RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #1

The Boy Who Cried Wolf Is Actually Buying a Newmar!

My title is reflective on the fact that after eight months of asking members on IRV2 to give their thoughts on particular RVs, it probably seems like I was just kicking tires and not sincere. As in the classic Aesop Fable, claiming something to be so many times over does not make it so, and credibility will be diminished. After saying "I'm buying a Class A DP" over and over without a bird in the hand, I can now say the end game is upon me. I'm having a pre-purchase inspection performed tomorrow. The subject is a 2005 Dutch Star 4023 with a 370 h.p. ISL and 69,000 miles on the clock. It is so nice that my wife and are giddy with excitement.

New was never an option for us. But that doesn't mean we don't have expensive tastes, tempered by frugality. We've looked at various extremes as we focused on finding a coach that is on the downside of the depreciation curve (avoiding the ramped-up emissions control era was a goal too; DPF or DEF, thank you). A gorgeous Monaco Executive 42' with a 500 h.p. Detroit 60 was at one time a near-purchase. Honestly, I got scared off by the expense, complexity and beauty of that rig. I was sort of doubting my ability to pay for the purchase and have sufficient funds to treat it right. Ultimately, we decided to rethink, even considering just an upgrade of 5th wheels. But we were really itching to have the self contained coach experience. When considering some less costly pursuits, we checked out a 20 year old Winnebago gasser and a similar age Fleetwood with an ISB. I considered both as inadequately powered for our travels in the Western U.S. and Canada. In between, we viewed and studied a good number of RVs and learned a lot. There are many, many highly maintained diesel pushers out there, and some real beaters too. As I was getting tired of the hunt, a private party Dutch Star showed up in localized advertising. We have been working on a deal for nearly two weeks now, and it's all coming together. It was more money than we had decided to spend, but I think it will be worth it.

Still feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the comforts, features and things that could go wrong with this sweet machine, so we are spending quite a sum on this inspection tomorrow. It's a deep-dive by a NRVIA inspector, including detailed fluid analysis (main engine, gen. engine, both coolants + transmission).

I'm pretty sure that claims of a new coach purchase are not real until photos are posted. Fair enough, I will do so when we bring the rig home in about a week, knock on wood, barring any major findings with the inspection.

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my queries. It's been very helpful as I have contemplated this major leap! Looking forward to learning more once we are at home with our new mansion on wheels. Hopefully, we'll be sharing what we can once we have something useful to contribute.

So, really, there is a wolf afterall.
zippinbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2020, 04:41 PM   #2

Not wanting to throw a wrench into the works and hoping this is not premature .

Welcome to the Newmar family .

And YES , we love pictures.
Old 11-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #3

Congrats! (Fingers crossed)!
Old 11-23-2020, 10:40 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I had an '05 Dutch Star. Mine was a 4320. It was a great coach and was extremely reliable. I hope yours will give you the same joy as we had with ours.

Welcome to the Newmar Family.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:41 AM   #5

What is it they say? "When the student is ready the teacher will appear". Well in your case, "when the RVer is ready, the right coach will appear".

Good luck, enjoy and here's to lots of wonderful times creating untold memories in your future.

Happy Travels.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:30 AM   #6

I fully understand feeling like a "Tire Kicker". My wife and I were so ready to pull the trigger and just go for it. That was until I started asking a million questions on these forums. We have learned so much from all the experiences of the members on here. First and foremost we learned how much we really didn't know. We were going into this with 5 years experience living full time in a 5th wheel and have had absolutely no major issues. We naturally "assumed" going into a MH would be the same. We are still making the move but instead of going guns blazing and jumping in, I believe we will slow the process down some.
RV Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:38 AM   #7

Congratulations. Inspections are worth while.

That is my dream coach but will have to wait a while.

Wishing you both many happy miles.
Xmcdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippinbye View Post
My title is reflective on the fact that after eight months of asking members on IRV2 to give their thoughts on particular RVs, it probably seems like I was just kicking tires and not sincere. As in the classic Aesop Fable, claiming something to be so many times over does not make it so, and credibility will be diminished. After saying "I'm buying a Class A DP" over and over without a bird in the hand, I can now say the end game is upon me. I'm having a pre-purchase inspection performed tomorrow. The subject is a 2005 Dutch Star 4023 with a 370 h.p. ISL and 69,000 miles on the clock. It is so nice that my wife and are giddy with excitement.

New was never an option for us. But that doesn't mean we don't have expensive tastes, tempered by frugality. We've looked at various extremes as we focused on finding a coach that is on the downside of the depreciation curve (avoiding the ramped-up emissions control era was a goal too; DPF or DEF, thank you). A gorgeous Monaco Executive 42' with a 500 h.p. Detroit 60 was at one time a near-purchase. Honestly, I got scared off by the expense, complexity and beauty of that rig. I was sort of doubting my ability to pay for the purchase and have sufficient funds to treat it right. Ultimately, we decided to rethink, even considering just an upgrade of 5th wheels. But we were really itching to have the self contained coach experience. When considering some less costly pursuits, we checked out a 20 year old Winnebago gasser and a similar age Fleetwood with an ISB. I considered both as inadequately powered for our travels in the Western U.S. and Canada. In between, we viewed and studied a good number of RVs and learned a lot. There are many, many highly maintained diesel pushers out there, and some real beaters too. As I was getting tired of the hunt, a private party Dutch Star showed up in localized advertising. We have been working on a deal for nearly two weeks now, and it's all coming together. It was more money than we had decided to spend, but I think it will be worth it.

