Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Question Tail Lights non functioning

We have a 2003 Newmar Mountain Aire workhorse Custom Chassi gas motor home; Model # MACA3560; Our tail lights are not working. The brake lights and signals work. We have installed new fuses; replaced the headlight switch but still same problem. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix our problem?
Leon1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had both back-up lights go out at the same time - bizar, but it was the bulbs (both of them).
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #3

Are your front parking lights working? tail lights at the trailer plug? dash lights
Old 12-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Leon1946,
Welcome to iRV2. Get a meter and trace, from the source 12 VDC through the circuit, wires, connections, fuses, until you find where the power is being lost. Try tracing it back wards. Start at the bulb sockets and work your way through the circuit until you find power.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2003 Newmar Mountain Aire workhorse custom chassis gas motor home. Model # MACA3560;
Our tail lights & clearance lights are not working. The brake lights and signals work, we have installed new fuses & replaced the head light switch. Still the same problem.
Could there be fuses in more than one place, or a relay that is shot? Where would they be located or am I getting the right fuses?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Are your front parking lights working? NO tail lights at the trailer plug? NO dash lights Yes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Leon welcome to the forum & irv2.
You have to do the same as I did for my 03 coach before my MV inspection this year.
Remove your rear back up lens and the light holding bracket inside of it and use fine emery paper and clean all the corrosive off the metal bracket that holds your lamps.
Use a marker to identify where wire goes and what lamp goes in which lamp holder and position of lamp bracket.
Once you have them clean use some di-electric grease on bracket and the same bulb or a new one.
The 7 pin plug needs to be opened and check for loose wiring, its stranded and the strands will flatten and wire will slip out of screw connection holder, my possibly blow fuse if it hits ground location.
Your clearance lights can have same corrosion problems as tail lights and need to be cleaned.
An 03 coach as ours needs this maintenance every couple of years.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon1946 View Post
Are your front parking lights working? NO tail lights at the trailer plug? NO dash lights Yes
Just so you know most all headlight switchs are really 2 or 3 seperate switchs with one rod to pull or twist.
The headlight curcitc is seperate and has a circuit breaker built in to the switch (no fuse for them)
The front park ligts, usally dash lights, and tail light are on another circuit.
This one usually has a fuse sometimes with a relay .
Dash dimmer is whole nother circuit if not a whole seperate switch.
(Seperate on most imports or Import designs)
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #9

Like Mekanic said, head lights and marker lights are on seperate circuits, are you the one who changed the head light switch? if so go back to it with a test light, I recomend a test light instead of a volt meter for this because a volt meter is to sensitive, it can read voltage that cant carry a light bulb, so go back to the switch turn on the parking lights and check the brown wire for voltage, GM has used the brown wire for parking lights for forever, that would be the output of the parking light switch, if nothing , you should have 2 red feed wires, check those for power, cant tell you were fuse box or are pulgs are, but this will tell you to look upstream or down stream
Old 12-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Leon welcome to the forum & irv2.
You have to do the same as I did for my 03 coach before my MV inspection this year.
Remove your rear back up lens and the light holding bracket inside of it and use fine emery paper and clean all the corrosive off the metal bracket that holds your lamps.
Use a marker to identify where wire goes and what lamp goes in which lamp holder and position of lamp bracket.
Once you have them clean use some di-electric grease on bracket and the same bulb or a new one.
The 7 pin plug needs to be opened and check for loose wiring, its stranded and the strands will flatten and wire will slip out of screw connection holder, my possibly blow fuse if it hits ground location.
Your clearance lights can have same corrosion problems as tail lights and need to be cleaned.
An 03 coach as ours needs this maintenance every couple of years.
Enjoy the forums and do post often.
EVERY problem I have had on my coach since I have owned it has been due to corrosion, and that includes the tail lights.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights