Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #1

Things I learned about my Baystar today.

Sorry to say it has not been a great day. But I have learned a few thing.
First I have a drain on the Chassis battery that I can't seem to find.

I have also figure out That the fuse block to the left of the brake peddle is actually 2 blocks. The top block is hot all the time. The bottom is only hot when the ignition is on.

Just encase any one wanted to know.

Which battery is charged by the small solar panel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_20150727_221848.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	101360  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 10:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your chassis battery is charged by the small solar panel, look to the end of this link for that info.
Your LP Detector may feed off the chassis battery plus the ECM, TCM, Radio, steps and jack system.
LP Detector may have a cut off switch in your display area for use when in storage.
If you can plug in your shore line when coach not in use to at least 110 outlet your B.I.M. should keep all your batteries charged.
This link and more on BS can be found in QT's # 3 the BS Section.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:45 AM   #3

My 2015 Canyon Star was an electrical nightmare from day one. After a year of frustration and an endless list of ongoing problems, we couldn't take it any longer and got rid of it. (at a hefty loss) I've owned several MH's over the last 40 plus years. To say this has been the worst is an understatement. I sincerely hope mine was an isolated case and that you will enjoy yours.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #4

As usual "007" is full of great useful information. thanks.

Our motor home is stored in our pole barn so the the solar panel has no function while stored. The unit is plugged in all the time while in storage to 50a service but that will not charge the chassis battery. But knowing that it will charge while we are camping is good to know.
I have also figure out the battery boost does not work so I will have to check the fuse on it.

Looking at the mess of wires under the dash of the Ford chassis where that fuse block I posted a picture of is located. I can understand were issues could be. There are many wires that are not hooked up to anything. Some things are just taped other have butt splices on them. (yuk).
Old 07-28-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

Gwiz, you need to make sure your system is operating correctly. When mine is plugged into shore power it charges the both the chassis battery and the house batteries. In fact all three sources of power, shore, generator, and engine charge all three batteries. I can't imagine that a 2013 would be that much different from a 2014, but who knows. Did you buy this new, if not maybe somebody added something and took it out prior to selling it and something is not connected properly.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

All the batteries should be charging when plugged in. Time to check the BIRD system.

007 will have the link along shortly.

I'm on my iPad and still haven't perfected that part yet.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #7

[URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/multiple-failures-in-electronics-205441.html#post2070537"]WIRING BSCA & CSCA BIRD SYSTEM

Try this.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
gwiz, any time your coach is plugged in for service whether 50 amp or 110 the Bird or B.I.M. should be charging all your battery systems, here is the link John was trying to give you.
Its also explained in this link.
And yes no Solar under cover.
As I said before some interesting threads in the BS Section of QT's# 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #9

Thanks 007, the iPad just doesn't work for posting links.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #10

Update - The Solenoid used for battery boost and charging the chassis battery was bad. Order a new on and replaced it.

Newmar was helpful but sent me a notice after I started asking questions that they have issue with a bunch of these units.

The replacement unit I ended up paying for had the main terminals 90degree different. The posts were also shorter. I will end up replacing the copper bar between posts of the two units with a cable to make it fit properly.

I am guessing someone at newmar found a replacement that had the same mounting holes and ignore how it was wired in the motor home.

Should have it fixed tomorrow.