Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 07:45 PM   #1

Thinking about ordering a 2017 Bay Star 3009

Well we certainly have been all over the place on the decision of what to buy for our RV full time adventures! Now we're considering ordering a new 2017 Bay Star and would like any advice on any specials to request. We are thinking about choosing almost every option including the residential fridge with dedicated 1000 watt inverter but we are thinking about upgrading to a 2000 watt inverter wired throughout the coach. Not sure if they will do that. It should have the carrying capacity but we will verify that.

We are not thrilled with awnings over the passenger side slide instead of a slide topper and wondered if anyone has ordered a slide topper instead. We'd like to request that they move the awning so it covers from the mid-door to the back of the coach instead of more forward over the slide. We also wanted the awning to tilt lower for better rain runoff or dealing with lower angle sun so if it's not over a slide it seems like it can do that. So we wondered if it might be better to opt for no awning and get one later that has the features we might prefer.

We plan to take our specs to several dealers - any ideas on typical discounts on a new Bay Star?

Pass along any helpful thoughts please!

Pat & Ellen

P.S. I forgot to say we sold the house!!! Now living in an apartment (what an experience). 6 months to go!!
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi lnanne,
Remember a 2K inverter will provide power up to about 16 AMPs. This means when you are on inverter (no shore or generator power) one can draw about 16 AMPs. Also, remember to consider the weight of the coach. The more you stuff into it from the factory the more it will weigh. The less carrying capacity that will be available for you, other people and your stuff.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #3

If you are putting this out to several dealers I would give Tom Lindstrom a call. He is a really ethical/knowledgeable Dealer and a lot of his business is through the ordering process. He is the only one you will deal with when discussing price and options that can be done. He will have an answer to your questions as well as the best way to do it, and if it cannot be ordered how you want it he will be able to tell you why. I would want the slide out topper as many times we have the slide out but do not extend the awning. You can get all of Tom's contact info by going to Tom's website Tom Lindstrom RV Inc. You won't be disappointed( I think he has a 2016 Baystar 3009 in stock which you may get a better discount on). Good Luck
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:24 AM   #4

Good morning, I don't see a Bay Star 3009 on the Newmar website. Is that a new model ?
mote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mote View Post
Good morning, I don't see a Bay Star 3009 on the Newmar website. Is that a new model ?
Yes, it's a new model for 2017. It's 31' with a couch slideout on the passenger side and booth slideout across. We reached out to Steinbring because they attended the dealer show where newmar introduced the new models. We'd be basically going on faith that we will like this model based on our experience of seeing many different Bay Stars at dealerships and rv shows. I don't think they've made any yet so we can't see a picture even! So we have lots of questions!
Old 04-21-2016, 05:55 AM   #6

The awing on my Bay Star Sport 3004 will dip down quite nicely I found out even with the slide out.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
The awing on my Bay Star Sport 3004 will dip down quite nicely I found out even with the slide out.
That's good to know. We haven't paid much attention to the awnings on the Bay Stars since length, floorplan and carrying capacity have ruled! They look like they can only go straight out and we've rarely used an awning that way!
Old 04-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Check out the sofa before buying... On our 2013 BayStar 3002, we have the 74" Flexsteel Jack-knife sofa. This is not very comfortable for sitting and it makes a small bed. It's not large enough for a full size adult to sleep comfortably. We are looking into removing the sofa and getting 2 recliners.

Good luck on your new Bay Star.

Jerry
2013 Bay Star 3002 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma
JerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
ALL of the Bay Stars we looked at on dealers' lots were ordered with the pull-out bed, optioned up from the jack-knife. We wanted the jack-knife, and had to order it on faith--which we're happy with. But my point is, yes, the vast majority of customers dislike the jack-knife. We like it because we can turn it into a bed while the coach is moving, and still get from the front to the back.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #10

Specials on Bay Star models

Last fall we investigated replacing the bunks in the 3004 plan with a sliding door wardrobe like in the 3401/ Canyon Star 3610/3710. The factory rep called Newmar to request the change. Newmar said no way. I got the impression from the factory rep that specials and Bay Stars/Bay Star Sports do not go together. The only "non order sheet" special that we asked about a different time was for solar prewire. Newmar said yes.
Dizzee2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #11

We were kind of in the same boat as you last year when we were looking. We looked at the 2016 Brochure, looked at many websites, but could not find a 3004 at a dealer nearer to us than the factory so we went there. Took the factory tour which if you haven't, do. Lucky for us near the end of the tour we saw off to the side, the exact model we were looking for and they allowed us to go see it. A month later, we ordered one.

What we found is that what is in the brochure may or may not be exactly the same as what they are actually building. They make minor changes that do not get reflected in the literature. They may upgrade appliances, change lighting, or other items. Sometimes the pictures have been airbrushed or otherwise doctored, or were taken of prototype models.

It is rare, but happened to us... When you order one, make sure you have a detail order sheet that you and your sales guy signoff on. The dealer will then communicate this to Newmar who will at some point put together a build order. Make sure you get a copy of this build order before they start sawing and hammering and do one last verify that they are building what you ordered. In our case they left off the rear window.... It was not critical for us so we worked it out.

At the end of the day we would do it again...

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryP View Post
Check out the sofa before buying... On our 2013 BayStar 3002, we have the 74" Flexsteel Jack-knife sofa. This is not very comfortable for sitting and it makes a small bed. It's not large enough for a full size adult to sleep comfortably. We are looking into removing the sofa and getting 2 recliners.

Good luck on your new Bay Star.

Jerry
2013 Bay Star 3002 - 2004 Toyota Tacoma
We pretty much don't think either sofa is all that comfortable for sitting for very long. We were going to get the jack-knife because we can store things underneath and we think we'll end up replacing it with a recliner sofa or two recliners. We didn't mind the jack-knife sofa we tested but we sure didn't sit on it for long!

Ellen
Old 04-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzee2020 View Post
Last fall we investigated replacing the bunks in the 3004 plan with a sliding door wardrobe like in the 3401/ Canyon Star 3610/3710. The factory rep called Newmar to request the change. Newmar said no way. I got the impression from the factory rep that specials and Bay Stars/Bay Star Sports do not go together. The only "non order sheet" special that we asked about a different time was for solar prewire. Newmar said yes.
Yes, we were wondering about that - how likely are they to do our requests on a Bay Star! We shall see!
Old 04-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacay Wheels View Post
ALL of the Bay Stars we looked at on dealers' lots were ordered with the pull-out bed, optioned up from the jack-knife. We wanted the jack-knife, and had to order it on faith--which we're happy with. But my point is, yes, the vast majority of customers dislike the jack-knife. We like it because we can turn it into a bed while the coach is moving, and still get from the front to the back.
We have the jack knife couch and I like it too. When I took my brother out to look and sit in the models we were interested in, the jack knife in the Bay Star was the only couch he sat on that felt comfortable to him.
The stiff cushions and not too deep seating area of the couch appealed to me. These attributes make it easy to stand up from the sitting position. I sleep like a baby on the hated jack knife.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote