Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 06:36 PM   #1

Tank rinse in utility compartment-4018

While doing a black tank flush clean out today I noticed (had seen it before but never thought much about it) a sign saying "Tank Rinse" with a small black lever above it saying Open/Close. What is this for and when is it supposed to be used? Nothing happened when I open/closed the lever after getting through with the black tank flush and nothing happened. Is it for the gray tank?

Couldn't find anything in the Newmar Owners manual about this, but of course that's nothing new, and what I did find about dumping/cleaning tanks certainly didn't sound like it pertained to current model DSs.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #2

You say Newmar manual but your profile says Winni, nothing in your signature. What make/Model do you have?
Old 07-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

I believe it's the low point drain for winterizing.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sounds like John has correct answer.
Who instructed you on your PDI and did you follow up on all the questions you seem to have with your dealer during the PDI and with dealer after PDI?
Do you know how you will have to winterize your coach, if you are up north in the winter, you will need to know where all your low point drains are to start winterizing.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:33 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
While doing a black tank flush clean out today I noticed (had seen it before but never thought much about it) a sign saying "Tank Rinse" with a small black lever above it saying Open/Close. What is this for and when is it supposed to be used? Nothing happened when I open/closed the lever after getting through with the black tank flush and nothing happened. Is it for the gray tank?

Couldn't find anything in the Newmar Owners manual about this, but of course that's nothing new, and what I did find about dumping/cleaning tanks certainly didn't sound like it pertained to current model DSs.
DS 4018 correct?? Connect a hose to the inlet near the black lever that is for flushing your black tank. Open your black tank drain, turn on the water then turn the lever to flush out your black tank. Reverse the process when done.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #6

The wife and I followed the tech through all the hours of PDI taking notes and recording what conversations we could. There was so much technical information to absorb, kind of like going from a model T to a new Cadillac, that we were a little overwhelmed to say the least at times. I'm sure he mentioned all the low drains but most of our time after that was spent getting things repaired that we found, and trying to get the two new Directv receivers to work as we were promised when we ordered them. And even now our TVs aren't working as they should on satellite.
Living in northern Oklahoma I figure I have a few months yet before winterization will be necessary to learn where all the drains are. Hopefully I won't have too much trouble since I have winterized RVs since 1987, and the last 11 years an RV with an ice maker and washing machine which adds a whole different approach.
Only had this coach a little over a month now and haven't gotten all the information changed from Winnebago to Newmar.
Still wondering if this Tank Rinse is more than just a low point drain and what tank it is draining or rinsing. I'll open it tomorrow and see what happens.
Appreciate all the information.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #7

VP Chianese hit it on the head. Its the rinse system for the black tank. Connect a second water hose to the inlet, turn on the hose, and then turn the little lever. Make sure you have your black tank dump open. Let it run until clear, shut off the valve and the water, and close your black tank dump valve.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:46 AM   #8

The label is a bit confusing for what its true purpose is -- It's not for actually rinsing the black tank, it's for relieving the pressure on the garden hose after you finish rinsing the black tank.

The lever should be in the closed position while actually rinsing the black tank. Otherwise, the water from the connected garden hose will run out the drain tube, rather than powering the spray heads inside the black tank.

When you finish rinsing the black tank and turn the water off to the connecting garden hose, turn the black tank lever to the open position, and it will relieve the pressure in the garden hose connected to the black tank rinse coupling so you don't get backspray when disconnecting the garden hose.
jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
VP Chianese hit it on the head. Its the rinse system for the black tank. Connect a second water hose to the inlet, turn on the hose, and then turn the little lever. Make sure you have your black tank dump open. Let it run until clear, shut off the valve and the water, and close your black tank dump valve.

A little trick I utilize when rinsing my black tank:

As britcon and VP Chianese illustrated, run your black tank rinse spray heads with the black tank dump valve (t-handle) in the open position. This allows your tank to dump, while at the same time rinsing the tank with water supplied by the garden hose. Remember, your "tank rinse" lever is in the closed position so the water goes to the spray heads, and is not dumped to the ground via the drain.

After the tank is dumped and water is running clear, as britcon states, I close the black tank t-handle, allowing the spay heads to continue to rinse while also beginning to fill the black tank with clean water. I will let it run for a few minutes, then re-open the t-handle, thus allowing for a secondary power dump with the clean water. You will be surprised how much additional waste will be flushed from the black tank.

After you finish, follow the procedures I outlined in my previous post. By placing the tank rinse lever in the open position before disconnecting the garden hose, you will not find it necessary to change your tee shirt.

PS: After disconnecting your garden hose, remember to close the tank rinse lever.
jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:32 PM   #10

Thanks Jigs, that sounds about like the procedure I was using on my previous coach except there was no way to keep from getting a little shower when disconnecting the water hose. Appreciate that information as that is now one more item on the new coach I understand. I know that wasn't covered in the PDI and I didn't realize it was a seperate operation.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
You say Newmar manual but your profile says Winni, nothing in your signature. What make/Model do you have?
How do i make the necessary changes to my profile since I've traded coaches?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:45 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
How do i make the necessary changes to my profile since I've traded coaches?
Click on User CP in the upper left of the screen, then Edit Your Details.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #13

Hey gang, quick question. How often do you do a tank rinse? I use the gray water rinsing method, and was just wondering do I need to do a rinse after every dump?
Furrytrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Fairwinds,
Once a year should be fine for the black tank rinse, based on the information in your post.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank