Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2018, 04:40 PM   #1

Synthetic refrigerant and self-sealing valve can

I'm getting ready to check the freon in the dash air on my 2015 DS and have a couple questions I haven't run into previously.

Some of the cans of refrigerent say it's ultra synthetic and also has leak sealant.
Are these can compatible with the original refrigerant that's already in the system, or should it be avoided.

Also, the can I did buy I noticed after getting home that it says "Use only self sealing valve hose or adapter". What's all this and what is the benefit of this kind of refrigerant cans? How do I know if the re-charge system I have does have a self-sealing valve hose?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #2

First of all, do you have the correct gauge set for the type of refrigerant in the system? I believe these systems are charged by weight and without any way of knowing what the charge pressures should be or the right equipment, you are just shooting in the dark. You really don't want to overcharge the system by just adding refrigerant either. More is not necessarily better.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:06 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi,
Do not use the refrigerant with leak sealant. If you have a leak it is best to leave the diagnostic and repair to a professional. The leak sealant can ruin a compressor.

Walmart has kits you can buy that have the proper refrigerant, gauges and instructions. Not as good as a professional set of gauges, but will get you in the ball park.

You have the self sealing Schrader valves, no worry there.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

My system was repaired and charged by a Freightliner shop early in the summer so while everything is working very good I am hoping to see what my Wal Mart kit will be reading so I'll have a reference on how much to add in case they didn't find the leak and the dash air begins to go downhill.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Why are you interested in charging your system? Is the system not functioning properly We have a 2015 DS and the AC failed. Freightliner determined it was a faulty line and replaced it under warranty. This might an easier , safer solution.
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #6

The self-sealing cans are also called "California Cans" .... the can requires an adapter to connect to standard hoses. The can can be disconnected without losing the remainder of what is in the can.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...FeJtwQodebEMPQ
Old 09-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg neumann View Post
Why are you interested in charging your system? Is the system not functioning properly We have a 2015 DS and the AC failed. Freightliner determined it was a faulty line and replaced it under warranty. This might an easier , safer solution.
After FL repaired the system I figured while it's working now would be the time to check what my Wal Mart gauge would read at this time. If (maybe i should say when) the system begins to cool less then I should be able to tell how much freon to add.
Not necessarily to add any at this time, just figured it was better to have a can of refrigerant attached to the gauge/hose while checking. Also, with a can attached to the hose fresh refrigerant can be cleared through the hose before connecting to the coach.
Old 09-08-2018, 06:00 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
if the system is workign and your getting 40 to 50F air from the vents, leave it alone.
never put sealing crap in the system. I just had to replace drier, tx valve and few lines because of the foamy crap
no to mention flushing of the evap and condensor.

if it is low, get a good set of gauges and follow the instructions for pressures and outside air temps
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, valve