Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

Thermostat Operation Question

We pretty much are always in hot or warm weather and have the AC running .

Next week we will be heading into some cooler weather. I know if I put the controller on AUTO, it will run the AC/Heat Pumps to cool or heat as needed.

My question is, if the temps get too low for the heat pumps to operate properly, will the controller kick in the Oasis if it's from it's AUTO setting , or do I need to put it on Furnace ?

Hopefully it will only be for a few days, at most that we will be in the cooler weather.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2017, 10:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
We pretty much are always in hot or warm weather and have the AC running .

Next week we will be heading into some cooler weather. I know if I put the controller on AUTO, it will run the AC/Heat Pumps to cool or heat as needed.

My question is, if the temps get too low for the heat pumps to operate properly, will the controller kick in the Oasis if it's from it's AUTO setting , or do I need to put it on Furnace ?

Hopefully it will only be for a few days, at most that we will be in the cooler weather.
Assume you have a Dometic CCC2 (the thermostat with a circular blue display).

Are you total electric or propane?

BTW, your heatpumps will work down to about 35 degrees outside temp.

3 A/C units ?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Assume you have a Dometic CCC2 (the thermostat with a circular blue display).

Are you total electric or propane?

BTW, your heatpumps will work down to about 35 degrees outside temp.

3 A/C units ?
Yep- the blue circular display.... & total electric . Looks like the temps will be in the low 30's that's why I was wondering .
Old 08-31-2017, 03:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Yep- the blue circular display.... & total electric . Looks like the temps will be in the low 30's that's why I was wondering .
In auto mode, the priority for heat goes to heat pumps, then to furnace. I wish there was a way to change that. So if you don't want to listen to heat pumps for heat, you'll need to set your thermostat and put it on furnace. I even tried to get straight air conditioners without heat pumps for that very reason. (Not available) You would think there is some logic that could be changed somewhere but I've been told no. If anyone has a different story, I'd love to hear it.

If you have heated floors, that helps a bunch too, but you know that.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 03:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
In auto mode, the priority for heat goes to heat pumps, then to furnace. I wish there was a way to change that. So if you don't want to listen to heat pumps for heat, you'll need to set your thermostat and put it on furnace. I even tried to get straight air conditioners without heat pumps for that very reason. (Not available) You would think there is some logic that could be changed somewhere but I've been told no. If anyone has a different story, I'd love to hear it.

If you have heated floors, that helps a bunch too, but you know that.
No heated floors as we seldom venture into cold weather .... this is an unplanned exception.

So, if I leave it on auto, the heat pumps will run until they run out of ability to provide heat and then the Oasis will kick in ??

I suppose I could just put it on furnace before turning in for the night , but then need to remember to put it on auto or AC during the day as the daytime temps will be in the 70's and with dogs inside, when we are gone, need to make sure the AC is operational.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:55 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
You got it.
No one recommends auto. It fights with itself as the temperature spread is too close. You can set that to 1 or 2 degrees, but even that is not enough. It's really a manual system if you ask me. It just needs more/better options
Old 08-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
My experience was with the 4018 and two air conditioners/ heat pumps. With three the options might increase. In Arizona I kept the floors on low and the air conditioners set to 73.

You could set the front air conditioner to 72 for cooling and the rear to furnace and 66. That's as close to "automatic" as I can figure and bypass the heat pumps.

Maybe with three you could set the center to your cooling since that would spread then set the oasis in front and rear or vice versa.

There's a bunch of users out there with more experience than me so maybe we'll get some better ideas.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:32 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thermostat Operation Question

I wonder how many have not discovered the ability to PROGRAM the dometic t stat? Yep, I found it after two months.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:08 PM   #9

Wow ... I haven't done it in a long time. I'd need to check the manual. In our RV with 3 heatpumps and a HydroHot, zones 1,2, & 4 are A/C heatpumps. Zone 3 is HydroHot. If I remember correctly, only Zone 1 switches to Furnace automatically when the outside ambient temp sensor detects it's too cold for HP. I haven't been in a location below 35 in years. My advice would be to reread the manual and, as Neal said, investigate the Program Mode.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:15 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I wonder how many have not discovered the ability to PROGRAM the dometic t stat? Yep, I found it after two months.
I did the program mode and after two days got rid of it. It's been awhile and I can't remember why. Did it work well for you Neal?
Seems like it was still in the heat mode but I really need it to cool down. Sometimes the outside temps are not what you expected them to be at that hour. All I remember is that it didn't work well for me.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:12 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
What I don't like about it is when you're in program mode you cannot override the temps. Otherwise it works good. I had COOL set for the day (8 AM) and FURNACE set for 10 PM.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:47 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
What I don't like about it is when you're in program mode you cannot override the temps. Otherwise it works good. I had COOL set for the day (8 AM) and FURNACE set for 10 PM.
Right, and what if it's still cold at 8am? What if it got cold before 10? That might have been the reason Neal. I do remember that I went back to manual. Furnace when we went to bed and back to cool late morning. I set the front furnace to 2 degrees warmer so the bedroom furnace rarely ran.
It was 45-75 in Tucson this winter. Every once in awhile it got to freezing. That's when those heated floors are awesome. Perfect as far as I'm concerned.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:40 AM   #13

It got colder than expected this morning and the stat was on auto for all 3 zones. The heat pumps ran and the Oasis also fired up. Inside it was comfortable. Weather will be warming up until we get to Colorado where I'll have a chance to mess around with various settings to see what works best for us. Thanks for the input
Old 09-01-2017, 06:17 AM   #14

Quote:
It got colder than expected this morning and the stat was on auto for all 3 zones. The heat pumps ran and the Oasis also fired up. Inside it was comfortable. Weather will be warming up until we get to Colorado where I'll have a chance to mess around with various settings to see what works best for us. Thanks for the input
I think a lot will depend on sustained outside temperatures. We usually are located on 50amp sites and have used small quartz heaters for an 1/2 hour or so in the morning (they are very quiet and one of us may be up and the other sleeping).

Tags
thermostat