnace vent, and an electrical outlet. Flip up top on the cabinet to gain access to same, plus extra storage.
Old 09-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I swapped out a standard sofa for a jack knife in my CS. I called Tom Lindstrom (CA Newmar Dealer). He ordered it from Newmar, invoice me and shipped it to Florida Newmar dealer. I had to be in Florida for work, so couldn't get to him in CA. I arrived at the Florida dealer where they pulled out the old, put in the new and I let one of the employees take the old one home.

Tom didn't mark up the product and the receiving dealer charged me their standard hourly shop rate. Sofa is dismantled, brought through the door and reassembled in the coach.

I would say don't hesitate to call your fav Newmar dealer. They likely can make it happen for you and are a path to success/simplicity.

Good luck.
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #7

Well - we purchased our couch from Rec Pro, which makes RV specific furniture. The backs come off the couches so they are made to fit through your coach entry door. I think you'll be OK if you stick with RV specific furniture. lf you go with regular home furniture then, yes, getting them into the coach and secured is going to be more challenging = lots of measurements.
Oldmso54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recliner