Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #1

Thinking about a Ventana Le 4042

Hubby and I and 2 kids are thinking of jumping into owning an RV (yay!).

Because we have 2 young kids, a bunk model is a must. We also have settled on a diesel bc of the areas we will be travelling to over time.

We have narrowed it down our choices to the Ventana Le 4042 or a Tiffin Allegro. For NKK members, thoughts???

For those that own an LE, what do you like about it and what would you change???

We could bump up to a Ventana bunk model but that's a bit out of our budget! 😂

Also, what are average yearly maintenance costs for the Ventana Le's?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Hoosierfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 08:18 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I see you have almost 60 views and no responses. Your questions are quite broad. New or used? What is your time frame?

I doubt you'll get many people on this forum who will recommend the Tiffin, and I'd expect the same on the Tiffin forum.

The maintenance cost of the LE I'm quite sure is in line with any other diesel pusher. It will depend on the year and how many miles you expect to travel. A new coach will be pretty much fuel alone and an old coach could be thousands.

I don't know if I've helped you any but at least we got the thread bumped up.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #3

I'll venture a response. I am relatively new to Newmar but have been learning a lot from this forum. We bought a 2017 Ventana LE 4002 a few months ago. If you look at some of the older threads having to do with the LE, you will know that the engine does not have as much HP as higher end Newmars, Ventana included. Also the axle weights are lower. But we are plenty happy. We just drove 7500 miles across the US and back and when we got back, I was ready to keep going. It was just the two of us towing a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
We drove up and down several steep grades and did slow down to 40 a couple of times. I didn't mind since it was all part of the adventure. The 2017 seems to have more capacity so we did not run into issues with weight. So the HP and weight issues didn't turn us off.
The Comfort Steer turns out to be what everyone says it is; indispensable.
The ride and the overall comfort of the RV was great.
We used to travel with 4 kids in our 32' Southwind. Now the kids don't go with us much but when they do, we love the spaciousness, durability materials, and the layout.
We have friends with a nice Tiffin Allegro. I like the Newmar floor plan better and the Comfort Steer.
After 10000 miles, we had a few minor issues. Local Newmar dealer is taking care of them.
I think we made the right decision with the Ventana LE. We also would have liked the Ventana but had to be honest with what we could afford.
Don't know costs yet. I spent about $2500 in fuel and DEF on our cross country trip.
Planning on Freightliner service as soon as we get the RV back from the minor repairs.

Hope that helps some.
TeamReif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #4

That does help, thanks!

Sorry my original post was less than clear -- lol!

We are planning on purchasing brand new. Being newbies to RVs, we thought that would be more wise than purchasing used and not knowing what questions to ask / things to look for / how to know when a part etc is starting to go south.

We are planning on 1-2 week vacation during the summer, and a 5-10 short driving vacations during the year (long weekend) within a couple hours of home. So maybe 5,000 - 8,000 miles I would guess??
Old 08-16-2017, 06:38 AM   #5

We bought an LE 4040 new in '16, which is the predecessor to the 4042. It has fit our family fabulously and we have found it to easily cover all of our needs. Our usage profile is like yours, a big trip or two during the summer, long weekends otherwise.

We tow a Wrangler Unlimited with it and while more power might be nice at times, its generally unnecessary. An in reality, the times I have found that more power would have been nice, have almost always been because I failed to plan appropriately as I approached the grade.

I am guessing that you would likely be pretty satisfied with that coach.

John
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 05:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotspike View Post
We bought an LE 4040 new in '16, which is the predecessor to the 4042. It has fit our family fabulously and we have found it to easily cover all of our needs. Our usage profile is like yours, a big trip or two during the summer, long weekends otherwise.

We tow a Wrangler Unlimited with it and while more power might be nice at times, its generally unnecessary. An in reality, the times I have found that more power would have been nice, have almost always been because I failed to plan appropriately as I approached the grade.

I am guessing that you would likely be pretty satisfied with that coach.

John
John, thanks so much. I did not realize that there was a predecessor to the 4042...that's crucial info bc seeing that the 4042 was "a new floor plan for 2017", i didnt look for used Newmar Ventana Le bunk models. I assumed that to get bunks in the Le we needed to buy new.

Thanks again!! All of this helps so much!
Old 08-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierfans View Post
Hubby and I and 2 kids are thinking of jumping into owning an RV (yay!).

Because we have 2 young kids, a bunk model is a must. We also have settled on a diesel bc of the areas we will be travelling to over time.

