RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Switching to Dish.

It looks like it's time to make the switch. I have the trav ler set up and have checked out the videos with what needs to be done on the satellite side to make the switch. I have some questions about setting up my account with dish. I still have a stick and brick that I'll be switching as well. My biggest question is can I get the install in my S&B then do as I have done with direct tv, just pull the equipment out of my S&B place in my coach when we are on the road? I don't want 2 accounts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
It looks like it's time to make the switch. I have the trav ler set up and have checked out the videos with what needs to be done on the satellite side to make the switch. I have some questions about setting up my account with dish. I still have a stick and brick that I'll be switching as well. My biggest question is can I get the install in my S&B then do as I have done with direct tv, just pull the equipment out of my S&B place in my coach when we are on the road? I don't want 2 accounts.
Yep

I choose to go the Wally in the motorhome route mainly due to my setup is too hard to remove the receiver. Plus a lot of OTA recording are done on the S&B receiver when I cannot get OTA signals while traveling sometimes.

It is all on one account. I activate/deactivate the Wally as I take trips trips. A single Wally cost me $7 a month when it is activated.

[Mod Edit]

reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Yep

I choose to go the Wally in the motorhome route mainly due to my setup is too hard to remove the receiver. Plus a lot of OTA recording are done on the S&B receiver when I cannot get OTA signals while traveling sometimes.

It is all on one account. I activate/deactivate the Wally as I take trips trips. A single Wally cost me $7 a month when it is activated.

[Mod Edit]
I've got 4 tv's at the s&b and 3 in the coach. Mine are easy to remove and place in the coach. All 3 in the coach have easy access as well.
Old 03-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #4

I have had DISH in my S&B for a decade. Just put it in the rig. I just pay the $7.00 a month for the single Wally I have powering 3 TV's. For $84.00 a year I do not even bother to turn it off with DISH but as previously stated you can turn it off and save $7.00 for that month. Not sure if you can turn it off for a partial period during a month and have it prorated. Does anyone know if that is doable? Say DISH will only charge you $3.50 if you have it on for two weeks?
Old 03-11-2020, 08:09 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post
I have had DISH in my S&B for a decade. Just put it in the rig. I just pay the $7.00 a month for the single Wally I have powering 3 TV's. For $84.00 a year I do not even bother to turn it off with DISH but as previously stated you can turn it off and save $7.00 for that month. Not sure if you can turn it off for a partial period during a month and have it prorated. Does anyone know if that is doable? Say DISH will only charge you $3.50 if you have it on for two weeks?

Itís month by month. No prorate for partial months.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:21 PM   #6

I have the Hopper 3 receiver and two wireless Joeys. I use Hopper 3 and one Joey in stick build and the other Joey in the motorhome when RV is parked adjacent to house. When on the road I take Hopper 3 and one Joey for motorhome. We seldom use outside tv so I donít take second Joey along in motorhome. Works great.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #7

No reason to switch if all is working ok. I have both east and west coast network feeds, NFL package so no reason for me to switch or to ever call these clowns. Locals, not interested.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:08 AM   #8

Dish has 2 ways of setting up an account 1. A regular account for home 2. Dish Outdoors

If you have Dish at home all you need to do is either take your receiver outside and plug it in or buy a second receiver and leave it in it.

I'm lazy so I bought a Hopper2 off of Amazon and set it up in the MH. If for some reason we are not going to use the MH for a while I get online and have it turned off. Then when we get ready to go I just turn it back on. But I usually forget to have it turned off.

I haven't spoken to anyone at Dish in years I always use the Chat feature, it works soooooo much better.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
I've got 4 tv's at the s&b and 3 in the coach. Mine are easy to remove and place in the coach. All 3 in the coach have easy access as well.
Then get a Hopper 3 and three Joeys for the S&B. Before you go RVing, just move the Hopper 3 and two of your Joeys to your RV.
Old 03-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #10

Switching to Dish

I have two Dish Wallys in my motorhome and recently came back from a two week trip. I had Dish turn on the two Walllys before I left and had Dish turn them off when I got home. Yesterday I received my monthly bill from Dish and the two Wallys were prorated for the two weeks they were turned on. Dish charged me $3.50 per Wally for the two weeks for a total of $7.00.

I had Directv for twenty years and was happy with them until they were purchased by AT&T. I switched to Dish for the house and motorhome and have been very satisfied.
skitcharoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the posts. My questions were answered. Seems like all I need to do with the dish is the same as direct once I make the conversion to the satellite.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
I see no reason not to take your home receiver on the road in the MH, but doesn't a Hopper require an internet connection, which can be problematic in RV parks?
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:41 PM   #13

I don't know if this will work for all Dish customers, but let me tell you what I did.

I have had Dish at home for over 20 years. A couple of years ago I got a new smart phone. The phone is with Verizon and they grandfathered my old Unlimited Data plan.

At that time I installed the Dish App. on my new phone. I could watch ALL Dish programming AND my recorded (on the DVR at home) programs anywhere I was (that I had a phone signal).

A couple of months ago, I looked into sending my phone video to the TV in the RV. I may have missed some options, but it appears that there is not a simple wireless way to do that.

I already had a long HDMI cable so I bought a dongle (adapter = $15 on Amazon) that plugs into my phone and into the HDMI cable to the TV. By changing the "Input Source" on the TV, I can now see whatever is on my phone.

I have used a dozen or so times for real time Dish programming and recordings and it works great.

No Sat dish or change to the Dish account nor any change to my phone plan was necessary.

Tim

Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish, switch