RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #1

Thoughts on the new toilet.

Our past two RV's had the traditional foot petal flush toilets; which worked fine all the time. Our new RV is going to have the macerator toilet, and I'm wondering what we should be prepared for regarding differences in operation.

Do we still use the same toilet treatment regiment? For us that was the Happy Camper product treatment after each dump.

We always used the Scotts single ply toilet tissue. Is it still necessary to use this kind of TP with the macerator toilet, or can we splurge and go with the soft stuff?

Is there anything we should know about switching to the macerator toilet that may not be obvious?

One thing we did not like about our past RV toilets is too often we had a slightly bad smell in the RV. Are the macerator toilets just as susceptible to odors?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 06:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
You don't need to change anything with the new toilets. I thought that with the macerator you could use regular paper, but the owners manual says no. So to avoid any problems if there was a warranty issue, we just used the rv paper. I certainly never smelled anything. The benefit is there is always water in the bowl, so no way for odor to escape. They're really a step up from a traditional rv toilet. We had a yellow indicator when the black tank was nearly full and a red one and inability to flush when it was full.

BBelanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use Scotts with no problem. Add water if necessary so paper is wet before flushing. Only issue is it uses more water if boondocking.

Paul
ptw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilkins View Post
Our new RV is going to have the macerator toilet, and I'm wondering what we should be prepared for regarding differences in operation.
I was confused by the product literature for the New Aire. Shows as standard equipment "Dometic® 321 China Bowl Stool or Macerator Stool*". Asterisk says "*Check with dealership on floor plan availability".

Looked at videos of both the 3341/3343 and don't see a pedal which would be associated with Domestic 321. So it would appear both models have the macerator stool.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up ptw,.
Our flush button also gave you the options of a partial flush or full flush to save water. Unfortunately it took a flush to change it so it's not something you want to change often. Since we had the half bath, we set one to full and the other to partial.
BBelanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:30 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Just use any ol' paper. We use the Walmart el cheapo stuff. Never had need for a chemical in the tank either. You will love the way it all just flows out with minimum rinsing. I even run it out through a 5/8 in. garden hose when further away from a dump point. Never have had any plugging.

Now, for the bad news. It uses something like 1.2 gal/flush, so the black tank fills up fast! You can activate a shorter flush with the keypad, but it still eats water badly. Then there is the controller box, which can further reduce water consumption. I choke mine down with the Manabloc distribution panel. Easier to change consumption when going from a sewer hookup to boondocking. But only the higher-end coaches have them. Would think the New Aire would have it.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:00 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We've been fulltiming for two years with the Dometic macerator toilets and use Cottonelle toilet paper with no problems whatsoever. Just don't throw wipes of any kind even if they say flushable, hair, tampons, etc. There definitely is less odor (basically none), unlike with the non-macerator type toilets.
lucyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyh View Post
We've been fulltiming for two years with the Dometic macerator toilets and use Cottonelle toilet paper with no problems whatsoever. Just don't throw wipes of any kind even if they say flushable, hair, tampons, etc. There definitely is less odor (basically none), unlike with the non-macerator type toilets.
Just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:56 PM   #9

Macerator Toilets

We have the Dometic 8700 Series. The water usage is .85 gallons on full flush and .45 gallons on "dry bowl" flush. The dry bowl flush does not add water to the bowl after flush. You can manually add water to either mode with the wall switch. Switching to the dry bowl mode does not cause it to flush, but it does flush going from dry bowl to full flush.

We use Micro-Blaze Septic in our grey and black tanks. From the label:

"... an all-natural, microbial-based liquid formula that controls odors and treats portable toilet and septic systems. When applied, biological activators accelerate the breakdown of solids into smaller components, allowing microbes to digest the waste. Micro Blaze is biodegradable and contains no toxic chemicals or formaldehyde."
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:23 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Eric, have you done a flow test on that toilet? If you do, you'll find those numbers are incorrect. I asked the tech guy, Bill, and he laughed, asking where I heard that. We both chuckled over how the sales teams always like to paint the best picture of a product. No...it will burn well over a gallon on regular flush.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Eric, have you done a flow test on that toilet? If you do, you'll find those numbers are incorrect. I asked the tech guy, Bill, and he laughed, asking where I heard that. We both chuckled over how the sales teams always like to paint the best picture of a product. No...it will burn well over a gallon on regular flush.

My experience matched Eric's numbers for the "low flow" option. We always set the toilets to that when boondocking, which is when it matters.

With hookups, we turn them back to full, and I'm not sure it really matters at that point whether they use .85 or 1.2 gallons per flush, so I didn't try measuring.
nebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:28 PM   #12
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The water usage will change with water supply flow rate and pressure.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
ptw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:41 AM   #13

Toilet Water usage

No, I have not measured the water usage. Of course, the volume of "material" getting flushed is not only made up of water.
woodosgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:14 PM   #14

My 2015 Dutch Star 4018 has macerator toilets. I have used Happy Camper treatment (recommend) and Cottonelle tissue for 22 months with no problems. Just make sure you add extra water into bowl before putting Happy Camper powder into toilet and then mix well with toilet brush to dissolve before flushing.

RetireeKeith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet