Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #1

the lowdown on tire pressure monitors

I would like to add tire pressure monitors to my toad/trailer. There are several systems available.

Who has experience with them and would you buy it again?

Any particular type/brand to avoid?

thanks
travelers1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Saber77
We just had Camping World install the TST system on both our motorhome and toad. The system seems to work just fine -- the alarm and light came on during one cold morning when the temp dipped enough to lower the tire pressure -- so we know it works. My only advice is to install the monitor in a location where it's easy to see and read while driving.
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Here's a link to a previous thread on TPMS's. Maybe it'll help you.

You can also put Tire Pressure Monitoring System in the Search box & a bunch of threads will list.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:31 AM   #4

I have the Doran TPMS for the MH and my car trailer. I haven't bothered doing it with my toad, but I suppose I should.

With the trailer, I did have to get the repeater because it was losing the signal from the rear trailer tires.

It works well, and it certainly and easy install. I like the fact that I can switch between my trailer and toad if I want to. The sensors just screw on to the valve stems, and then you set the pressure on the display unit.
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #5

I have had good luck with Pressure Pro. Had problems with reception on the toad, but solved that problem with a repeater. Have had the system for 3 years. Had a recent problem with no reception of the right front transmitter. Sent the unit to pressure pro and they replaced it even though it was out of warranty. Easy system to set up and very easy to use.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have Pressure Pro installed. No Problems but one complaint. I wished it showed the tire temp along with the pressure on the monitor. AND... the tire temp as Fahrenheit NOT Celsius

The Pressure Pro monitor can display the tire temps, but you have to cycle through a menu to see it and then do the math for Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion. While doing that is not terribly bad, it's the both (menu drilling and conversion) combined that makes getting a temp readout cumbersome.

Celsius to Fahrenheit EASY:

Celsius times 2 plus 32

Double Celsius and add 32
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #7

To get a bit more accurate use C times 2, minus 10%, plus 32.

Exp: 15x2=30; minus 10%=27; plus 32 =59, which = 15 C.

Oh yeah, original topic - been using Pressure Pro for about 5 years and I love it!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:30 PM   #8

I purchased the Pressure Pro at the Tampa show last January and it works great. It is installed on both the Dutchstar and the towed Tahoe. The bonus I wasn't counting on is that you don't need to get the pressure gauge out every morning.
The previous summer we lost a tire on the Tahoe while traveling I-90 around Buffalo and didn't know about it until I saw the smoke in the mirror. There was about an inch of rubber left on the wheel when we stopped. Now I also carry a small floor jack because when the tire is flat the bottle jack supplied with the Tahoe doesn't fit under the axle. The worst part about changing the tire was trying to dig a hole in the shoulder of the road to get the jack in place. Pressure Pro is great!
Bahamabay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #9

thanks all....good information. The link helped too.
travelers1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:27 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I installed the TST system on MH and toad. I am very happy with the system.
Herbdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read some positive comments about a very inexpensive tpms that is being sold on ebay. If you get what you pay for, this will be a big disappointment but I took a chance. It was less than $20 for a wireless system for the toad. It will alarm at 28lbs of pressure. Do an ebay search for secutire. They have a 10 sensor set that alarms at 90psi that might work for an RV. For $20, delivered I'm going to try it. Happy New Year
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:16 PM   #12

If anyone is interested in the TST system you can buy it direct from the factory at a discount with a two year warranty. i.e. 10 monitor system for $399.00.....That's a real good price compared to the Pressure Pro.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #13

Have the TST system because it monitors both pressure and temp. Had 2 sending units go bad, leaks & no readout, both replaced with no questions ask. Great customer service and decent price.
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
All TPMS are good, some better than others. All Motor Homes are good, some better than others.
There is a very comforting feeling getting up in the morning or getting ready for a trip and having the tire monitor display gauge read off your tire pressures rather than getting out the stick gauge and heading out on all fours to check each and every wheel.
Personally I'd be a little leary of a $20 TPM system.
I'm not saying mine is better than yours but we have the TST system and after our research we felt that was the best system reagrdless of price, and still do.
The important thing is get one.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote