Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
themometer locations & thermometer calibrations

I am wondering if there is a themometer on the actual thermostat/ control unit (located in the cabinet above the coach entry) that contrls the AC/Heat pump on my mountain aire. I am aware that there is on in our bedroom on the wall. There seems to be at least 6-8 degrees difference in what the heat pump or furnace is set to and what the room actually registers and it also seems to not cycle on until there is at least 4-6 degrees difference in the settings. Is this normal?

Is there a way to recalibrate the thermostat in the control unit that runs the AC/Heat Pump/Furnace to lessen the difference in actual temp and settings? Any help would be appreciated. I did do a reset on the control unit per the instructions but that did not seem to make a difference. Thanks in advance for any help.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #2

First let me say I could be wrong about this!! But I doubt that the control unit in the cabinet where you set the temp. is where it gets it's temp. reading. I think you probably have another sensor somewhere in the living area just like the one you say you have in the bedroom. You probably just haven't noticed it being there. I can't believe Newmar would try to control temp from a thermostat in a cabinet. It would be impossible to get accurate readings in that location.

As for the big swing in temp. between cycles, I don't know if there is anyway to adjust the control. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can help with that.
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is a temperature sensor on the control unit that you say is in over head cabinet.
If thats the case would think you would have a sensor in the living area like the one in bedroom.
Sometimes the sensor falls out of plastic cage on wall and into the wall and needs to be fished out of wall cavity.
Trouble Spec for Heat Pump system
If you need for 5 Button control its in QT's 1 & 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #4

The living room sensor in our MA is under the upper cabinet backing on the bathroom wall next to the table. Ours is dead on with the set temperature.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gary G.,
There are thermistors that sense the temp. They are covered by a cap with slots in it. The slots allow air flow over the thermistor. There should be two in your coach. One in the bedroom and one in the living area (somewhere). For my coach the difference between the set temp and the actual temp will vary, depending on the outside temp. The hotter or colder the outside temp the more the variance. I compensate by turning the HVAC up or down so the units run longer and maintain the inside temp where I want it. I purchased an inside thermometer (2) and placed one in the bedroom and one in the living area. Now I know what the inside temp is.

The control box where you make temp adjustments and determine if it is heat or A/C that is needed is the brain, but not the sensing unit.

Lastly, I moved the thermistor for the bedroom to just inside the last return air vent. It was located on an outside wall (very poor place for a sensitive thermistor). This also aided in having the bedroom HVAC unit run the appropriate amount of time to maintain the correct temp.

FYI, thermistors are VERY sensitive to temp change. For the bedroom thermistor, I had to wrap it in heat shrink plastic to desensitize it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your great help. Located the 2nd senor, right where Tyka said it was, located under the upper cabinet above the corian counter top hutch. Wow, I'd never have found it. Also, had an electric heater near there so no wonder the temps were way off. guess I'll move the heater farther away from the sensor. Thanks again everyone for all your help.

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote