Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thermo pane windows prob ...ever see this???

Well still working on my mountain aire pusher and now looking at my passenger side thermo pane windows??? Has anyone ever seen this? Previous owner says it was in very hot sun in arizona and this was the results. As a retired builder I have never seen a thermo do this. You would think to hot would expand but these seem to have created a vacuum sucking the sealant up.
This is on every passenger side window. Will have fun repairing this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_110101.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	257416   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_110108.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	274.6 KB
ID:	257417  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190816_110118.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	195.8 KB
ID:	257418  
bioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 11:24 PM   #2

I've seen movement of the sealant ... but not that bad.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:56 AM   #3

Yes, adds a bit of interest to the view.

My 1999 Airstream pusher has all of the fixed windows like that, but none of the sliders

There are people who will fix the problem and at least one company who caters for the intrepid or broke DIYers by selling replacement seal kits
Old 08-20-2019, 03:22 AM   #4

I have one window doing the same thing, not to the extent though. I can't seem to figure out why it happens...
Old 08-20-2019, 04:37 AM   #5
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very hot and then some wind? Must have been like a convection oven or blast furnace. Maybe they drove off when it was very hot.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:13 AM   #6

I have a couple just like that. You can get them repaired for $250 each in central FL (that's why I haven't gotten mine repaired yet ).
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:09 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow we are not the only ones as I looked over the other forums and web search. Found a guy that does the repairs and is well wanted but he also has a web site for a kit for DIY guys like me. Here is his site:
https://www.daverootrvglassrepair.co...pair-kits.html
Old 08-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #8

Those look like my windows a few years after I bought my coach in Dec 1999. They were SE-GI windows and were just poorly made. SE-GI was still in business when mine went bad and replaced all of them at no charge. Now I see the driver window is doing it again,
You can get all the repair parts on Amazon and save a lot of money over the Dave Root kit. A friend and I did all his windows in an Alfa-Seeya and all of mine in my Harney Took awhile but came out good. I didn't do the driver window then.
Several good videos on youtube to look at the procedure.
SE-GI went out of business several years ago.
Busyguy
busyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:43 PM   #9

Just a theory

My theory on why the windows look like they do. When the windows get hot the air inside them expands and some leaks out through the warm glue/sealant. The windows cool off the sealant begins to seal somewhat again and the contracting air inside the window pulls the seals in. Just a theory but I've seen the same sort of thing empty bottles that had a tube that went all of the way to the bottom. Heat expanded the air, pushing the oil out, air cooled off and the air sucked back in. In a few months the oiler was empty and I hadn't used it. Pulled the tube up above the level of the oil and the problem disappeared. I guess that partially answers the question of why they put inert gas in residential thermopane windows.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
My theory on why the windows look like they do. When the windows get hot the air inside them expands and some leaks out through the warm glue/sealant. The windows cool off the sealant begins to seal somewhat again and the contracting air inside the window pulls the seals in. Just a theory but I've seen the same sort of thing empty bottles that had a tube that went all of the way to the bottom. Heat expanded the air, pushing the oil out, air cooled off and the air sucked back in. In a few months the oiler was empty and I hadn't used it. Pulled the tube up above the level of the oil and the problem disappeared. I guess that partially answers the question of why they put inert gas in residential thermopane windows.
Your theory is exactly right. See post 9 in this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/dama...ml#post4678059

The inert gas is usually Argon, Krypton, or Xenon and it's used to reduce the convection. Most windows still use air though.
Woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioguy View Post
Wow we are not the only ones as I looked over the other forums and web search. Found a guy that does the repairs and is well wanted but he also has a web site for a kit for DIY guys like me. Here is his site:
https://www.daverootrvglassrepair.co...pair-kits.html

I have had unfortunate experience with Dave Root RV Glass. I have several of thefogged windows and one with creeping seals. His web site says to email him with information on windows and someone will get back to you within a few work days. 3 weeks, no reply. So I found his phone number and called. Machine answered and said to please leave name and number and someone would get back to us the next business day. 1 week later no response. He has a good reputation for his work but customer service sucks. Found a local guy who sounds very knowledgeable and experienced. He called right back next day. Came out to look at windows. Gave me a quote that sounded fair. Said he could come out the next day and remove window (actually a 3 frame window) and could have it back to us in a week. He would close up the opening in the meantime.
Long story short. He was here day he said he would. Repaired and replaced window 3 days before he said he would ....and charged less than quoted price. That’s CS!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:02 AM   #12

If you're handy you can do this yourself but you cannot make your own spacer or reuse a spacer or it will just fog again. The spacer contains desiccant to absorb any moisture. Most square-cornered residential and commercial IG units use hollow metal spacers filled with desiccant pellets. Since you probably don't have a bender and dies to form the radiused corners, you'll need to use a flexible spacer. Probably the best flexible spacer is the Edgetech Super Spacer. Search "super spacer" on Amazon. It's a silicone foam embedded with desiccant and has the adhesive on two sides. It comes in various widths so measure your spacer before separating the glass. The glass may also be etched slightly from the moisture so it may need to be cleaned with a water spot and stain remover such as CRL Sparkle (Amazon). Recess the outside edge of the spacer at least 1/16" and backfill with CRL 877 Super Spacer Sealant. Also on Amazon. Tool the edge with a plastic spatula.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:54 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woo10-210 View Post
If you're handy you can do this yourself but you cannot make your own spacer or reuse a spacer or it will just fog again. The spacer contains desiccant to absorb any moisture. Most square-cornered residential and commercial IG units use hollow metal spacers filled with desiccant pellets. Since you probably don't have a bender and dies to form the radiused corners, you'll need to use a flexible spacer. Probably the best flexible spacer is the Edgetech Super Spacer. Search "super spacer" on Amazon. It's a silicone foam embedded with desiccant and has the adhesive on two sides. It comes in various widths so measure your spacer before separating the glass. The glass may also be etched slightly from the moisture so it may need to be cleaned with a water spot and stain remover such as CRL Sparkle (Amazon). Recess the outside edge of the spacer at least 1/16" and backfill with CRL 877 Super Spacer Sealant. Also on Amazon. Tool the edge with a plastic spatula.
Great to hear, and better to do yourself for good job. I found the items on amazon but better to search "Edgetech Super Spacer" as just super spacer sends you to tons of junk to go through. I already have a half tube of the caulk as I used it to seal my power window track on my truck window and it works great.
Thanks woo10
Will be a good winter project to do in heated low humidity shop.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:00 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Very good and I would say factual as to how it could happen as it is a method that would do it.
Can not figure why most glass companies that will make you a new window for your house but will not redo an RV window? They would not even have to use inert gas. Far be it from me on why.

Tags
wind, window