Still feeling a bit overwhelmed by all the comforts, features and things that could go wrong with this sweet machine, so we are spending quite a sum on this inspection tomorrow. It's a deep-dive by a NRVIA inspector, including detailed fluid analysis (main engine, gen. engine, both coolants + transmission).

I'm pretty sure that claims of a new coach purchase are not real until photos are posted. Fair enough, I will do so when we bring the rig home in about a week, knock on wood, barring any major findings with the inspection.

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my queries. It's been very helpful as I have contemplated this major leap! Looking forward to learning more once we are at home with our new mansion on wheels. Hopefully, we'll be sharing what we can once we have something useful to contribute.

So, really, there is a wolf afterall.

Congrats on the new coach. My last coach was a 2004 Dutch Star on a Spartan chassis. Great coach and very reliable. One thing to check during the inspection is the front ball joint boots if it is on a Spartan chassis. The boots prematurely deteriorated causing ball joint failure. About a $2k repair. Hope you enjoy your new coach and make many great memories.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Lifer View Post
I fully understand feeling like a "Tire Kicker". My wife and I were so ready to pull the trigger and just go for it. That was until I started asking a million questions on these forums. We have learned so much from all the experiences of the members on here. First and foremost we learned how much we really didn't know. We were going into this with 5 years experience living full time in a 5th wheel and have had absolutely no major issues. We naturally "assumed" going into a MH would be the same. We are still making the move but instead of going guns blazing and jumping in, I believe we will slow the process down some.
You put into words exactly what I was unable to describe. We've been in truck campers, travel trailers and 5th wheels for 15 years. Diesel F-350s and Cummins powered Dodge Rams even longer. But we are now in for a steep learning curve. Our previous moves up in size and features of RVs has been simple, since we understood the onboard systems already and were comfortable with time on the road, finding campsites and getting set-up, etc. Our past experience has value that encompasses a fraction of the body of knowledge we will need going forward.

Thanks Lifer for putting it the way it is for us as well.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippinbye View Post
You put into words exactly what I was unable to describe. We've been in truck campers, travel trailers and 5th wheels for 15 years. Diesel F-350s and Cummins powered Dodge Rams even longer. But we are now in for a steep learning curve. Our previous moves up in size and features of RVs has been simple, since we understood the onboard systems already and were comfortable with time on the road, finding campsites and getting set-up, etc. Our past experience has value that encompasses a fraction of the body of knowledge we will need going forward.

Thanks Lifer for putting it the way it is for us as well.
Some things will be just like you're used to and the biggest frustration will be finding the controls, buttons, magic knobs, etc that make those features work.

When they don't work, you'll spend lots of quality time with your coach figuring out where those clever elves at Newmar tucked away the junction box, cable, or hose you need to find.

Good luck with the inspection; I hope you have many more safe and fun miles ahead.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #11

Pics

Here's the pics to show she's real. Inspect seems good based on verbal feedback. Initial report tomorrow, fluid analysis in about a week. I'm expecting drive axle tires (known and account for in the deal), maybe all batteries, some small stuff like CO and fire detectors out of date. Seems promising.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5159.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	309179   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5158.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	309180  

Name:	IMG_5157.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	309181  
Old 11-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #12

One more pic - do I remove this mural?

I'm purchasing from the second owner. He has had the coach for two years. A large decal on the rear cap began peeling right after he acquired the rig. Naturally, he peeled it off. Lookie what was underneath: Somebody spent some money on this beautiful mural. Just a few man-hours on this piece od art. Joe Rosenthal's photo of the Iwo Jima flag raising is perhaps the most recognizable image of WWII. The Eagle, Globe and Anchor is a great symbol of American valor and patriotism. And Smper Fi certainly has special meaning to those who have served in the USMC. I'm not a Marine, won't pretend to be one, but my respect and gratefulness for their service is sincere. Speaking of valor, stolen valor is something that has gained attention in modern times. Wondering if me driving this mural around might amount to "borrowed valor." I really hate to paint over it, but the thought has crossed my mind. I have no intent of being a poser, Marine wannabe. The extent of my military contribution was listening to Walter Cronkite say "and that's the way it was ..." during Viet Nam from the front lines of my living room when I was an Army Brat, shooting enemy silhouettes with my .22 on the Fort Lewis Rifle Team, and flying troops to Europe and the Middle East in my civilian aircraft. I had a military ID until I was 18 and then again in my 30s when the B-747 I crewed was on-call for use by the USAF. No live ordinance, no ejection seat, just a chemical suit and an Antharx shot. I think I served with honor and dignity, but I didn't really do [moderator edit]! Just wondering what folks would think of me rolling down the road with that image on the back? I hear it's okay for a civie to say " Semper Fi" in response if a Marine says that to him; I expect that circumstance might arise.

Anyhow, thoughts appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5150.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	309182  
Old 11-24-2020, 09:20 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Looks like a nice rig. Let me share a recent experience: We have a ‘07 KSDP 3912. We bought 5 years ago. We have spent a lot of $$ on upgrades and repairs. We were having a reoccurring issue with the large passenger slide, so I made an appointment with Newmar in Nappanee.
While there, I had most of the chassis maintenance options performed. Certainly not a cheap decision. Were were there 2 weeks ago.

The point of this post is to share, I wish I had taken it to Nappanee the first year I owned it. I am amazed with the ride, drive, and quality of the service we received. I swear it rides and drives like a new coach. I doubt we will buy another coach, but if I do, it’s going to Nappanee the first year I own it.
Old 11-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #14

Looks like a great coach, congratulations.
In regards to the mural, I think it's awesome and would have a hard time removing something so well done.
How about adding a tag line to it, something like "In memory of all who have served, thank you".
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, newmar