Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
The new 32" front tv

Made a box that slides out on 150 lb rated door slides. Then cut the back down and installed electric shades. It has to slide out to be able to open side doors all the way, but not for general use. Mounted the shade remote to the steering wheel with velcro so can work it with left thumb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM003832.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	6268   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM003833.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	6269  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IM003838.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	6270  
oldcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2010, 03:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good job oldcouple will add to Quick Tips.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:53 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi oldcouple,
Excellent choice and job well done. I've been looking for something like this. Can you tell us about the mount? Brand, model, etc and where did you make the purchase?

thanks,
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #4

Looks good. I recently installed a 32" Samsung LED-LCD in my 2005 Dutch Star. The TV is 1.2" thick and weighs 18 pounds. After removing the wood bezel the TV fit perfect in the opening - just like it was made for my motorhome.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Guess I should have said Drawer slides, standard, not sure what brand, got them at Lowes, had to look for the shortest ones, think they were twelve inch. I drilled all the way thru the bottom of the cabinet and mounted the base with bolts, then put chrome acorns nuts on the outside. I used angle iron and strap welded and bent to fit bottom contour and top of tv to give extra support, the back is just plastic so did not think it would hold if using only that to mount like you would to a wall in a house with no movement.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
Looks good. I recently installed a 32" Samsung LED-LCD in my 2005 Dutch Star. The TV is 1.2" thick and weighs 18 pounds. After removing the wood bezel the TV fit perfect in the opening - just like it was made for my motorhome.
Norm4015...What is the model number of the Samsung?

I have a 2005 4009 DSDP.

Thanks,

Steve

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Norm,

Maybe you would consider posting a photo also. This may just be what some of us need for a relatively esy install. Thanks.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
Norm4015...What is the model number of the Samsung?

I have a 2005 4009 DSDP.

Thanks,

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadoon View Post
Norm,

Maybe you would consider posting a photo also. This may just be what some of us need for a relatively esy install. Thanks.
I'm at a rally way out in the boonies. When I get a chance I'll post a picture and information on the install.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #9

Norm4015, I would also like to know what Samsung model you used. I am in the process of researching changing out the TV in my '03 DSDP, and haven't found a 32" unit that will fit my opening.

DutchBoy
DutchBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Skype™ to green-hornet
Norm: How did you remove the front TV bezel? Can't see where it is connected. Back TV bezel seems to be attached with screws covered by bung plugs. Now screws evident on the front. Any help would be appreciated.
green-hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
The Newmar tv trim mounts thru the sides,there is a number six or eight roberson screw on each side that is accessed thru the storage doors, maybe more than one. When removed the front trim slides out and it is attached to a filler on each side. Not sure how the tv itself mounts as it was missing when I got the coach.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Skype™ to green-hornet
Thanks! I would never have thought to look there. BTW, you two have perhaps the greatest profile picture imaginable. You clearly enjoy life!
green-hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Green-hornet, you are welcome. Thank you for the complement on the picture. Sadly my wife passed away last July from ALS. I really should change it, but have not found one to replace it with yet.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #14

I finally found time to make pictures of my HDTV installation. I have a 2005 Dutch Star that came with a 24" Sony TV that weighed 84 pounds. My installation required no modifications of the cabinet - just removed the wood bezel, the old TV and the screen in the rear of the cabinet and threw them away.

The new TV is a 32" Samsung LED-LCD that is 1.2" deep and weighs 18 pounds. I bought it at Best Buy (model UN32C5000QF). There is a small lip or frame around the TV screen and it fits perfectly over the cabinet opening. The back 1" deep TV fits perfectly and snuggly into the cabinet opening. If I had designed the TV myself I couldn't have come up with a snugger fit.

I screwed two pieces of aluminum angle iron across the back of the TV and attached angle iron pieces to the ends of the front pieces. I had my wife hold the TV in place while I worked from the rear putting screws through the side angle irons into the cabinet side walls. The cabinet is tapered so the angle iron is not flush, but the screws brought it in very tight.

There was a 3" opening at the top so I cut a piece of wood and stained it to match the cabinets. One caution. The TV speakers are on the bottom so they are blocked and give a muffled sound, but we play the TV through the surround sound and never use the TV's speakers. If we wanted to use the TV's speakers I would have mounted the TV at the top of the cabinet and covered the 3" below it with speaker fabric.

The first picture shows a side view and how snuggly it fits into the cabinet and the second picture is a front view. A perfect fit with no modifications required.