We have narrowed it down our choices to the Ventana Le 4042 or a Tiffin Allegro. For NKK members, thoughts???

For those that own an LE, what do you like about it and what would you change???

We could bump up to a Ventana bunk model but that's a bit out of our budget! [emoji23]

Also, what are average yearly maintenance costs for the Ventana Le's?

Thanks in advance!!!!

I can't speak the the LE bunk model but we went through a similar situation 2 years ago. We started out purchasing a used Tiffin Allegro Red bunk as we are a younger family as well (wife and I are mid 30's with 3 young kids). I bought Tiffin based on everything I had read about them standing behind their product (which they did on the very few items that did need repair when we owned it- even out of warranty). As I mentioned we had very few issues & it was a nice coach however after 1 1/2 years and 15,000 miles we ran across 2 issues for us: lack of quality insulation & drivability on windy days. We live in FL most the year and there were times even with generator & both house A/C's on we couldn't keep coach below 82-85 during the day! When bringing this up to Tiffin their answer was to start A/C's in morning in low 60's to offset rising temps! I also am the only driver as my wife will not drive, so with that said on windy days (especially cross wind) I was worn out after driving 4-5 hours. For these reasons I started looking at other brands and kept coming back to Newmar. We factory ordered a DS 4310 (bunk model w 2 full baths) and took delivery last November. We have been thrilled with the new coach & these 2 issues no longer exist. I am able to keep the coach in the mid 70's during the day in 100 degree heat with only 2 of our 3 A/C's running! Also as mentioned comfort drive is amazing! There's been days after driving for many hours I've stopped and stepped out & had no idea how much wind there was. Good luck in your search & any questions feel free to reach out since we've had experience with both brands.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamReif View Post
I'll venture a response. I am relatively new to Newmar but have been learning a lot from this forum. We bought a 2017 Ventana LE 4002 a few months ago. If you look at some of the older threads having to do with the LE, you will know that the engine does not have as much HP as higher end Newmars, Ventana included. Also the axle weights are lower. But we are plenty happy. We just drove 7500 miles across the US and back and when we got back, I was ready to keep going. It was just the two of us towing a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
We drove up and down several steep grades and did slow down to 40 a couple of times. I didn't mind since it was all part of the adventure. The 2017 seems to have more capacity so we did not run into issues with weight. So the HP and weight issues didn't turn us off.
The Comfort Steer turns out to be what everyone says it is; indispensable.
The ride and the overall comfort of the RV was great.
We used to travel with 4 kids in our 32' Southwind. Now the kids don't go with us much but when they do, we love the spaciousness, durability materials, and the layout.
We have friends with a nice Tiffin Allegro. I like the Newmar floor plan better and the Comfort Steer.
After 10000 miles, we had a few minor issues. Local Newmar dealer is taking care of them.
I think we made the right decision with the Ventana LE. We also would have liked the Ventana but had to be honest with what we could afford.
Don't know costs yet. I spent about $2500 in fuel and DEF on our cross country trip.
Planning on Freightliner service as soon as we get the RV back from the minor repairs.

Hope that helps some.

LE 40 foot without a tag axle. Ventana 40 foot with a tag axle.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #9

Depending on your budget remember a new bunk model will list for:

Ventana LE 40ft MSRP is $265K to $285K

Tiffin Red 38ft MSRP is $270K to $290K

Ventana 40ft MSRP is $320K to $375K

Dutch Star 43ft is $425K to $480K.
FLCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierfans View Post
John, thanks so much. I did not realize that there was a predecessor to the 4042...that's crucial info bc seeing that the 4042 was "a new floor plan for 2017", i didnt look for used Newmar Ventana Le bunk models. I assumed that to get bunks in the Le we needed to buy new.

Thanks again!! All of this helps so much!
For my money the 4040 was a really good fit for my family, but both of them are great. The 4040 was only a one year floor plan as I don't think that they sold many of them. I think there may be a new one or two left over. Either way I dont think you would make a bad decision. Check them out.

John
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #11

I have owned 5 motor homes, my first two were Holiday Ramblers and the last three have been Newmars. I the quality difference in Newmar is night and day with Holiday Rambler. I have had few issues with my Newmar motorhomes. I have had a Mountain Aire, then a Dutch Star and now I have a Ventana LE. As the old saying goes - you get what you pay for - however, any Diesel product Newmar makes is a very good coach!

I am very happy with my Ventana LE, however, the 360 HP doesn't have the power of the 450 Cummins I had in my Dutch Star - but it also gets 40% better fuel mileage! Unless you drive up and down mountains and long grades all the time - you adjust and it is not a big deal IMO. My Ventana LE is my first coach with Comfort Drive. As everyone says - the difference in the drive is what Newmar tells you it is! Good news - bad news here for me - I am stuck - I will not ever buy or drive another coach that doesn't have Comfort Drive. That means I will only be driving a Newmar or I think a Newell - since Newell's start at ONE million - I think I will stay with my $200K Newmar!

The extra electronic bells and whistles you get with more expensive coaches also give you a better chance for downtime and additional service. I do like IFS, but at a cost of $150K extra new - I can't justify that. I have now driven my Ventana LE 4044, 5,000 miles since May - I am very happy with it! To me, I like Allegro - and if Newmar didn't exist I would buy a Tiffin - but to really tell the difference you need to stay in both coaches for a day in the hot sun - Newmar's insulation is the best - you will stay cool in Florida! Then you need to drive both coaches for at least 4 hours. I am now 67 years old - I have driven a 12 hour day in the Ventana LE - guess what not tired at all from driving it! I got tired in my Dutch Star after 8 hours and I was much younger then - the difference - comfort drive!

As you have or are finding out, Newmar's are in high demand - used ones still depreciate - but not nearly as much as other brands. I bragged about my Holiday Rambler. My Tiffen friends brag about their coaches. But I can tell you - Newmar is miles ahead of the competition. I have talked to many, many service guys who work on most of the coaches - and they always tell me that Newmars have the fewest problems and are usually the easiest to repair. Newmar does an extremely good job with their wiring too!

Good luck on your choice. I would recommend you buy what you can afford - but I don't think you will be disappointed with a Ventana LE if that is where you end up.
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
I have owned 5 motor homes, my first two were Holiday Ramblers and the last three have been Newmars. I the quality difference in Newmar is night and day with Holiday Rambler. I have had few issues with my Newmar motorhomes. I have had a Mountain Aire, then a Dutch Star and now I have a Ventana LE. As the old saying goes - you get what you pay for - however, any Diesel product Newmar makes is a very good coach!

I am very happy with my Ventana LE, however, the 360 HP doesn't have the power of the 450 Cummins I had in my Dutch Star - but it also gets 40% better fuel mileage! Unless you drive up and down mountains and long grades all the time - you adjust and it is not a big deal IMO. My Ventana LE is my first coach with Comfort Drive. As everyone says - the difference in the drive is what Newmar tells you it is! Good news - bad news here for me - I am stuck - I will not ever buy or drive another coach that doesn't have Comfort Drive. That means I will only be driving a Newmar or I think a Newell - since Newell's start at ONE million - I think I will stay with my $200K Newmar!

The extra electronic bells and whistles you get with more expensive coaches also give you a better chance for downtime and additional service. I do like IFS, but at a cost of $150K extra new - I can't justify that. I have now driven my Ventana LE 4044, 5,000 miles since May - I am very happy with it! To me, I like Allegro - and if Newmar didn't exist I would buy a Tiffin - but to really tell the difference you need to stay in both coaches for a day in the hot sun - Newmar's insulation is the best - you will stay cool in Florida! Then you need to drive both coaches for at least 4 hours. I am now 67 years old - I have driven a 12 hour day in the Ventana LE - guess what not tired at all from driving it! I got tired in my Dutch Star after 8 hours and I was much younger then - the difference - comfort drive!

As you have or are finding out, Newmar's are in high demand - used ones still depreciate - but not nearly as much as other brands. I bragged about my Holiday Rambler. My Tiffen friends brag about their coaches. But I can tell you - Newmar is miles ahead of the competition. I have talked to many, many service guys who work on most of the coaches - and they always tell me that Newmars have the fewest problems and are usually the easiest to repair. Newmar does an extremely good job with their wiring too!

Good luck on your choice. I would recommend you buy what you can afford - but I don't think you will be disappointed with a Ventana LE if that is where you end up.
Thanks so much!! Yes a Ventana Le is about our budget....still have 2 young kids that might want to go to college someday! 😂 Almost all our friends think we are nuts for even spending that amount...but by the time you add up what we spend on plane tickets, hotels etc for a family of 4, that's about halfway to the payments on an RV anyway!

Thanks again for all the help!

Tags
vent, ventana