Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2018, 07:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
The 15 Vantana or 14 Dutchstar? Thoughts

My wife and I are looking at a new coach to us considering a 2015 Vantana 4369 with a 400HP Cummins or a 2014 Dutchstar 4369 with the 450HP. We are looking at about 20K more for the 2014 Dutchstar with similar amenities to the 2015 Vantana.

Of the two coaches what are the pros and cons in your opinions as current Newmar owners? What should I be aware of with the Newmar line. Both coaches have the Oasis. I am very familiar with the Aqua Hot though.

Thanks for your advice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Here is a link with a TSB link in it that you can use for problems for year models, brochures, owners guides to see the difference in floor plans and the upgrades between the two.
Good luck in your hunt.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:16 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Easy. The Dutch Star. More coach in the house and chassis. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:46 PM   #4

The 15 Vantana or 14 Dutchstar? Thoughts

We have a 2015 Ventana (which we absolutely love), so I may be biased. You are certain to hear from many DSDP owners. I don’t think you could go wrong with either choice. Which coach has the better service records? Which coach interior most appeals to DW? Answers to these questions might help you choose.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:25 PM   #5

I wished I could have gone with a Ventana to save some extra money. The newer Ventanas even have many features that you used to have to upgrade to the DSDP to get. But for me it came down to the driving position and comfort of the suspended adjustable pedals verses the fixed to the floor pedals of the Ventana. My wife is petite and also appreciates the adjustable pedals. I happen to prefer the front end styling and the choice of interior finishes on the DSDP but those are merely my personal preferences.

Both are great coaches and the 4369 is a very popular floor plan.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:49 AM   #6

I don't have the brochures for the 2014 and 2015 models, but when I was comparing older Ventanas versus Kountry Stars, I noticed a deal-breaker for me. The Ventanas I looked at had exactly one foot shorter wheelbases than the same size Kountry Stars.

That means longer rear overhangs for the Ventanas.

But you should check the brochures for 2014 and 2015 to make sure the Ventanas still have shorter wheelbases.

Maybe shorter wheelbase doesn't mean anything to you. But it does to me. I don't know if it's true, but I've been told that shorter wheelbase chassis are cheaper than longer. So that's probably one of the reasons the Ventanas are a little cheaper -- they have shorter wheelbases.

And another thing. You need to check the specs, but does the Ventana have an exhaust brake, or a compression brake? An exhaust brake is better than nothing, but a two-stage or three-stage compression brake is better than an exhaust brake. I'm pretty sure the DS has compression brake (2-stage or 3-stage), while the Ventana probably has an exhaust brake.

I think that if you go through the brochures and specs. very carefully, you'll find many "little" differences like this. The DS is just plain a more expensive coach with more "goodies". Some of those goodies might not matter to you. Some might.

After reading the comparing the brochures and specs, you might ask specific questions regarding the various goodies the DS has that the Ventana doesn't -- and see what users think.

For me, I'd go for the DS.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:59 AM   #7

You might want to check out the Newmar channel on YouTube where you'll find archives of walkthroughs of both coaches you're looking at done by their respective product managers when the models were brand new for those model years. Note some improvements in the 2015 Ventana that may not have been available on the Dutchstar until 2015 and see if they matter to you.

Also, YouTube has some very good lengthy walkthroughs done by knowledgeable salespeople at various dealerships as well for those two models and model years. Watching those while relaxing in our living room worked out much better than trying to find the exact model we wanted combined with a knowledgeable salesperson on lots or private residences close to home.

Be sure to check out the Newmar brochure archives on their website where you can find the brochures with the specs and options for those models and model years.

After all of the research was done, for us it came down to feel. The Ventana interior felt right to us, and we found one very well equipped that was stored in a garage, and it passed a thorough inspection by a professional inspector with flying colors, so we jumped on it.

You mentioned the horsepower difference, but keep in mind that the torque is the same for both models you're looking at (1250 foot pounds). If you're concerned about the horsepower number, Cummins can remap the ECU to get another 80 horsepower out of the Ventana. Of course that still won't get you the advantage of the side radiator in the Dutchstar.

Happy decision making
Bill
Old 06-23-2018, 01:17 AM   #8

Woody,
Both are tag axle coaches. Both on XCR chassis.
The Ventana wheelbase is 7" shorter so not much difference.
The Ventana has a two stage compression brake rather than an exhaust brake.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:29 AM   #9

To me side radiator was a deal breaker for me.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKatMsu View Post
I agree! This was a biggie for me too. I won't say "deal breaker", but very close.

I think having easy engine access is extremely important -- as well as being cheaper in the long-run. Easy access means less labor involved. And at $100+/hr. for labor, it adds up fast.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKatMsu View Post
HMMM...having a side radiator was good or bad for you?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:28 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We just went through a similar debate as we looked to upgrade. Already having a DSDP I realize we had a prejudice towards another DSDP. In a few days we are picking up a 2015 DSDP 4369. Why did we make that choice? No single item is a deal breaker but in combination it just made us decide the DSDP was for us...even at a higher cost. Keep in mind that we are full timers and have been averaging over 10,000 miles a year. In no particular order:

1. Side radiator. Having had a few situations where having easy access to the motor reduced labor costs or even let me do the work was important.

2. Fuel tank size. I didn't like the idea of going with the smaller tank of the VTDP. I like the ability to load up fuel when I find a good price and cover longer distances. With the addition of OASIS it made it a bit more important.

3. IFS & wheel cut. I like how IFS performs in tight turns. That and the slightly bigger wheel cut was, again, something we were accustomed too. There were a few times in the last 5 years I used every bit of the cut to get out of a jam and avoid unhooking the toad.

4. Bigger Generator. The DSDP comes with 10KW while the VTDP 8KW. OK...that is really probably minor in the grand scheme of things but it still was a factor.

I would NEVER discourage anyone from opting for the VTDP. These are fine coaches and nothing to make light of. They are probably the biggest bang for the buck and quality in the 43' diesel pusher realm. They are easily up to the task of full timing with no reason to look down on them. While I think I got a good deal for my new coach I could have gotten a 2016 or maybe a 2017 VTDP 4369 for near the same price.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
HMMM...having a side radiator was good or bad for you?
Side radiator GOOD!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-23-2018, 10:12 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for your reply's everyone much appreciated. It is a big decision, lots to consider.

Sky Boss I am going to send you a PM

Thanks Steve