Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #1

Taking the plunge-

We have decided to switch from our beloved Grand Junction 5er to a MH.
We located a 2004 Newmar Kountry Star DP that has everything we desire, even a very reasonable price. The owner has emailed many pictures at our request, and satisfied every question asked.
We are planning to drive to NM to inspect this MH within the next 2 weeks.
My question to the members here is: What should we be particularly alert for in the way of hidden damages,undue wear, or drivetrain issues?

We can't afford a new Newmar, but buying a used one is (IMO) better than buying a new lesser quality brand.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tires, service records, check every system. Walk the roof. Look in the corners and under the cabinets. Look at the prime mover and the transmission. No leaks. Fill the tanks and check for leaks. Take a good test drive. Listen carefully and you will hear abnormal noises if they exist. Ours is very quiet and smooth on the Highway. Check the Air ride, dump the air and operate the levelers when parked. I have a 2003, bought it used and I am very happy with it. Good luck and Welcome to the Newmar club..
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum as new member.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide so you will have some idea of whats on it.
I would check the Norcold.
Good luck.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Hope it meet your every expectation. I did the same and flew from Oregon to Mesa, AZ and drove it back home without a hitch. Got an 04 Newmar Mountainaire. Only a couple of little things and Iv'e resolved them all so far. Just a little tlc was all that was needed. Love the coach and Newmar is definetly an upper end coach when you start looking around at others. If they have been cared for there is a lot of life in a coach of that year.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #5

Thank you for the tips, and especially for the brochure and owners manual Roger. This is a M# KSDP3905 according to the pictures the seller emailed and comparing them to the brochure floor plans. The seller emailed me about 50 pictures of the interior and exterior of the MH, and declares he has a clear title. I hope he doesn't sell it before we can seal the deal.. Circumstances prevent us from proceeding for about a week.

BTW, he is asking $36,200 cash thru Amazon simple pay, is that a safe transaction?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 10-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
BTW, he is asking $36,200 cash thru Amazon simple pay, is that a safe transaction?
From Amazon:
Quote:
Amazon Simple Pay is an Amazon Payments service you can use to monetize, improve conversion and attract valuable customers to your gaming application or website. It helps you enable one-time payments, subscriptions, marketplace payments or a combination of these for your games. Customers easily make payments using the payment information stored in their Amazon.com accounts. Amazon Simple Pay provides copy and paste HTML code (and buttons) for quick and easy integration.
And

Quote:
Amazon Simple Pay Help
Amazon Simple Pay is a payment-only service that allows your customers to use payment information from their Amazon.com account to pay for digital goods, services, donations, subscriptions and marketplace transactions. Your customers use payment methods stored in their Amazon.com accounts to complete payments on your website.
Here's the link to the Amazon Simple Pay site

It doesn't look like it will work for a transaction like this unless he sets it up as a "donation" and I'm not sure you have any protection using it. Unless he has it listed on Amazon he can't use it from what I read. Donations can only be accepted by a bonafied 501(c)(3) and the "insurance" is only for $2,500!

Quote:
Under the Amazon A-to-z Guarantee, buyers who use Amazon Payments for qualified purchases of physical goods are eligible to receive up to $2,500 of the purchase price, including shipping charges. For other items and services, you may submit a claim seeking our assistance to resolve your dispute with the seller, but you will not be eligible to receive a refund of any part of the purchase price.
Is it listed on Amazon? I looked and don't see it there. If it's not listed through Amazon I don't think the Amazon Payments will work but I don't know for sure as I've only bought a few things through them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #7

Thanks MrD. I had sent seller an email questioning the Amazon thing. I had told him we would only purchase the MH after we drove to Santa Fe and inspected it ourselves, to which he replied "it's a deal".
If we drive to Santa Fe why go through Amazon at all? Just write a hard-copy check or go to a bank and buy a cashier's check, he sign's over title and we hit the road home. Doesn't $36,200 for an 04 Kountry Star sound too-good-to-be-true?
Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think its a good deal for a DP.
We are on the ropes with a decision because of health of partner and the age thing, that my 03 would go for less, just to part ways.
Its tough we have RV'ed for 36 years been to many great places up and down the east coast from P.E.I. to FL many times plus trip out west through Canada than back through the northern US.
Met many good friends at IRV2 Rallies & Good Sam, its tough supporting a 30,000 dollar coach for maybe 6 weekend trips.
We may stick it out for another year we will see.
Hope it a go for you Ray and we can add you to the Newmar family, make the most of it and enjoy.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Suggest you run all systems/devices with shore power, generator, & batteries (at least those that the batteries support).

To me, its more important to operate and verify the integrity of the electrical & plumbing systems. The drive train is usually the least troublesome in the Newmar and DP lines of motorhomes.

Dave
Old 10-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Here is what NADA shows. Price you are stating is 1/2 of NADA. It may be your deal of the century, we found our EXDP in a similar manor, check everything out and make sure seller has clear title. If seller is real, ask for the vin number and check it out. Good luck and hope it works out for you.

2004 Kountry Star M-3905-FRTLN 330(*) Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #11

Well___; apparently this was a scam. Ever since the seller replied "it's a deal" to my proposal he has been unresponsive to my emails. Sorry to impose guys. I really appreciate your advice and help. We have looked at a 1999 Safari Panther, and have mixed reactions. I posted details in the general MH forum.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #12

wow close call

Glad the fish is still swimming lol close one Ray but many a man learns the hard way.I almost bought a car years ago from a car lot that was dishonest went on a test drive and the tranny was bad said they would fix it so I waited a week and the call came fixed ready to be picked up.Off the wife and I went to get the car great reception park here and come sign the papper work.Ok after I test the car again that was the move that saved the day.About a 5 mile trip and bang red oil every where car stopped a man behind Me stopped and asked if We needed a ride sure do I said and picked up My to be traded in old car told the lot guy his broke down he said where I said not real sure go look for the junk and drove away lol that was sure lucky for Us that night Bushman The next MH may be the right one Ray Good Luck John