Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #1

The front shade stopped working in the down position

We are getting ready for a trip tomorrow, and I went to raise the shade in the front and it would not work. It actually raised up about a foot and then stopped. It will not raise up or go down. What is the best way to get the shade up with the least amount of damage. I need a temporary fix without ruining anything. Can I just roll it up from the top and tape it?

TIA.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2021, 09:13 AM   #2

Location: Full-Timer, currently in Benson, AZ (for the winter)
Every now and then, I have an issue with the passenger window day-shade not going down or up correctly. I rotate it manually about 1/2 inch or so, then try the button again. Hope this helps. 2016 DSDP 4369.
Jaj1260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #3

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaj1260 View Post
Every now and then, I have an issue with the passenger window day-shade not going down or up correctly. I rotate it manually about 1/2 inch or so, then try the button again. Hope this helps. 2016 DSDP 4369.
The OP's question is one I've hoped would not happen to me and so far, so good. But related to this response, if rotating it "just a little" and trying again doesn't work, is it possible to roll one of these shades all the way up "by hand?"
Old 07-21-2021, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
We are getting ready for a trip tomorrow, and I went to raise the shade in the front and it would not work. It actually raised up about a foot and then stopped. It will not raise up or go down. What is the best way to get the shade up with the least amount of damage. I need a temporary fix without ruining anything. Can I just roll it up from the top and tape it?

TIA.
Have you tried a 12 volt shut for 30-60 seconds, this probably won't work but its free. If that does not work you should be able to roll it up by taking it and pushing it up and over it self, keep doing it till its up high enough. Hope this helps.
I would not try and force the shade by rolling it up.
96kpmjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:57 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Our shade just runs on a simple plastic track. You could probably just slide it up and put a bull clip, spring clip in the track to hold it in a bunched up position.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #6

After checking battery voltages again (both are 12.9v) I called Newmar. I can hear a click when I engage the switch either way, so I know it’s getting power. CS said that it is probably the motor. It is a pretty common failure. For the short term, I rolled the shade up from the bottom. When I got to the top, I reinserted the metal bar into the channel on the A pillar and then duck taped the rolled up shade to motorized roll in 4 places. The Parts Dept is telling me that it is an Automotion shade. Has anyone replaced one before? Is it difficult? The motor alone is $212 and the whole shade is $472. I’m leaning towards replacing it all.
Old 07-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Before you replace it, try doing the height adjustment procedure. They're height adjustable so they only roll down to far while driving. I've had one in the past that brain farted and resetting the height adjustment solved the issue.

There should be a procedure on Automotion's website to reset the inner and outer shade drops.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
After checking battery voltages again (both are 12.9v) I called Newmar. I can hear a click when I engage the switch either way, so I know it’s getting power. CS said that it is probably the motor. It is a pretty common failure. For the short term, I rolled the shade up from the bottom. When I got to the top, I reinserted the metal bar into the channel on the A pillar and then duck taped the rolled up shade to motorized roll in 4 places. The Parts Dept is telling me that it is an Automotion shade. Has anyone replaced one before? Is it difficult? The motor alone is $212 and the whole shade is $472. I’m leaning towards replacing it all.
Are you sure it's not a MCD shade? My 2015 are all the old style MCD shades. If it's switch only it's not a remote shade but the switched type. You have those type of motors in the Mid and Master Baths. If they are MCD you could always remove one from your bathroom shades and install it in your front shade.

Again, only if they are MCD. It should show a little badge/sticker on the front bottom of the shade.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Are you sure it's not a MCD shade? My 2015 are all the old style MCD shades. If it's switch only it's not a remote shade but the switched type. You have those type of motors in the Mid and Master Baths. If they are MCD you could always remove one from your bathroom shades and install it in your front shade.

Again, only if they are MCD. It should show a little badge/sticker on the front bottom of the shade.
Newmar parts said that based on my Coach Number, it’s an Automotion shade , 94 1/4 wide by 53. It is a single roller controlled by a single rocker switch on the dash. It is the only motorized shade in our coach.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:17 PM   #10

MCD motors are only $48.?? from Newmar parts and just literally slip into the end of the shade tube.
MCD shades are on a track and both shades are attached to the track and come down together.
Wiring the leads is easy
Utube MCD has videos on changing motors and programming.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:23 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar no longer has the older style MCD motors. The new style are $107+

Based on his coach, Newmar must have used the other brand as he stated.

A couple of my shades are acting up as well and I've been through MCD and Newmar with what is possible. I would have to use my older shades, say from the bedroom remote shades and replace with the new motors as well as a new style controller.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:29 PM   #12

Our 2014 Canyon Star 3921 just did the same thing about a month ago. The front day shade only went up about 6" and then quit. Go to automotionshade.com and go to the support tab. From there go to technical manuals. There are several documents there that talk about 1st and 2nd generation shade motors. We have the day/night shade assembly. I replaced both motors with the 2nd generation motors and had to rewire both control switches to make the replacement shade work. I purchased the motors direct from Newmar Parts. It took a little time but was not to bad. Takes 2 people to get the shades down and back up. Hope this helps.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:25 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Before you replace it, try doing the height adjustment procedure. They're height adjustable so they only roll down to far while driving. I've had one in the past that brain farted and resetting the height adjustment solved the issue.

There should be a procedure on Automotion's website to reset the inner and outer shade drops.

In order to do this on a front shade you will need a remote to wire into it. I bought one from Newmar to do my own adjustments.
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:23 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know some need a remote, but on both my Dutch Stars, (MCD) there were buttons, dangling from the driver's side end of the shade that allow you to do the reset.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote