Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2020, 08:47 PM   #1

Take the time to check things even when you are running late.

I took a trip to newmars new repair facility 2 weeks ago( which i will write about my experience and why i went in another post).

But i thought i share quickly a little reminder, that even when you are behind and running off schedule, dont take things for granted.

For my trip, i planned to leave home the saturday before my appointment at about 11 ish, and try to make it to ohio turnpike before dark ( for $20 bucks they have rv designated sites with power, cant beat it) I prefer not to drive in the dark if i dont have to. Being it is my first motorhome , in winter , it took a little time to get prepared. I fell behind schedule 2+ hours. I was about ready to drive off , and i thought “i really should check tire pressure, but i am running late, its probably ok, its a new rv, i havent really used it, it should be fine” i told myself. Well , i decided to take the few minutes to check them, rather than get bigger problems later. 5 of the 6 tires were at 80lbs pressure( sticker on cabin wall driver seat recommends 100lbs). Last tire i checked, was 40lbs. I dont know what would have happened for that last tire i checked, but i venture it would not have been good. I am thankfull i took the xtra time then, rather than face possible trouble on the road.
Jukenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #2

Glad you checked! And hope your trip report has a happy ending.

This is why I consider my TireMinder TPMS essential kit. A continuous readout of all coach and toad tire pressures is invaluable. Happy travels!
Old 03-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #3

Good advise and a good reminder for all.

As much as I am tempted to speed things up when getting ready to move the camper, I always slow myself down and take the time to do it right. Sometimes that completely frustrates my wife, but far too many things can go wrong when on the road. If a moment of checking this or checking that can eliminate a future problem, the small amount of time to check is well worth it.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:50 AM   #4

My Daddy used to say "whenever you get in a hurry, sometimes for every step forward, you take two backwards", meaning it's better to slow down and do things correctly.

Reminds me of a camper trying to get a early start one morning when it was still dark thirty. As he left the campsite he pulled the service post right out of the ground along with sparking electric wires, water pipe and the TV cable. Yep, he forgot to make one last trip around the RV and failed to disconnect the electric shore power cable.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I saw a rig try to leave the campground before sunrise this morning. He missed the turn to go out (easy to do in the dark) and proceeded up a dead end... he was barely able to turn around without unhooking his toad. Nice to know your route and have daylight too!
TravlinMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
I was taught something about RVing by my dad over 50 years old. He didn't just have a check list, he had a procedure list. He said by following a set procedure you'll never forget anything. My father-in-law was a U.S. Army Air corps veteran (before it became the Air force) and he was conditioned the same way so my wife understands. I have shared this with probably thousands of RVers as a fool proof way of departures.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:32 PM   #7

"The hurrier I go... the behinder I get"!

Thanks, Dad. That keeps me in tune on most important items!
Old 03-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukenut View Post
Well , i decided to take the few minutes to check them, rather than get bigger problems later. 5 of the 6 tires were at 80lbs pressure( sticker on cabin wall driver seat recommends 100lbs). Last tire i checked, was 40lbs. I dont know what would have happened for that last tire i checked, but i venture it would not have been good. I am thankfull i took the xtra time then, rather than face possible trouble on the road.
That's one of the reasons I love my TPMS. i can check all the tires from the driver seat.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spent 20 years operating “Pointy Flying Machines”! More Aircrew died or were injured because of failure to follow Checklists... I have 5 for our Essex and they are followed faithfully, I don’t care how far behind schedule I am! One last addition, “Last Chance Walk Around”!! When ready to drop her into gear I get out of the seat, exit the coach and do a walk around looking and checking everything, doors, Toad, connections, disconnects, EVERYTHING!! I can’t tell you how much embarrassment it’s saved me!
Old 03-29-2020, 06:03 AM   #10

I ALWAYS do at least 2 walk arounds of the coach before leaving. Look high and low, and also my planned path out for any possible problems.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
I ALWAYS do at least 2 walk arounds of the coach before leaving. Look high and low, and also my planned path out for any possible problems.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!
Old 03-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Very good advise Jukenut, this thread has some good advise and pictures of what might happen with a low tire.
Another good advise sticky with fixes can be found here plus all links below in my signature.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:56 AM   #13

A couple poster have already mentioned it was a good idea to use a TPMS, and I totally agree. Actually I would not be without my TST system.

Just to add a reminder about TPMS's though. When I sit for a month or longer I will remove my tire sensors to preserve the batteries. Prior to hitting the road I replace them and test everything. It is a good idea to do this a few days prior to departure.

Last year I re-installed my sensors just a couple days before heading out and discovered a really low trailer tire. After some closer examination I found it had a slow leak. I barely had enough time to get it off and have it repaired.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:07 AM   #14

Every time we get ready to move, I fire up the TST TPMS system about 30 mins before. That way I know the pressures be fore a tire moves. Well worth the investment money.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote