Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneykrantz View Post
Thank you Newmar for 3 1/2 years of trouble free camping but because of your greedy dealers I am moving to Tiffin,I told my dealer when I bought my Canyon Star that I would keep it for 5 years and then upgrade to a diesel he told me I could expect to lose about $10,000.00 per year, my coach is 3 years old with 4000 miles on it and it is in very good condition The dealer I bought mine from is out of business so we visited 3 dealers I was offered between $35,000.00 and $48,000.00 for my coach
One dealer wanted me to buy one in his inventory and would not let me order one the way we want it.Another dealer told us to come and see him he could get around $70,000.00 for my coach so we made the 3 hour trip only to find out the coach we liked listed for $247,000.00 and he wrote it up for $267,000.00 and he would give us $70,000.00 on trade.I then called 2 dealers in another state and one was very rude and said he was on the lot he would call me back he never did so I waited 3 days and called him and he said I quoted you 2 months ago it is the same price I told him I have never talked to him before and he asked for my email and I never heard from him.I called another dealer out of state and he said he would not sell me a LE only a Ventana he told me that the le did not have a fiberglass roof or hydro heat then he quoted me on a Ventana he had in stock he knocked off $10,000.00 off sticker price the one he quoted me on didn’t have a satellite or a fiberglass roof or Hydro heat I started shopping for Tiffin and got 25% off list price and they gave me $76,000.00 on trade. We picked up our new Tiffin Red 38qra yesterday

Aint that part of the game!
Good choice on the RED btw! I think they are fabulous
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #44

Hello All,
(On background, I'm planning on buying a Newmar within the next year or two, and this is my first post to this forum. The last time I drove an rv was a Dolphin when I was in my 30's, I'm now 64 with a DW who has never been on the road in a mh, she was born in China, but we seem to be in agreement on many rving thoughts, so her IQ seems to be higher than mine because she is always quick to understand what takes me too much time to figure out.)

This is one of the best set of posts I have read since I started researching at the beginning of this year and progressively oved away from a generic forum to reading the Newmar forum during the last month.

First off, nothing said has changed my mind on buying a Newmar. I have separated the dealer from the Newmar, in my mind. Seems like a very emotional process for us buyers who, like me, would just like to be treated fairly and straightforwardly, but obviously there are plenty of dealers who try to play with us.

Also, the financial information, when taken as a whole, makes a lot of sense to me. I had heard that dealers don't want to buy/trade (at their calculated "cost") a used mh for much more than 20% discount off low NADA and I assumed they might attempt to get it for 50% or more off low Nada..and that seems to be true.

Amazing, the quality of the responses compared to a more generic forum and in this set of posts on this subject, specifically.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #45

Newmar is on our very short list along with Tiffin Allegro Bus and Entegra. We have learned so much from all of you over these numerous year. The one question that comes up more than just about any are questions relating to customer service. All of us expect that there are issues with our homes on wheels. With theses three companies it is clear to me that customer service is a cornerstone of their process! It is just as clear to us that all the hard is sometimes undermined by lousy dealers. So why don't they bring their considerable power to bare and not let these below par dealers sell their wonderful products. Dealers are also part of the cornerstone of customer service! There you go.
Thank you so much to all of you!!!!!

Jeff and Lynn
Jeff426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #46

Entegra Owners Club
JMHO, the manufacturers double down on high quality customer service, because they don't have much leverage on the dealers. That is good and bad...hopefully over time they'll adapt a process similar to automobiles that bases year sales incentives on owner reported dealer delivery and customer service. I am afraid that's the only way it is going to change. Good luck to you both as you move towards your final coach decision.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2 RodgerS.
Good luck in your hunt for your dream Newmar do not forget the stickies at the top of forum's and in my signature below for the information you need.
QT's # 3 has threads on 2013-15 coach's that people have purchased with many hints on what to do.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just a thing on dealers Newmar does screen them and also support's this forum now and I am sure comments are looked at, my dealer 10 years ago sold me their last Newmar, so its an ongoing deal for dealers we have some good ones and than there are just dealers, so inquire around for ones that will treat you right.
ONE place you can monitor is this link.

There also is this thread running that names Newmar Dealers that do good PDI's as the Newmar factory does for their customers.
Here is another thread of good dealers.

And of course the Newmar link itself.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #49

According to our dealer Trans west; Newmar praises and rewards Dealerships based on outstanding customer service feedback more than sales at their annual dealer meetings. I am not sure whether he was pulling my leg or not.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodgerS View Post
Hello All,
(On background, I'm planning on buying a Newmar within the next year or two, and this is my first post to this forum. The last time I drove an rv was a Dolphin when I was in my 30's, I'm now 64 with a DW who has never been on the road in a mh, she was born in China, but we seem to be in agreement on many rving thoughts, so her IQ seems to be higher than mine because she is always quick to understand what takes me too much time to figure out.)

This is one of the best set of posts I have read since I started researching at the beginning of this year and progressively oved away from a generic forum to reading the Newmar forum during the last month.

First off, nothing said has changed my mind on buying a Newmar. I have separated the dealer from the Newmar, in my mind. Seems like a very emotional process for us buyers who, like me, would just like to be treated fairly and straightforwardly, but obviously there are plenty of dealers who try to play with us.

Also, the financial information, when taken as a whole, makes a lot of sense to me. I had heard that dealers don't want to buy/trade (at their calculated "cost") a used mh for much more than 20% discount off low NADA and I assumed they might attempt to get it for 50% or more off low Nada..and that seems to be true.

Amazing, the quality of the responses compared to a more generic forum and in this set of posts on this subject, specifically.
I agree, awesome posts, and I will be buying a Newmar next year hopefully!
Old 11-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #51
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Let's not forget, this is one guy dissatisfied with a dealer. As we all know, there are two sides to every story. My dealer is a top ten Newmar dealer and it shows.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #52

X2 what Don said, we bought from the same Dealer as Don and he backs up what he says. It was such a breath of fresh air to meet a Dealer with honesty and integrity, and we immediately felt a level of trust that I'm sure is what makes him one of the top 10 Newmar Dealers.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #53

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbaum View Post
According to our dealer Trans west; Newmar praises and rewards Dealerships based on outstanding customer service feedback more than sales at their annual dealer meetings.
This is true!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are good dealers and there are bad dealers. There are good salesman and there are bad salesman. There are places that provide good service and there are places that provide bad service--and almost every place delivers both. Very few places get it right each and every time. Very few get it wrong every time and if they do they are out of business soon. It all boils down to your knowledge and skill in negating a deal you can live with. If you go in not knowing what your trade is worth according to the zip code area you are dealing with how can you deal? What a car or truck or RV is selling for in Georgia is not the same as one is selling for in Montana, or one in June as opposed to December. You need to know what the unit you wish to purchase sells for before you go in as well. You need to do your research. As another has stated, your bank or credit union is an excellent source of information. Also, get your deal on what you want to buy done before you lay down money or say you have a trade. If you like the cash price deal you are getting then you bring up the trade, but know at that point you are going to get wholesale value for your trade-in. If you think it is too low, you have to fight , negotiate for a better price. If you don't feet the price you want, you can still buy the other coach and sell your outright but don't expect to get retail as a private owner. And don't be surprise if a dealer doesn't want your trade-in no matter how nice it is. He may not have the ability to carry another coach on his floor plan if he has too many used already--the bank may tell him he's reached his limit. With cars it is a different story he can always take it immediately to auction and get wholesale but if he has wholesale in it he isn't making any money and is losing some since he is taking time and cost to bring to auction. In the case of a motorhome the dollars in the deal are thousands more so if he guess wrong on the wholesale for your coach then takes it to auction and it is five grand less are you going to make up the difference? Don't get me wrong, I am not picking sides here just trying to explain how it works. This is how everything works--if you have a business you want to buy low and sell high. The tougher the customer the better the deal the customer gets. Dealers have a term for customers called "lay downs." These are the customers that don't know what they want, don't know what the news ones sell for or what their trade is worth , but will easily lay down for the salesman and walk out having bought a vehicle only to have remise a few days later for spending too much and not getting exactly what they needed or want. Expecting a dealer to give you a sales price for a unit in an email so you can call another dealer and say "look, dealer XYZ will sell me this unit for this price, what will you do for me?" is not realistic. I am sure most of you have bought a vehicle in the past where the salesman takes your offer into the sales manager and the paperwork comes back with a figure on it ( lower or the same) and the manager writes on the form "today only." Why? Because if you are shopping him you have to go immediately to another dealer to beat the price and the other dealer knows he has one shot of selling you the vehicle and beating the price. The other way to save money is to get your own financing, go to the credit union or a bank and get your approval--the dealer can never beat their rates, and they won't do the paperwork for nothing. Remember that everything the business manager or finance person does with you after the deal is approved by the sales manager is to pad the deal. Warranty's. fabric treatment etc--the mark up is huge. I put leather interior in my Scion by going to the place the local dealer used and dealt direct--saved over $2 grand that way. Couldn't see paying the dealer $2 grand to take my car 14 miles to the place to have it done--that is one expensive transport trip! They wanted 3-4 days to get it done too. I made the appointment, dropped the car off at 8am and walked around the mall down the street while they did the work. I was eating lunch when they called to say the car was ready.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:01 AM   #55

It's sure a great discussion and like so many have already said, Thanks!
Old 11-19-2014, 05:06 AM   #56

Mike, Charlotte, Don and Mary,

What dealer do you folks work with?

Thanks,

Jeff and Lynn

Tags
camping, newmar