Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2022, 09:17 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Taking the Plunge!!

Hello Newmar Owners!

After saving for decades, I'm finally moving up from a 17 year old Winnebago gasser to a 2015 Dutch Star 3736. As you can imagine, I'm beyond excited.

I've been watching this forum for quite a while (one reason I decided to go with the Dutch Star). I know I'll have many questions, and I'll try to contain myself

Some immediate ones that I haven't quite found the answers to:

1 - My indoor storage unit has 20A service. I've been able to (with the help of a Hughes Autoformer) to run my 14K BTU AC on that. With all the new-fangled energy management that I will have in the newer Dutch Star, my question is: "Will I be able to run a single AC on the DSDP as well?"

2 - I've read Dutch Star Don's excellent write-up on the Oasis system. I see that I can run a single 120V element. Will that run on 20A? If so, does that mean I don't have to winterize?

3 - Would you Newmar owners suggest I join FCMA?

4 - Where do I get that cool Newmar icon in my Signature Block?

Thanks for all your patiences ahead of time!
-Dr. Phil
thebigphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2022, 09:43 AM   #2

Not much help with your questions but just wanted to say Congrats! Still saving here. lol
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:07 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Congrats on your new to you upgrade....we love our Newmar and was lucky enough to find our diamond in the rough
chefred112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my icon or profile I clicked on edit avatar to get the Newmar icon....
chefred112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #5

Phil, welcome.

Q: Will I be able to run a single AC on the DSDP as well?"

A: Yes, most likely, but nothing else. I have done it at home for a short period of time. My ACs run at about 13 - 15 amps after the start. If you want to run something more you might want to look into the SoftstartRV product literature. These units limit the initial large amp draw at startup, which would be the biggest issue with AC on a 20 amp circuit.

Q: I've read Dutch Star Don's excellent write-up on the Oasis system. I see that I can run a single 120V element. Will that run on 20A? If so, does that mean I don't have to winterize?

A: Is this intended to mean you want to keep the entire coach heated? If so, it may be possible depending on how cold it gets where you store it. Personally, I wouldn't recommend trusting an unattended system. What if there is a power outage from a winter storm? If you've been reading here you already know that Oasis pumps fail. If one of your zone pumps or the heat element fails, that means no heat to that area of the RV and frozen pipes. It's certainly a risky thing, IMO.

Good luck with your new Dutch Star.

PS: Check those slide motor bolts and your side radiator gear box oil level, breather tube, and fan mountings first thing! Many of the persistent issues discussed frequently on this forum were also things I found on my used MA during my pre-purchase inspection. By knowing these things in advance I could look for the issue and determine if the issue's progression was or was not yet a serious condition.
Old 08-21-2022, 02:55 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Good answers from NCC-1701A. When using the Oasis unit (AC1), it will work for warming the shower water in medium to warm weather. To heat the coach in the winter, it would run all the time and never catch up. The single heating element isn't large enough for heating the coach in cold water. I'm afraid the only safe thing to do is winterize.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all!

Don - Ohio gets quite cold in the winter, so I will take your advice and winterize. Another learning experience, since my old rig didn't have a dishwasher, washing machine, or ice maker.

NCC-1701A - I'll start looking into those items you mentioned (slide motor bolts, side radiator gear box oil level, breather tube, fan mountings). I'm more of an electrical guy than a mechanical guy, but I'm willing to learn.
2017 Subaru Forester (6M)
thebigphil is offline   Reply With Quote