Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #1

Televator

Will have 2 of our young grandsons (2 & 6) with us in the 2015 Ventana 4002 for a week on a trip from OH to TN and back. Understand the only place to put their car seats is going to be on the couch facing sideways. Does anyone leave the TV televator up while driving so the boys can be entertained? Searched my manuals and saw nothing on it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personally I wouldn't as the mechanism could easily fail due to the common road conditions.

As a side note bly placing the children's car seats on the couch where they will be setting sideways you will be placing them in danger if for any reason you had an accident or had to stop very quickly. In addition you will be breaking the law in every state you will be traveling in or through which would only be realized if you were pulled over by a trooper.

If it were me I would be considering alternative travel than putting my grandchildren in harm's way.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 06-19-2019, 07:45 AM   #3

To answer your question

We have done just as you have suggested numerous times on long trips with no ill effects whatsoever.
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:23 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have done this plenty with no problems at all. 35k miles and 6 years. Televator never had issue.

We did put it away onna stretch of i10 in Louisiana, but we also put away a lot of other stuff that we normally keep out too...that road is bad.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #5

The better way is to use your laptop or iPad to stream movies, tv, videos. Car seats should be facing forward on the couch. Just like a regular seat. That’s the safe way.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I’m curious, if couches face side to side not back to front , how can you face the car seats forward? I understand that this is the safest, just want to learn how your doing it.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The only approved way to install car seats is with the child facing the opposite side, not the windshield.

There is no law that says a child cannot be in a lengthwise seat. Otherwise the same law would say that an adult cannot be in that seat and the seatbelts would be rendered useless.

Further most booths are not approved for in transit use and lack seatbelts.

How many have seen a city bus with seats facing the sides?

How many have seen or heard of a ticket given to any passenger in an rv that was not in the driver or passenger seat?

Safety says be belted. Common sense says the same.

I doubt a leo would waste time checking seat belts in an rv unless they are wanting to search for other reasons.

Much higher risk with running front TV than any other activity underway in an rv. JMHO.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulTNaples View Post
The better way is to use your laptop or iPad to stream movies, tv, videos. Car seats should be facing forward on the couch. Just like a regular seat. That’s the safe way.

In a 4002, there are two opposing couches. There is absolutely no way to place a car seat facing forward. And both couches have seat belt assemblies from the factory. And there is no way to put them in the dinette booth - labels clearly state that no passengers allowed in those while in motion & no seat belts.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
The only approved way to install car seats is with the child facing the opposite side, not the windshield.

There is no law that says a child cannot be in a lengthwise seat. Otherwise the same law would say that an adult cannot be in that seat and the seatbelts would be rendered useless.

Further most booths are not approved for in transit use and lack seatbelts.

How many have seen a city bus with seats facing the sides?

How many have seen or heard of a ticket given to any passenger in an rv that was not in the driver or passenger seat?

Safety says be belted. Common sense says the same.

I doubt a leo would waste time checking seat belts in an rv unless they are wanting to search for other reasons.

Much higher risk with running front TV than any other activity underway in an rv. JMHO.

The TV in front will not operate while the ignition is on - electronic interlock.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
We have done this plenty with no problems at all. 35k miles and 6 years. Televator never had issue.

We did put it away onna stretch of i10 in Louisiana, but we also put away a lot of other stuff that we normally keep out too...that road is bad.

Thanx!
Old 06-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBuckI View Post
The TV in front will not operate while the ignition is on - electronic interlock.
Oh that pesky interlock. Only takes a few seconds to *correct* that problem
Old 06-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #12

Just came through I-10 and they blacktopped most of the rough roads through Louisiana Much better still a couple of areas to go but wow what a difference.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by will stevens View Post
Just came through I-10 and they blacktopped most of the rough roads through Louisiana Much better still a couple of areas to go but wow what a difference.
Well that is good news! Maybe I will consider driving to Florida this fall.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBuckI View Post
In a 4002, there are two opposing couches. There is absolutely no way to place a car seat facing forward. And both couches have seat belt assemblies from the factory. And there is no way to put them in the dinette booth - labels clearly state that no passengers allowed in those while in motion & no seat belts.

Forward meaning the way the couch is facing, not towards the windshield. I guess I should have been more clear. My bad that it was misunderstood.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote