Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #1

Nothing like a day camping in the rain to find what's wrong with a new motor home! We picked up our new '07 DSDP 4307 after a couple weeks of adjustments, additions and fixes that were required after our first trip in early October.

Independence RV in Winter Garden did a nice job. Good attention to detail, caught a couple of things that we hadn't. All in all we're still pleased with our choice of dealer.

Saturday, while sitting in a pouring rain at the campground a little south of Orlando, we found that our passenger side living room slide started leaking through the overhead cabinet. Significant amount of water that soaked the cabinet liner and dripped down onto me, sitting on the J-sofa.

It was just before 5:00 pm, so I called the dealer and they made arrangements to meet me there on Sunday (we couldn't do it on Saturday night) to drop the coach back for a look.

Both Independence and Newmar factory people claim that the dealer's techs are sharp - we'll find out. Of course, my concerns are wet insulation, wet behind any wall, especially above the window, and eventual mold issues.

On Monday I'll probably go ahead and call Newmar and set up an appointment for next Spring when we are on our way back to Michigan. I'm sure there will be other reasons to stop.

But here's what may be the most important question: I've been following Bob's saga on his LADP. My name's Bob. Should I be worried?!
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2007, 12:36 PM   #2

Nothing like a day camping in the rain to find what's wrong with a new motor home! We picked up our new '07 DSDP 4307 after a couple weeks of adjustments, additions and fixes that were required after our first trip in early October.

Independence RV in Winter Garden did a nice job. Good attention to detail, caught a couple of things that we hadn't. All in all we're still pleased with our choice of dealer.

Saturday, while sitting in a pouring rain at the campground a little south of Orlando, we found that our passenger side living room slide started leaking through the overhead cabinet. Significant amount of water that soaked the cabinet liner and dripped down onto me, sitting on the J-sofa.

It was just before 5:00 pm, so I called the dealer and they made arrangements to meet me there on Sunday (we couldn't do it on Saturday night) to drop the coach back for a look.

Both Independence and Newmar factory people claim that the dealer's techs are sharp - we'll find out. Of course, my concerns are wet insulation, wet behind any wall, especially above the window, and eventual mold issues.

On Monday I'll probably go ahead and call Newmar and set up an appointment for next Spring when we are on our way back to Michigan. I'm sure there will be other reasons to stop.

But here's what may be the most important question: I've been following Bob's saga on his LADP. My name's Bob. Should I be worried?!
Old 10-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've been following Bob's saga on his LADB. My name's Bob. Should I be worried?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not worried.....PETRIFIED!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:26 PM   #4

OOPS! Sorry for the misnomer. That should be LADB, not LADP.

"Petrified?"

I'd rather start with "cautiously optimistic that I won't have nearly as many problems," and then let it get worse from there!
B.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
One thing to check when slide is moving out is the rubber seal is folding outward as slide is moving out. All the seals around the slide should act as a wipper and be flush against slide walls and ceiling of slide without any folds as you see it come down slide wall. Any fold will allow the water to get behind it and run on inside of seal to rug and floor below.
My coach is four years old and I check the seal outside and if a fold is found will run my awning rod up behind seal, loop end, to fold out as it should be.
The top of the slide looking at it when in should have a white rubber seal between the top angled pitch of slide roof and the interior facia and a abundent of rubber sealent at that meeting point of roof and facia.
Finding a leak early should not effect the interior of wall the heat in FL. should take care of that, quicker if its on the side.
I just found a leak coming from the seal seam between the side wall and front cap over front pass. window where water was traveling down behind the screw dress molding outside and getting the floor rug wet at passenger corner of dash. I cleaned out seam and resealed and rug has dried and wall inside "A" frame chanel is dry and clear of any rot,rust or mold the materials use in these coach's shed the water.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #6

Here's an update from the techs at Independence RV on what caused the leaking slide.

When they moved the slide out to check it over, they noticed that the forward locking arm opened up when the slide was out. That's where the wind-driven rain entered. Additionally, run-off from the roof of the slide ran down the wall and into the opening.

This all makes sense to me, because it was the very front overhead cabinet that was leaking and very wet on the inside.

So, they have repaired that, and are in the process of replacing any other parts that were damaged because of it.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes that has happened before to others with these new coachs and options its getting hard to keep up with it all.
Will add this thread in Quick tips so others will be given notice, thanks BOB
Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BCook57:
I've been following Bob's saga on his LADP. My name's Bob. Should I be worried?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob, my name is Bob, check out my shakedown list. The dealer say's "it's the longest he has ever seen". The unit has been at the dealer for six weeks as of Oct 29/07

The following is a list of ongoing warranty issues now being addressed at my dealer. Many of the items are just unlucky but things like the battery tray issue and water in the inverter compartment issue apply to all of us who own 3950's.

Work done after first day of ownership.
Leak in roof (resolved)
Latch on window (resolved)
Lumbar support (resolved)
Mirror range of motion (resolved)
Mud-flaps rubbing on tires (resolved)
Plastic defrost vent cracked (resolved) "will crack again" service tech Bob
Plastic covers on Level-Legs Jacks (resolved) possible damage done to function

Dinette bed function (unresolved)
Rattle from sub-woofer (unresolved)
Antenna up warning light (unresolved)
Bathroom door vibrates open (unresolved)

Work done June 23rd (unit had not been used for almost 2 months due to a chassis recall)
Loose screw in dash (resolved)
Water in inverter compartment (resolved)
Replace flawed windshield passenger side (resolved)

Wiper arm (unresolved)
Cut in mattress (unresolved)
Atwood recall cook top (unresolved)
Screws in ladder support (unresolved)
Cable to swivel mechanism on driver's seat (unresolved)

Work order # 96133 (written last day of first vacation)

Blind behind couch
Blind master bedroom
Battery tray latch broken
Rocker panel (left rear) falling off
Plastic lenses falls off ceiling light
Passenger side privacy curtain two inches too long
Water heater 110-volt switch stuck in the on position
Windshield fit inappropriate drivers side possible leak
Crack in entry access handle highly visible when illuminated
Drivers side privacy curtain sticks at corner (track bent too tight)
Plywood too small for opening dinette (wife fell through while kneeling)
Driver's dash vents (right mount rotates) (left won't rotate and is damaged)
Level-Legs will not work (see previous work done) (see sequence of events)

Issues to be added to work order # 96133 (last day of second short vacation)
Doors warping
Gel-coat cracks.
Fuzzy doorstops falling off
Fuzzy doorstops won't stop chaffing
Fuzzy doorstop inappropriately located
Fiberglass fender flapping at highway speeds
Stray staple in cabinet wall (remove and repair)
Small storage compartment door jamming at top
Gas shock leaking oil, propane compartment door
Dash accent too large for depression in plastic (falls off)
Fantastic fan leaks while driving in heavy rain and sticks closed
Sporadically the gauges go to zero, transmission alarms, error code J1939
Slide-out breaking down around the corner rollers. Edge of slide floor is failing.

Damage to slide includes:
1. The rollers are slanted
2. The plywood slide floor is humped in corners
3. The rack and pinion gears have partially jumped a cog
4. The gears are out of synchronicity
5. The fascia is crushing the carpet
6. The slide is scuffing the opening
7. The front edge lower than rear
8. Jerky uneven movements
9. Cracking noises
10. Angular travel

Chassis repairs and recalls:
Recall Busman (resolved)
Heater hose kinked (resolved)
Heater hose leaking (resolved)
Over-filled differential (resolved)
Recall engine mounts in backwards (resolved)
Recall fill rated on coolant system too slow (resolved)
Battery terminals loose and reconnected. 50 miles on a tow truck. (resolved)

Sequence of Events: Level-Legs Dysfunction

1. Warranty Service on June 23rd at Woody's replaced cracked plastic protective caps on two of the Level-Legs jacks. Right front and left rear (function of the Level-Legs was perfect prior to the repair)
2. A few days after the repair at Woody's during the first "auto-level" deployment of the Level-Legs, the red and green lights flashed continuously and an alarm buzzer sounded.
3. It was noted that the air had dumped from the suspension and that only three legs were deployed. The left rear leg did not deploy.
4. Pushing the "Retract All" buttons successfully retracted all the legs but the suspension air remained dumped and the flashing lights and buzzers continued.
5. Upon restarting the engine it was noted that the flashing lights and error alarms resumed and that the suspension air remained dumped.
6. Unable to drive with no air in the suspension it was decided that the unit should be towed back to Woody,s.
7. The unit was parked on a narrow driveway at the family farm. There was no access for a tow truck so we decided to drive the unit a short distance on level ground to the middle of the farmyard.
8. The Level-Legs remained retracted, the error alarms continued but when the park brake was released the unit's suspension aired up.
9. Unfortunately every time the service brakes were applied there was a horrible ratcheting sound from the fully retracted Level-Legs.
10. After a bit of maneuvering and several applications of the service brakes the lights stopped flashing, the alarms quit buzzing and the horrible ratcheting sound stopped.
11. The unit remained aired up and the drove as normal.
12. The Level-Leg instructions indicated that if 9 retractions occur in less than thirty minutes then the system would shut down. As far as we know the system remains shut down. No attempts have been made to use the Level- Legs.

We have been leveling the unit by choosing level campsites and using planks to fine-tune the level since June 24

Bob and Judith Smith,
2007 Allstar,
Planning to retire in two years

2007 Allstar,
jjbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:09 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With that list someone from Newmar should have taken coach back to factory and have a rebuild done on it.
Dealer has his hands full with your coach he must be good.
Was in Alberta in 2000 and a couple of Newmar dealers. You must be a patient person to stick it out this long.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
With that list someone from Newmar should have taken coach back to factory and have a rebuild done on it.
Dealer has his hands full with your coach he must be good.
Was in Alberta in 2000 and a couple of Newmar dealers. You must be a patient person to stick it out this long. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
007, sorry that I havn't acknowledged your comments sooner. My lap top had a big drink of coffee and hasn't worked since. I havn't had many chances to log on.
The dealer has had the coach for almost eight weeks and there is still lot to do, or so I'm told. The dealer called me yesterday to ask me if they could take off the rear cap. That's the whole fiberglass rear end of the coach. Apparently the screws that hold the ladder on to the cap all missed the backing support built into the cap. This is a safety issue because the ladder could have been pulled off the rear cap while in use.
I found an Allstar at a dealer in Oregon in July and looked to see if the screws on that coach had missed the backing supports. Newmar had fixed the problem by adding new backing supports in the correct locations so I guess they know about the problem and have fixed it on the newer models.
Any way it's cold here in Alberta so we don't need the coach for a while. I guess I will wait and see.

2007 Allstar,
jjbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good luck your dealer seems to know whats up. Hope they keep your coach in warm garage or winterize it deserves it.