Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Temperature monitoring

We have been using SensorPush to monitor temperature for almost a year now. With the temperature at 15 degrees F today I got to see the heat turn on for the first time this morning in the water bay. Toasty warm inside the coach with the oil burner going.

This was talked about earlier this year. With the cold going through the country this week, thought it would be a good idea to mention it again. The SensorPush really works well for continuous monitoring of temperature and humidity. These work on Bluetooth up to 350 ft away. If you leave the area, the data is downloaded when you get within range again. We have one in the Jeep and one in the wet bay. Both can be read from inside the coach. They are $49.99 each but if you want to monitor it via the internet you can buy a gateway at around $100 that will work with multiple sensors.

Note the bump in temperature in the water bay this morning.

https://www.amazon.com/SensorPush-Wi...33369637&psc=1

We are parked in Kerrville, Texas. I thought we came south for warm weather!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	269890   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1937.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	269891  

Name:	IMG_1939.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	269893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1940.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	269894  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2019, 12:19 PM   #2

I've been looking at this and glad to see someone is using it. Do you feel they are correctly calibrated? Have you put them both in the same spot to see if the read the same?

I have a couple of cheep RF type sensors but they are off +- up to 3 degrees and the monitor loses which sensor it should be reading.
jbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Put the two monitors in a drawer. Appears to be very accurate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4180E7E9-60D9-4C24-8DB8-A1DB681CA214.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	269949  
Old 12-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbikes1 View Post
I've been looking at this and glad to see someone is using it. Do you feel they are correctly calibrated? Have you put them both in the same spot to see if the read the same?

I have a couple of cheep RF type sensors but they are off +- up to 3 degrees and the monitor loses which sensor it should be reading.
I have I think 8 spread around my RV, RV garage and house. They seem to be fairly accurate and consistent. I thought one was reading high so put it next to another, and they read the same. Turned out that it was a "hot spot" which must have been from being on the counter near the fridge.

However, if you find one is off, you can add a calibration/adjustment factor for temp or humidity.

My only real knock is there isn't the best notification in terms of making sure it wakes me up at night, since one of the things I like is to get a text message that will repeat the notification until I wake up. This doesn't have an option to send an email notice, but instead it's a phone notification, and you only get it once.

Other than that small thing, I think they are great. I replaced my Accurite sensors after they dumped their own system and were forcing customers to replace the internet bridge with a new web connect device.

I have two inside, one in my wet bay, one in my peg board and then one attached to the chassis frame behind the front grill to give me "outside" temperature.

Since I always have an active hotspot, or cable internet when it's in the garage, I can monitor remotely.

I'm a big fan, which is probably obvious.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The issue I have is they are Bluetooth only, no method for remote monitoring. That's why I have Tempstick to alarm if I loose connection an a Govee in the wet bay.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkhorses View Post
The issue I have is the are Bluetooth only, no method for remote monitoring. That's why I have Tempstick to alarm if I loose connection an a Govee in the wet bay.

Looks like they have a WiFi gateway (sold separately)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N17RWWV..._0De.DbSVYA6FK

Santa might bring me one
ChrisFSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFSB View Post
Looks like they have a WiFi gateway (sold separately)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N17RWWV..._0De.DbSVYA6FK

Santa might bring me one

100%right we have the gateway and we can monitor remotely.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks like the gateway server it reports to doesn't do a notification if it looses connection so you wouldn't know unless you were actively checking every so often.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #9
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Looks like the gateway server it reports to doesn't do a notification if it looses connection so you wouldn't know unless you were actively checking every so often.
I am using the bluetooth model. It really is impressive how well these things work and how simple they are to use.

I am considering installing the gateway in my house so we can monitor temperatures in a couple locations while we are out of town. If the power went out to my house, I would want a notification that the monitor is not sending information. I think this is similar to your concern.

I sent an email with this concern to tech support and will follow up with their answer.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
I am using the bluetooth model. It really is impressive how well these things work and how simple they are to use.

I am considering installing the gateway in my house so we can monitor temperatures in a couple locations while we are out of town. If the power went out to my house, I would want a notification that the monitor is not sending information. I think this is similar to your concern.

I sent an email with this concern to tech support and will follow up with their answer.

I am interested in the OP device but also use TEMPSTICK to monitor home temps set at 60 while gone. I have an alert to notify me if the temp drops below 50 degrees and one to let me know the furnace wont stop running (it has happened) and the temp goes above a certain number I think 70 . This works well unless the power goes out and you get no more notifications. To accommodate that scenario I have the temp stick send me an hourly notice of the current temp. If I see the hourly email does come thru, I know all is well. I set up a separate email account just for the furnace as who need more emails cluttering their mail box...easier to mass delete the notifications. Paranoid much? Yes and I sleep better every night.
jbikes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:05 PM   #11

I've had this one in my wish list for a couple of weeks. It's 2.4 GHz, and with the van in my driveway, it's well within range. Not as nifty a display, but I should be able to monitor from anywhere.

I think.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FBCTQ3L...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 12-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #12
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Here is the response from SensorPush. I have no relationship from this company. My only reason for posting is I am impressed on how well these things work.

"Thanks for writing!

Yes, there is an alert if a Gateway does not communicate with the sensorpush cloud for more than an hour. Alerts are sent using notifications, which is the same technology news companies employ to send out breaking news alerts (same with sensor alerts).

We're in the process of adding email alerts for sensors being used in conjunction with the SensorPush Gateway, and also for Gateway alerts. A lot of the infrastructure for this has been completed and we hope that it will go into general use later this year. It's pretty far along in the development process. In fact, I've been using it on my devices for a little while now."
Old 12-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
Here is the response from SensorPush. I have no relationship from this company. My only reason for posting is I am impressed on how well these things work.

"Thanks for writing!

Yes, there is an alert if a Gateway does not communicate with the sensorpush cloud for more than an hour. Alerts are sent using notifications, which is the same technology news companies employ to send out breaking news alerts (same with sensor alerts).

We're in the process of adding email alerts for sensors being used in conjunction with the SensorPush Gateway, and also for Gateway alerts. A lot of the infrastructure for this has been completed and we hope that it will go into general use later this year. It's pretty far along in the development process. In fact, I've been using it on my devices for a little while now."
Real glad to hear they are working on email alerts, because that I can send to my phone as a text message and use in conjunction with a repeating notifications app to make sure I don't sleep through an alert. My biggest gripe with sensor push's current notification is that it's one beep.

I also tried a tempstick and my two issues with it were it kept sending alerts every time it checked. Meaning if you set the frequency to check the temp every 5 minutes, then it will email/text you every five minutes if you are still below your temp threshold. Also, if you set any fairly low interval, it eats batteries like crazy.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:49 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I also tried a tempstick and my two issues with it were it kept sending alerts every time it checked. Meaning if you set the frequency to check the temp every 5 minutes, then it will email/text you every five minutes if you are still below your temp threshold. Also, if you set any fairly low interval, it eats batteries like crazy.
That's one of the things I liked about tempstick, especially if it was in the puppy pen. It wouldn't let you forget. And if I put the pen up then on the app just reset the alarm or turn it off and you can do that remotely. Govee which I also have doesn't allow the remote adjustment. I will tell you that Tempstick doesn't like being dropped in the water bowl by a puppy lol.

Tags
temperature, monitor